Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Kawasaki Disease or am I panicking

(24 Posts)
craziedaisy Sun 10-Mar-13 07:34:02

Ds complained of earache on Wednesday and the shivers. His temperature was 38.7 so took him to GP. They said probably a virus as ears didn't look like an infection. Responed to nurofen and calpol but temp has gone up to 39 on occasions. He has a cough and a runny nose now but his temp is still hovering around 38 this morning. His throat is still sore and his lips do look a little dry and red but they do look like this whe he is poorly. His tongue looks ok and no rash. Is it normal to be on the 5th day of a fever? His said his legs ache a little.

dikkertjedap Sun 10-Mar-13 08:44:20

How old is your DS? If he is a baby I would contact your OOH for advice, if he is a toddler or older I would monitor the situation.

Sometimes doctors can't see that ears are inflamed/red until a bit later, so if he still complains of earache it is very well possible that a doctor could diagnose ear infection now but not a few days ago. IME ear infections can last a week or so.

Earache, fever, cough, runny nose, sore throat, aching limbs are all symptoms of a number of things but highly likely to be caused by a virus, possibly flu virus.

So unless he seems really ill or lethargic or difficulty breathing or difficulty with light or non blanching rash (in all these cases you may want him seen today), I would wait to see how he is tomorrow. If tomorrow there is no sign of improvement, I would make another appointment with your GP.

Key thing is to make sure that he drinks enough. He may like either hot drinks (for example luke warm tea/chamomile tea) or cold drinks (or ice cream) for his sore throat. I would give him calpol or nurofen if he is in pain or if his fever is 39 of higher (fever is not bad as it helps him to beat what is causing his disease).

dikkertjedap Sun 10-Mar-13 08:46:42

Maybe not clear from what I have written, but if he has any meningitis symptoms you should take him to A&E/call 999 as it is a disease which develops rapidly and hence you need to act quickly

craziedaisy Sun 10-Mar-13 08:54:34

Thanks dikkertjedap. You don't think it sounds like Kawasaki disease?

dikkertjedap Sun 10-Mar-13 09:00:17

Symptoms of Kawasaki disease:

Kawasaki disease can't be prevented, but usually has telltale symptoms and signs that appear in phases.

The first phase, which can last for up to 2 weeks, usually involves a persistent fever higher than 104°F (39°C) and lasts for at least 5 days.

Other symptoms that typically develop include:

severe redness in the eyes
a rash on the stomach, chest, and genitals
red, dry, cracked lips
swollen tongue with a white coating and big red bumps
sore, irritated throat
swollen palms of the hands and soles of the feet with a purple-red color
swollen lymph nodes
During the second phase, which usually begins within 2 weeks of when the fever started, the skin on the hands and feet may begin to peel in large pieces. The child also may experience joint pain, diarrhea, vomiting, or abdominal pain. If your child shows any of these symptoms, call your doctor.

From what you have described his fever is not persistently high (which btw could also be symptom of pneumonia and other diseases), you have not mentioned severe redness in eyes, rash on stomach, chest, genitals etc. etc. The symptoms you have mentioned are more the general symptoms seen with a whole range of viruses including the flu virus.

The child I know with Kawasaki was iirc very seriously ill with very obvious symptoms.There may be a thread on here (years ago) if you search.

Sounds like a nasty virus tbh. I agree watch for more worrying symptoms and keep on with paracetamol/ibuprofen alternated.

What made you think of Kawasaki btw?

craziedaisy Sun 10-Mar-13 09:15:40

Just really that he has had a fever for 5 days and that his eyes are sticky but I think from reading this they have to be red. Sorry I do panic and when you are sitting up in the night worrying everything seems worse. Is it ok to be giving parcetamol/nurofen for 5 days?

sneezecakesmum Sun 10-Mar-13 12:19:02

Provided you don't exceed the safe dosages its fine. Fevers usually do settle by 3 days that is why cal pol etc say check with gp after 3 days, and 5 may mean a bacterial infection that needs treating, like a chest infection. Some viruses do go to 5 days though. Dd had swine flu a few years back and was feverish 5 days. It's a very virulent nasty virus and its still around.

gingeme Sun 10-Mar-13 12:45:47

All of my boys had very similur symptoms a few weeks back and I dosed them up with Calpol/nurofen and it all settled down. A few days later Ds4 got a rash but not raised and his temp went up again. Few days later same happened to Ds5 with rash coming and going and red flushed cheeks. Ds3 just had very red cheeks. Turned out to be Parvo vírus (slapped cheek) yet another vírus sad. Keep an eye out for a flat pale rash on fore arms and wrists. It Looked worse when they were warm. Good luck xxsmile

craziedaisy Sun 10-Mar-13 13:34:18

Thanks everyone. Could I ask gingeme what did your boys temps go upto and how long did the symptoms last before the rash appeared. I would like to think it maybe slapped cheek

gingeme Sun 10-Mar-13 20:28:32

Their temps would peak at about 39.6. It would fluctuate but highest when they were active. The rash usually appeared about 5-7 days after. Its a bit like chicken pox once the rash is out they are no longer contagious and they only get it the once between 2 and 8 years of age x

gingeme Sun 10-Mar-13 20:30:25

They might not show every symptom. Google it. Make sure you let school/nursery know and its important to let any pg friends know x

banana87 Sun 10-Mar-13 20:33:05

There's a bug around right now causing those symptoms. DD2 is down with it and was dx with a chest infection. She's had a high fever since Wed and has been sleeping around 17 hours per 24 hour period. It really does knock them for six hmm

gingeme Mon 11-Mar-13 11:42:12

How is everyone today ?

craziedaisy Mon 11-Mar-13 13:19:25

Hi All. Still quite hot creeping up to 39 and really shivery. Still giving calpol/nurofen is this ok for the 6th day? Called GP and wants to see him later. x

gingeme Mon 11-Mar-13 13:23:20

To be honest the instructions are just guidelines. Mention parvo vírus not that theres alot they can do about it being a vírus. I hope it all goes ok. Keep us posted xxsmile

craziedaisy Mon 11-Mar-13 13:27:12

Thanks gingeme. I will mention it. Did you calpol/nurofen for this long or am I over medicating? It's just that he looks so poorly when his temp rises but perks up an hour after meds.

givemeaclue Mon 11-Mar-13 13:32:58

18 months ago I took my dd to dr she was complaining of ear infection. Dr called ambulance, suspected Kawasaki. Dd had blood test at hospital,onn Kawasaki, prescribed antibiotics for the ear made quick recovery.good that gp is seeing your child but I wouldn't leave it till day 6 next time. Its best to get these things checked early , not saying this to judge it was day 5. when I took my dd and I wished I had done so earlier. Hope all ok

craziedaisy Mon 11-Mar-13 13:59:25

Sorry I don't think I made it clear in my original post that I took him to gp on day 1 and they looked him over then and said it was probably just a virus but gave me antibiotics to try in a few days if didn't improve. He started on these on friday but no improvement. What I am most worried about is the amount on calpol/ nurofen I am giving him.

givemeaclue Mon 11-Mar-13 15:42:53

Ah ok, hope gp can help today

gingeme Mon 11-Mar-13 22:18:53

How did it go at the docs ? x

craziedaisy Tue 12-Mar-13 15:41:37

Well GP saw him and still thinks virus. Still poorly today. Really worried about giving him calpol/ nurofen for so long ( 7th day today) tried not to but temp goes above 39 and looks so poorly so have had to give meds.. Begining to get a bit stressed. Please reasure 6 nights of no sleep and feeling really teary.

dikkertjedap Tue 12-Mar-13 16:16:30

My dd had three weeks with fever over 40 and full doses of calpol and calprofen. She had life threatening pneumonia which the doctor diagnosed during many visits during the three weeks as 'just a virus'.

So if you are really concerned take him to A&E so he can be assessed by a paediatrician. I wouldn't be too worried about giving the medication for this period, it is more the lack of improvement. Maybe he had first a virus and now a secondary bacterial infection which does need treating. I don't know of course, but he won't be the first one.

Personally, but this is given my horrendous experiences with incompetent, arrogant and ultimately negligent, GPs, I would take him to A&E and have him seen by a proper paediatrician or go private and have him seen (most NHS hospitals have paediatricians who also work privately and alternatively you can go to Portland Hospital in London if you are based there).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now