Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken pox. When can she go back to nursery? What about bum spots?

(5 Posts)
ISeeSmallPeople Thu 07-Mar-13 10:56:12

I know I must wait until the last spot is crusty. We are almost there and I'm climbing the walls, she's ordering me around, clearly not unwell any more

But what about spots on her bum? And her vulva? They aren't really going crusty as its too moist [hmmm]

And she smells, & needs a bath. She was having many baths to ease itching, but now they are crusty will it undo all the hard work of crusting if I pop her in the bath and wash her?

You wouldn't think I've done this twice before, but it was ages ago.

please tell me she can go to nursery on Monday. First spot came out last Friday morning

oscarwilde Thu 07-Mar-13 11:54:17

Two weeks seems to be the general advice but she may have a mild dose. If they have all crusted over by the weekend and she is not too unsightly only because other parents may act up I'd send her in on Monday.
Re the bath - don't imagine it would do any harm. Drying her off is the tricky part, she'll scar if they get knocked off too soon. Febreeze grin not helpful sorry

ISeeSmallPeople Thu 07-Mar-13 12:25:07

2 weeks!! shock

Febreze could work smile

She's been terribly lucky that she hardly got spots on her face so even safe pre-poxed house guests aren't recoiling in horror. Only one big one next to her eye that burst. The rest are tiny pin prick spots that never pussed up. Her body however is a different matter, there are craters. Crusty craters.

duchesse Thu 07-Mar-13 12:32:25

Frankly I'd keep washing her, especially the bottom, but to avoid getting her too wet you could in fact soap her bottom and then quickly run her under a tepid shower before patting her dry. You don't want infection in spots.

MrsSham Thu 07-Mar-13 12:50:45

NHS advice to schools is that children are safe to return 5 days after 1st spot appears.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now