Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD has a lump on her neck. What could it be?

(9 Posts)
Crumm24 Tue 05-Mar-13 22:22:32

I have literally taken DS to the doctors today for this exact issue (where was this thread when I was panicking about it yesterday!)! Our doctor reckons it's a swollen lymph node, usually caused by slow drainage or something from a scalp infection (cradle cap in our case), ear infection or cold - could well be that a cold is on the way. Definitely do go get it checked out, but in the meantime please be reassured that its most likely something very similar - it's apparently very common.

tanfastic Tue 05-Mar-13 22:17:11

Swollen gland, I'd put money on it. My ds has got two we discovered when he was three. He's nearly five now and they are still there. Gp referred us to consultant urgently to rule out any nasties but they put our minds at rest straight away.

Homophone Tue 05-Mar-13 22:10:28

Probably a gland but don't wait because if it is more serious you won't forgive self for waiting.

My DD2 is 16 weeks today and we just noticed the exact same thing today!

I am making a GP appointment in the morning. I'm sure its just a gland but its worrying to find a lump!

It seems to be quite common in little ones though!

mumnosbest Tue 05-Mar-13 21:08:36

thanks that is reassuring. i will wait and see. you wouldn't believe she's my third. i'm sure i worry more about her than i ever did with the other two!

NomNomDePlum Tue 05-Mar-13 20:34:46

i have a 4 year old and a 15 month old, they both always seem to get swollen glands when they have a cold. i would leave it till her cold goes and if it's still there, then maybe check with doc. but don't worry too much about it, it really probably is just the cold.

mumnosbest Tue 05-Mar-13 20:17:52

It is softish and moves a little. She has had a cold so it could be. Maybe I should wait a day or 2 and see if it goes down.

NomNomDePlum Tue 05-Mar-13 20:14:23

is it soft, does it move if you poke it? sounds like the right place for a swollen gland.

mumnosbest Tue 05-Mar-13 20:09:28

DD, 13 months has a small lum. It's about half way down between her ear and shoulder. It's under the skin and about the size of a big pea. She hasn't got one on the other side and it doesn't hurt her but has me worried. I'm going to call the doctors tomorrow but wondered what it could be. Any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now