Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Broken leg - any soothing words?

(5 Posts)
kitsilano Tue 05-Mar-13 17:59:22

DD 5 has broken her tibia, spiral fracture and has been in a thigh to toe cast for a 10 days now.

We've been told to keep her as immobile as possible until an Xray on Thursday, as the fracture may be shifting in which case she may need surgery.

She's in a wheelchair, not allowed to put weight on it, and still in pain.

She hasn't been out of the house since Thursday, we are told school is out of the question, our much anticipated holiday to Florida looks sure to be cancelled and I feel like I am going to lose the plot!

Any advice, tips, positive vibes to help me get through the next 36 hours til the Xray and then the next weeks, however pain they may be?

MonaLotte Tue 05-Mar-13 18:25:55

Hi not as bad as you but DS2 (2) has a broken arm (humerus) and has been in a collar and cuff sling for the past 2 weeks. It was re xrayed yesterday and it needs to stay on for another week. He has to have it on top of his clothes for another week before it comes off. I've been beside myself with stress that he either breaks the other arm or damages the other one even more as its very difficult to tell a rambunctious two year old to calm down!
So my sympathies are definitely with you x

kitsilano Tue 05-Mar-13 21:15:26

Thank you - it is so stressful!

MonaLotte Mon 11-Mar-13 09:35:39

How is your dd doing? Ds is getting sling off on Wednesday. He did really well last week. I'll be very nervous when it's off!

Startail Mon 11-Mar-13 09:42:47

DD2 broke her arm twice, first time the cast came off 2 days before we went to Florida. Second time she broke the other arm as I was packing to go to Spain.

That had to be canceled and the holiday insurance claimed on.

Make sure you get a consultants letter saying she can't fly, otherwise they may just expect her to go and not be able to do anything. Pretty pointless if it's Disney or the beach.

Hope she feels better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now