Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Nappy rash advice needed

(7 Posts)
MaryWants2getMarried Mon 04-Mar-13 11:01:26

My 2 year old woke up yesterday morning with diarrhoea in her nappy and very sore genital area. I presume she did it sometime at night and had that nappy on all night , hence the soreness. Since then changing nappy has been a nightmare as it seems to really hurt her when we use wipes. I keep putting nappy rash cream on, but wasn't sure if there's anything else we can do to ease her pain and make the soreness go away?!

RedKites Mon 04-Mar-13 11:07:05

Some nappy free time might help, even just a few minutes here and there. If you do this, I believe you are better to put nappy cream on just before you put the new nappy on, after the nappy free time. Much sympathy - DS1 got similarly sore for a day or two before Christmas, I think connected to getting his back molars. I found it really hard when he was getting so upset, but clearly he needed his nappy changed, and to be cleaned up properly, or it would have got worse.

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 04-Mar-13 11:08:41

Nappy off time as much as possible and yellow Metanium cream. Genius stuff, it'll clear it in a day or so.

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 04-Mar-13 11:09:48

Just use cotton wool and water to wipe for now, it's a bit of a faff but worth it.

Eskino Mon 04-Mar-13 11:12:13

You could give Calpol to relieve her of the soreness.
Give her Nappy free time, and when you have to put a nappy on, smear a good thick layer (don't rub in!) of Bepanthan on first. It's magic stuff, you can also get nappy rash spray from boots which is good as its very cooling and isn't rubbed in.

Hope she feels better soon.

cheekyginger Mon 04-Mar-13 22:24:18

Metanium works a treat. A really thin layer on her poor wee bot.

You can buy super gentle wipes from asda/tesco that are basically just like water. (Im so lazy). My little one had a bad spell of "burny poo" and cotton wool was just a PITA, but these super sensitive wipes were great.

You can get metanium on the minor ailments service in Scotland. Just register at your local pharmacy. And you can get things like calpol, calgel, sudacream etc.

Hope you wee ones bum is better soon smile

babySophieRose Tue 05-Mar-13 10:21:12

Metanium here, great for sore bottoms. One or two applications is enough to get it sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now