Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

If a child with a temp is asleep..

(11 Posts)
corblimeymadam Sun 03-Mar-13 22:32:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HappySunflower Sun 03-Mar-13 22:21:51

I've always managed to gently administer a dose of infant paracetamol or ibupbrofen whilst my dd is still asleep. We use syringes though, which makes it easier.

ilovesushi Sun 03-Mar-13 22:17:08

WAKE HIM UP! I didn't know this and was told off by a doctor for letting my son sleep with a temperature. His heart beat was very fast and his breathing laboured. It can be very very dangerous to let them sleep.

TreadOnTheCracks Sun 03-Mar-13 20:33:28

I have an ear thermometer which is fab as mentioned above. All of mine will wake briefly take medicine and go straight back off to sleep, (even DD who is a terrible sleeper) so I usually dose them up as I go off to bed then check them during the night.

Hope she's better very soon.

pixi2 Sun 03-Mar-13 20:18:32

Hope she is ok. I would have the calpol at the side of me ready to administer if/when they awoke in the night and leave them to sleep. Sleep is good.

nannyof3 Sun 03-Mar-13 20:09:45

Hope shes ok.. It was awhile ago, but i would of woke her

dikkertjedap Sun 03-Mar-13 08:01:36

If you have an ear thermometer you can take her temperature without waking her. If her temperature is 39.5 or higher I would wake her and give ibuprofen or calpol depending on what is due.

In a hospital setting they do wake them to give medication, even if the only medication is calpol.

ScottyDoc Sun 03-Mar-13 06:58:12

Leave her but keep a proper eye on her, and if she seems unresponsive, any strange rash etc, take her straight to hospital. Calpol is fine but won't do a ton, the fact she's burning is a good indication that her body is fighting off an infection/virus, so best things are just rest and plenty if fluids. Just let her sleep and keep a watch on her breathing and general temperature. Lots of awful bugs going around at the moment so stay in and keep cosy smile

IllGetOverIt Sun 03-Mar-13 06:57:27

I would wake. Dise with calpol/nurofen.Offer milk/ juice and re settle.

I know you wrote this a couple if hours ago. Hope she's feeling better soon.

Supergiggle Sun 03-Mar-13 06:54:14

For me it would depend on how the child was feeling, are they well in themselves otherwise? What other symptoms are they? My daughter tends to hallucinate with a high temp and gets sick too so I would wake her, her twin sister however I would leave to sleep as long as it wasn't crazy high and she wasn't in any discomfort

corblimeymadam Sun 03-Mar-13 03:24:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now