Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

molluscum contagiosum children

(210 Posts)
MLPB Sat 02-Mar-13 15:19:05

Hello, I am new to this so apologies if I get this wrong!

Our D has had this for around 18 months now. They are spreading to her face which is making me become impatient with them going naturally.

I tried Collodial Silver spray twice a day for a month.... It didn't get rid of any although it seemed not to spread either.

I then tried pure Tea Tree Oil, dipped on a cotton bud & applied to each spot using a new cotton bud every time twice a day. This seemed to burn the skin and again no change.

We are now using Hydrocortisone Cream prescribed by our Doctor twice a day. We are now on day 5 and if anything they are bigger!

I wouldn't mind too much if only on her body but to be on her face is just heart breaking.

Forgive me as I know their are parents with children who have life threatening illnesses, but I was just wondering if someone could help guide me on what they might look like when they start to go....

Do they get larger perhaps?

Or give guidance on how or what might help speed up the process. Thank you x

MinimalistMommi Thu 16-May-13 12:11:41

About seven years so, I was told to squeeze by GP when they came to a head and looked poppable (and yes lots of blood and not nice for DD) but they did heal up and never came back. She had them on back and torso. I wouldn't recommend this on face though bc of scarring, although I don't think any of my DD's did scar in long term.

BoffinMum Thu 16-May-13 13:11:43

We went for various medical appointments, but in the end I just squeezed them out in two marathon sessions. They bled a bit but didn't spread, and I wiped carefully and put antiseptic on them afterwards. No scaring. DD was 7.

jonolsen Thu 16-May-13 13:18:45

Mumsnet have posted information about Molluscum which provides some information about molluscum http://www.mumsnet.com/health/children/molluscum-contagiosum

JennySense Thu 16-May-13 13:26:45

I squeezed DD's too - there is a core inside each one at that is what you need to remove. The bleeding is a good sign as you know you've got it out. During a warm bath is best. They went really quickly AIIR

AvonCallingBarksdale Thu 16-May-13 13:41:01

I remember as well that we went on holiday to Europe in the summer and "aired" DD's skin and when we got home they had all cleared up bar about 3. However, back home and they all reappeared!! Then sun and sea definitely had a good effect - maybe dried them out?

Southfarnhammum Thu 16-May-13 13:52:46

There is a great website called nomoremolluscum.com very helpful

Tuftysquirrel Thu 16-May-13 14:39:14

My DC were covered in the things, as we're most of the children in the school. Another mum suggested drying the children after a bath then towelling the molluscums (molluscsa?) vigorously. Worked like magic and within a shorter time they had all disappeared on both DC. Think it worked on the popping principle but much easier, no scarring at all. Oh, and I did hot wash the towels after each use. Good luck!

momolili Thu 16-May-13 15:22:40

My daughter (aged 10) had plantar warts on the soles of both feet for 2 years; she got to the point where she was walking on tiptoes because walking any other way was painful! We tried every thing; I finally decided to try Thuja Occidentalis (homeopathy) after reading about it on the net. I did both, oral and local treatment - 5 pellets 3x daily and drops on the verrucas. Did this for 2 months I think. I didn't think it would work and I'm so glad I was proven wrong! I don't know if this will work for molluscum, but maybe there's something similar for it.

4hoursanightisnotalright Fri 17-May-13 13:30:55

Ser Brienne - You can usually buy spray plasters on the shelves next to usual plasters in chemists etc..They just put a thin, clear film over grazes etc but are perfect for this as it covers them up but without plasters everywhere. My kids and I have a bit of a plaster allergy so this stuff is super useful. Also AvonCalling Barkside we had the same thing on holiday in Mallorca - days on the beach seemed to totally get rid of the molluscum but they returned as soon as we got home. The good news is once they have had it once they don't get it again - phew!

Leafmould Fri 17-May-13 17:36:49

My dd had one, and I thought it was part of her eczema, and blasted it with trimovate which seemed to work. She has had no more since then.... Not sure if trimovate contains anti viral?

SerBrienne Fri 17-May-13 22:21:26

Thank you, 4 hours!

dogsagoodun Sat 18-May-13 20:00:28

Ds has just been diagnosed as having this. The doctor gave me steroid cream, is this not the right thing to use?

Also, how contagious is it? What precautions can I take to stop the other two getting it?

It's awful. I hate his perfect little body being marked in this way.

BoffinMum Sat 18-May-13 23:11:26

Steroid cream may make it worse. Suggest a repeat visit, to a different GP this time.

AmayaMommy Wed 22-May-13 05:12:10

I tried so many things when my little on had molluscum! I was at my wits end when my Dermatologist recommended we try Poxiderm. I was hesitant at first after wasting so much money on products that claim to work but we tried it anyway and wow after 2 weeks it was all gone! Here is the link www.skincarebiopharma.com/products/poxiderm

gordonpym Wed 22-May-13 06:13:35

Time for a little update.
DS2 has now only three left on his torso. These are now very small and dry and on their way. His arm is totally clear and molluscum free
So, from my experience, my advice would be:
1) don't wait, it can only get worse
2) do some research. Read and investigate further. For example the success rate for the product advertised above is only 40% www.skincarebiopharma.com/pages/physicians, as published by the manufacturers of the product. So that is not good enough on my book.
3) ideally have them removed if your country is currently accepting the procedure. Right now in Spain, they don't do it anymore and my doctor words were this "carniceria" (slaughter) has provided enough beach houses for the dermatologists hmm.

So this is what worked for us:
- peroxide hydrogen
- betadine or any other iodine solution brand
- tea tree oil
- one zillion cotton buds

Every morning, I apply with a cotton bud one drop of peroxide on each and leave it for a minute more or less. Sometimes, the molluscum will bubble and become white. In that case, I clean it with a cotton bud and put a second drop, and so on. Always use the cotton bud only once.
Doesn't take more than 10 min and doesn't stain clothes.
every evening first I apply one drop of tea tree oil on each, and then on top, a drop of betadine and let it dry. If there is too much liquid, I just touch it with yet another cotton bud and it absorbs some of it. This does stain, so put a white t-shirt instead of Pj so you can bleach it
every day change t-shirts, shirts, pj, towels, and use warm water to wash it. Change sheets as often as you can.
spray Lysol or any other brand of disinfectant bleach-free spray on your carpet where your DCs tend to lie down or play on the floor.

We have reduced baths and when we do it, I put 1/4 cup of bleach in a full tub. I let him play in the water during 15 min, of course no soap or shampoo. And then a shower and wash-

Time consuming, an hassle, but it works. Sometimes, I notice a new tiny one popping, but in just one day, it's gone, that's why I say do not wait and let them get big, because then it will take ages to clear.
It's very very cheap. The most expensive being the tea tree oil which I pay around 10 euros and the bottle lasts forever.

This has become a very long post. Hope it helps.

CoteDAzur Wed 22-May-13 07:44:09

Well, we paid only one visit to the dermatologist who scraped DD's MC spots. It was over in 5 mins, didn't cost much, and they never came back.

He wouldn't even be able to buy a good tent to put on the beach with that money.

ianandsibel1971 Thu 04-Jul-13 12:34:13

It appears that there is a new product available called Molludab, we have just got this on prescription for my DD but you can also get it over the counter as well.
We have used it twice so far, instructions are to use it for 4 to 6 days until spots become irritated then stop and spots will disappear with 5 weeks. Will report back in a couple of weeks on progress

wrenster Sat 06-Jul-13 13:38:46

Thank you SO much ianandsibel I will be straight off to Boots on Monday! One of my DS's has 100+ of the darn things. Let us know how you get on

Redmosh1 Sun 07-Jul-13 22:45:51

My 6YR old daughter E has MC. She has some really nasty spots all up the inside of her legs, some on her arms, although the worst are all up her legs.

Some of these have the white heads on them.

Have been to the doctors and they obviously said to let it take its course but having read the comments above its not something I am prepared to do.

I bought some TeaTree oil and dabbed on and also some Iodine which I dabbed on after her bath but she was screaming that it stung. To be honest I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing, I have read the comments above and there seems so many different ways of treating I'm a bit confused.

I'm going to try and get some of the Molludab as above.

I am now giving seperate baths as I have a 3yr old boy and dont want him to get it.

My chemist was really helpful and suggested Thuja so I will go and have a chat with him tomorrow as it seems to crop up a bit as a way of treating.

I could do with a bit of advice please as I'm not really sure the best way to deal with this.

Redmosh1 Mon 08-Jul-13 22:56:18

bump

hereshecomesnowsayingyoniyoni Tue 09-Jul-13 12:12:56

My dd who's 8 has them between the tops of her legs.took her to the doctors last week and was told not to put anything on them but let them go by themselves which he said could take up to a year hmm
She suffers with excema and he said it was common in children who use steroid creams which she does
I'm taking her back later today as her excemas really bad and the molluscum spots are bothering her as they are really itchy.been giving her antihistamine to try and help.if no joy with doctor I'll try some off the suggestions on here.

flakjacket Fri 12-Jul-13 13:41:53

Another one off to the doctors tonight to try to get a prescription for MolluDab. I have ordered it into Boots for tomorrow and hopefully will be getting it on prescription, rather than paying the £24.50 price tag...

DD (age 10) has them on her neck and chin, beginning to spread up her face sad. She has had them over 6 months now and nothing has worked so far...

ianandsibel1971 Fri 12-Jul-13 23:02:27

Update we have been using the molludab for over a week, the spots have now become inflamed and we are now stopping as per the instructions. Fingers crossed this will be the end of the dam things

goldenlula Sat 13-Jul-13 00:59:58

I plan to get ds2 to the doctor. I am going to use te fact that they have been becoming infected (along with the 50+ boils and styes he has had) in th last 6 months and leaving bad scars. I hope this gets it prescribed!

wrenster Sat 13-Jul-13 20:04:39

A little update from me. Using the molludab (had to buy from Boots for almost £25!) and it's causing the DC a lot of pain as its burning the spots. I've tried it on myself and they aren't making a fuss over nothing, it is painful. Another 2 days to go but the spots are starting to scab which is the idea so we will see how it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now