Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

molluscum contagiosum children

(210 Posts)
MLPB Sat 02-Mar-13 15:19:05

Hello, I am new to this so apologies if I get this wrong!

Our D has had this for around 18 months now. They are spreading to her face which is making me become impatient with them going naturally.

I tried Collodial Silver spray twice a day for a month.... It didn't get rid of any although it seemed not to spread either.

I then tried pure Tea Tree Oil, dipped on a cotton bud & applied to each spot using a new cotton bud every time twice a day. This seemed to burn the skin and again no change.

We are now using Hydrocortisone Cream prescribed by our Doctor twice a day. We are now on day 5 and if anything they are bigger!

I wouldn't mind too much if only on her body but to be on her face is just heart breaking.

Forgive me as I know their are parents with children who have life threatening illnesses, but I was just wondering if someone could help guide me on what they might look like when they start to go....

Do they get larger perhaps?

Or give guidance on how or what might help speed up the process. Thank you x

I can't see your pics (on phone), but I would say the black ones prob have a bit of blood from squeezing and will go. The bubble ones sound like they have the 'pearl' in them still and need another squeeze.

The bazooka did sting a bit according to DS, promise of a sweet meant he would let me do it though so I don't reckon it was that bad.

MLPB Sun 21-Apr-13 20:57:20

Hello gordonpym..... Well firstly I never knew we could upload photos onto a profile.... Again I didn't realise we had one! Still new to all this.

Anyway I have looked at them and I cannot see that you have done anything wrong, perhaps angering them maybe. I know depending on what I used, I would often find then swelling to large reddish spots then calming down. Could the black head be old blood inside? It's just with our DD some would often darken although I would not call them black heads as such then go on to burst & bleed. I am sorry I cannot be more help :-(

MLPB Sun 21-Apr-13 20:59:36

Just reading Thehairybabysmum comment & I would agree with what has been put if that helps. Good luck gordonpym!

babySophieRose Sun 21-Apr-13 21:39:48

Can anyone just tell me how it looks at the beginning, is it the same large spots or smaller. I am asking because my DD has some little bums like spots on arms and cheeks, they do not bother her and at our resent visit to GP I asked what is it and have been told it is a very common virus and will be gone in a year. I think that GP called it molluscum, but did not think much of it, because she was not worried. Thanks

gordonpym Mon 22-Apr-13 07:37:00

Thank you for taking the time to look at the pictures. Well, yesterday evening they were smaller, except the one with the black dot on his arm. I repeated the procedure numbing cream + squeeze, but there wasn't anything inside once I popped the head, just a hole.
I put betadine, and left the others alone.
I'll wait and see what happens in the next days. I have bought the 8 hour cream and I am putting a tiny amount on each.
On another forum, there is a very long discussion from a couple of years ago and the winning cure seems to be peroxide hydrogen discussion focused on peroxide hydrogen which I don't remember having seen mentioned here.
And to babaSophieRose Molluscum comes in different size and color depending on "maturation". The ones on my profile have all been "squeezed" so not the original flesh colored shiny pearl you should have now.
My DS2's first spot appeared 11 months ago. I treated them with Cider Vinegar and they went just to come, this time with a more aggressive pattern. Bigger in number and size. Went to the paed, but here in Spain, they don't do anything, no freezing, cutting, no cream, it's just a virus, they say, it will be gone in a year. I'm fed up to see new spots every week. We have to turn down sleepover, I have removed him from his swimming-classes, ... so I must do something and now.
It is extremely contagious, even auto- contagious, the ones on his arm correspond exactly to the ones on his torso. I am changing PJs, t-shirt and sheets daily, towel after each use.
Follow the route of "just wait they'll go" if you're comfortable with it. If not, research, read and read.

racheael76 Mon 22-Apr-13 18:04:38

hi my child has them on the bottom i squeezed one has he has a few and it became infected so dr gave him some antibiotics-penicillin but it failed to work the first time in our family antibiotics have not worked so i was shocked i didnt think it was possible.my child had to go to hospital and put to sleep which meant an overnight stay in hospital as a small operation was required to remove /cut out infected area /mulloscum. so i would not sqeeze i am suprised a dr has advised that .my child still has others on bum i asked if they could be froze off like a verucca but told no it wont be effective.i still wonder where my child picked it up from a public toilet /school seat ? i always tell to hover though so pretty puzzled

gordonpym Tue 23-Apr-13 08:02:44

I have updated my pictures showing pictures taken on Sunday and this morning. There is a visible improvement. The first 2 I squeezed last week to test this technique are now flat and pinkish, all the others I squeezed on Friday 19/4 have shrunken. The two I wasn't happy with, the ones on his arm, have responded to hydrogen peroxide. I put one drop on it with a q-tip and I saw it frizzle, I then cleaned it, taking all the white foam away, then another drop and so on, after 4 or 5 times, when I cleaned it, a white tiny pearl came out, leaving a clean hole. So I'll keep you posted on our progress.
As usual I put betadine on them afterwards.
I am so sorry to read your terrible experience with squeezing, racheal thanks for sharing it.

gordonpym Tue 23-Apr-13 08:05:55

Just noticed there are no legend with the pictures, don't know why, but the order is correct, pictures come in couples, the first, whiter , was taken Sunday, the other, this morning.
And the white stuff on the last one, is this alien thing popping out of the molluscum- Beurck

i think that getting the pearl out is key...if it has come out of a spot then i would just leave it be after that, they quickly heal and fade.

Glad you are seeing some success!

gordonpym Thu 25-Apr-13 08:01:36

How are you all doing?

YoniOneWayOfLife Fri 26-Apr-13 10:25:28

They are going shock - however after crowing to DH about how only one application of bazooka did it, turns out he's been using aftershave twice a day for the last week on them!

MLPB Fri 26-Apr-13 14:58:47

We are due back to the freezing clnic on Monday as the Doctor did not freeze them all as so many. Those that were frozen have virtually disappeared after 4 weeks leaving a slight pink blemish which I have been told will eventually also go. For our DD the only thing that worked was the freezing.... Just fortunate that not only did the 4th Doctor agree that needed to happen after 18 months of trying other methods, but that a freezing clinic is available at our surgery once a month! Good luck everyone else, keep us updated with how your getting on.

BooCanary Fri 26-Apr-13 16:05:27

Think DD has a few starting on her face now!

I think aftershave is an astringent so would have a similar effect, ie softens the bump so the pearl bit can come out. Fab that it works!

I do think the bazooka stops the spreading though because of the cap that it forms.

Good luck at the freezing clinic for the other poster smile

carasmam Wed 15-May-13 13:40:23

my friends father gave here a seaweed lotion that she started using on her daughter cleared it up in ten weeks and when the younger brother was showing signs of MC it cleared it up straight away.The lotion was aimed at inflamed or itchy skin and is good for managing eczema ,all natural ingredients.The before and after pics are in gallery section of their website. caradermskincare.com

loopydoo Wed 15-May-13 13:49:26

W tried the colloidal silver route but dd was hissy about having anything so eventually gave up and put up with them. Eventually they went.

Like warts and veruccas, they will disappear on their own after a while. Seem take longer than others but they will go.

dufflefluffle Wed 15-May-13 14:11:34

My children had this - one for 9 months and one for 15 months - -nothing worked. We tried apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, squeezing them - nothing. However they have left scars. one child had them 2 years ago and the other (they cleared up about) 9 months ago and they both have pits where the nasty spots were. I'm not convinced that those that scarred were only the ones we squeezed but I think some we left alone scarred too. A woman in France posted on one of these threads that in France doctors treat them aggressively and immediately unlike here where the attitude is that as they are a virus you have to wait until your body recognizes it as such and gets rid of them itself

SerBrienne Wed 15-May-13 14:11:48

I'm sure I remember a 'duct tape cure' from Mumsnet yonks ago, on the basis that the infection couldn't spread if they were covered.

loopydoo Wed 15-May-13 14:16:17

But they are viral, not an infection.

Think the duct tape thing is more about aggravating them (like you do with skin tags) rather than anything else.

bohemimum Wed 15-May-13 14:49:21

Thuja does work - I am a homeopath. You would need to really see a registered homeopath as each child is different and some of the stronger potencies of the remedies are not available over the counter.
No - it is not an acid; it is a remedy made from an american tree, and therefore, totally organic.
Should take around 6 weeks to see results, but if left alone (ie no squeezing) then your child will be scar free too.
HTH.

conorsrockers Wed 15-May-13 14:55:22

DS2 has had these on his torso and arms for 3 years now (at least). They hit an all time high about a year ago and are now dying down naturally. It's a long time to wait.
He won't let me pop them. I've tried!!! But, they don't seem to bother him. On your face is a different matter though sad hope you find a solution soon.

watchingout Wed 15-May-13 15:50:15

All 3 of mine had these. Finally cleared with Thuja 6. I remember that they got worse just before they healed. I.e. no trouble for ages, then a week or so as they erupted (pushed out of body) then hey presto grin all gone. Only one noticeable scar on DS1's back
They do go. Eventually.

My two DD had them, I got some cream and other stuff (shampoo & soap) from molluscum.com. I pulled the head out with tweezers when they got big, no squeezing (the one time I did it, it scarred). They were gone in 10-14 days never to return.
I would recommend just the silvercure ointment, don't bother with the other stuff.

MrsFruitcake Wed 15-May-13 16:02:34

DS has a few on his neck. Doctor said to leave them alone and they'd go in time, so I have as they aren't bothering him and are really tiny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now