Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can anyone give me some advice about childrens' dental braces?

(14 Posts)
outtolunchagain Thu 07-Aug-14 09:51:30

Hi , just wondered if you were still around Amber , my ds had his braces put on on Tuesday and will have to have headgear.

AtAmber Fri 01-Mar-13 21:43:31

My ds is going to have braces fitted in may. He's been told that he will need head gear at night. Does anyone have experience of this?

ATouchOfStuffing Fri 01-Mar-13 21:31:09

And re the moulds - you can trim the ends (or ask dentist to do it) as long as it doesn't cover the actual tooth. Hopefully that might help with any gagging?

ATouchOfStuffing Fri 01-Mar-13 21:27:59

I have had braces when I was 12 and again at 29 (not orthadontist's fault but crazy subsequent dentist who removed all four back teeth in front of widsom teeth coming up, claiming the space would be enough room and my other teeth would definitely not be pushed forwards, grrrrr!)

I would certainly keep banging on about cleaning. I was lazy at 12 and ended up with a darkish mark around one of the brackets which looked like I had food on it for years until I got them bleached a couple of years back. I do wonder if this wasn't helped by the fact that I kept choosing alternate purple and green pads as colour choices, so if they can't have them you will probably be better off! Also with bleaching the white adhesive will always look whiter than the normal tooth so make sure they get it off as much as possible on removal.

Wires at the very back can be trimmed, I used to get problems with it sticking into my tongue even if just a mm out. I was given wax to put on any areas that rubbed as it takes a while for the soft internal parts of the lips to get used to it at first.

It will hurt and be hard to sleep, so anything caploleque you can give to help with pain will be gratefully received when they have just been tightened.

It will feel very odd for about a week after putting on and again when they are off, you mouth feels tiny and then huge again!

I do now have lovely teeth, and they will be happy with the results. After the first few visits they will know what to expect and it will hardly bother them grin <shows off perfect teeth>

Goldmandra Fri 01-Mar-13 21:17:42

You need to lay down the lay about removable braces from day one. DD1 out hers in her pocket while she ate lunch at the stables, it fell out on the carpark and was run over. That cost us £60.

She's not allowed to take this one out to eat.

NorbertDentressangle Fri 01-Mar-13 21:10:41

We've just embarked on what will probably be 2 years of treatment for DD.

Luckily she's really excited about the prospect (is it me or does it seem to be the girls who don't mind and the boys that are more self-conscious/dreading it??).

So far we've had the consultation and we go back in a few weeks for the first stage which is a removable brace. That will be followed by fixed ones at various intervals.

DD is one of those children who is always complaining of some ache/pain/itch/tingle/soreness etc so it could be a loooong 2 years!

Interestingly enough though she didn't bat an eyelid at having the moulds made.

Sparklingbrook Fri 01-Mar-13 21:04:10

DS1 said he couldn't breathe having the moulds done Gold it was horrible to watch. sad

We are NHS and go to choose colours. So far differing shades of blue.

Goldmandra Fri 01-Mar-13 21:01:13

DD1 has just had hers taken off. She, too, found the moulds hard because they kept triggering her gag reflex.

She found the first couple of days after fitting and tightening painful but it was managed with Ibuprofen and Paracetamol and soft food. She also used a fair bit of Bonjela because the fixings caused a few ulcers on her cheeks and tongue.

Her speech sounded a little different at first but she soon had it sorted and certainly didn't drool.

DD1 had to have silver wires because her treatment was NHS and her orthodontist would only do coloured ones for private patients. TBH she wasn't bothered anyway. A few of her friends have had coloured wires ont he NHS so it could go either way.

HTH

We do those from time to time when I accuse DS of kidology ("You've not been in there long enough DS" ) and a 3 minute egg timer.

He hates them, screws his little face up then gets his own back by wiping his blue spittle on the white hand towel when he brushes (Little Git) hmm
grin

bruffin Fri 01-Mar-13 14:41:37

I would also suggest disclosing tablets, to make sure they are cleaning properly. They die the plaque red or blue and you can see which bits they are not cleaning properly.

Thanks Kiss and Sparkling

I've got some of those tiny little brushes (I can't do floss and I've bought some for DD)
I'm going to buy him a rechargeable brush with a much smaller head (his currant one has a normal sized one but I think that'll be too bulky)

I need the same for DD too (she'll be fitted with a brace too, but hers will be take-out-able)

Didn't really get a chance to ask the orthodontist but no doubt I'll come out armed with leaflets.

Sparklingbrook Fri 01-Mar-13 11:36:08

Hi 70. DS1 (13) has had train tracks since last August on the top and the bottom one put on last week.

When he was told it was going to be 2 years he was so upset. Tears all the way home in the car.

He gets to choose the colours of the brace every six weeks. smile

The big thing is keeping it clean and trying not to break it. Toothbrushing 4 times a day and using those little Tepe brushes v important.

The worst bit for DS1 was having the moulds done. He nearly got off the chair and ran away. sad

If he's having fixed orthodontics on the NHS then it will be silver brackets and wires.

He will have a longish appt when the brackets are put on the teeth, then short appts for adjustments. There will probably be discomfort when first put on, and again when adjusted (usually lasts for a day or two). It shouldn't be painful though.

He shouldn't lisp or dribble, he will be able to eat, although may need to cut things like apples up.

For cleaning, interspace brushes are very useful, as are the ortho heads you can by for Braun Oral B electric toothbrushes.

<<I feel a fraud posting on here because I've had a read through some of the heartbreaking posts of children who are ill whereas this is a minor health issue>> But here it is:

My 2 DC have to have braces.
I knew my daughter would need one since her adult teeth came through but I'd always thought DS was ok.
But he'll need a top&bottom fixed brace- so we're looking at a few years of treatment (he's got a scissor bite)

What can he/ I expect?

He hasn't said anything but I know he's a bit shock by the news.
He's got to go in a couple of months to start treatment.

What about pain or discomfort?
Cleaning?
Will he lisp/dribble/be able to eat?

Will he have silver wires or are they the invisible ones for teens?

He's not self concious (yet) about his appearance but he's 13 yo so started to grow into a proper teen.

I know in the dim and distant future he'll be grateful.

DD is very excited about hers. Lots of her friends already do.
But I asked DS if any of his friends do (I haven't seen any boys with braces but he has more friends I don't know).
He just shrugged "I dunno".

Posting in Child Health as this would disappear in Chat.

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now