Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Calpol alternatives that don't make baby hyperactive?

(15 Posts)

DS 8 months is really suffering with teething at the moment. Calpol helps the pain but makes him really hyperactive and as I only really give it at bedtime is making him worse because then he gets tired and can't sleep!

Anyone else experienced this reaction and found an alternative? It is full of e numbers and I assume that is the issue, not sure what else I can get, don't want NSAIDs though, thanks!

BeaWheesht Wed 20-Feb-13 14:10:28

Chemist could advise you?

Pagwatch Wed 20-Feb-13 14:20:04

It's almost impossible to find anything that isn't full of additives. The versions that had sugar instead of sweetener were suitable for DS2 but they don't make them anymore. The chemists I have spoken to just shrug tbh.
I just rarely use anything.

Saltire Wed 20-Feb-13 14:24:04

The only ones that used to work for DS2 and not make him hyper were the supermarkets own brands - asda, tesco or sainsburys.
oh and medised was great too, but that was 11-12 years ago when you could buy it!

RosemaryandThyme Wed 20-Feb-13 14:26:55

It is very unlikely that calpol will be making your child behave differently, plenty of research to indicate the additives theory is an old wives tail.

The time lapse between taking it, and activity level should dis-prove this myth, it will take approximately 90 mins from swallow, through digestion to absorption and effect, so if babe is given med at say 6.30, he'd need to still be unusually active at 8pm.
Chances are he is simply ovre-tired.

For teething there are lots of "natural" things you could try, clove oil etc.
For over-tiredness, I'd recommend the night-time calpol - that stuff can knock out a horse.

Pagwatch Wed 20-Feb-13 14:32:16

Hahahahaha

If only that were true.
Sadly a bout of the shits as well, also accompanying the medicine,made me reluctantly admit that it actually did have a negative effect on him. Plus the whole still being up many hours later thing.
Rather brilliantly we first made the <thunk> connection on an 8 hour flight. Poor poor fellow passengers...

Never had it with ds1. Just ds2

Saltire Wed 20-Feb-13 14:36:14

Pag - we were the same with DS2, never had any troubles with DS1 though. DS2 was also intolerant to artifical sweetners, as we discovered during a trip to scotland hidden bunker at st andrews. Hyper child, underground, confined space.
You can picture the scene?

rosemary it is absolutely the calpol, I know my son very well and know when he's overtired. The hyperactive state only happens when taking the calpol and in the case you described...he would still be active at 8pm. I'd really rather not use drugs to knock him out because of over tiredness either!

pag sounds like you experienced the same thing, I hate using it and only do so rarely, but he is really suffering with it at the mo and is impossible to settle to sleep (after calpol it can take up to 4 hours!) and when waking can't settle again, screaming in pain. The other natural remedies work in the day but night is a whole different ball game. I have only used it about 5 times ever and have just bought some chemist own brand to see how it goes.

Thanks saltire I'll give the supermarkets a go if the chemists one doesn't work

DoingTheSwanThing Wed 20-Feb-13 15:09:47

May not be any use to you unless you can identify the exact culprit, but tescos own brand is no longer bright pink! Just as artificially sweet though.

littone Wed 20-Feb-13 15:17:41

Is nurofen (or own brand/chemist) equivilent any better? Might be worth speaking to GP as my friends daughter was given "plain" paracetamol suspension (friend had devils own job getting her to take it though!)

midastouch Wed 20-Feb-13 18:05:21

which one do you use, ive only recently nnoticed they have 3 kinds, sugar and colour free, sugar free and the normal one, i think thats right, i use no added anything ds still likes taste

littone don't want to use NSAIDs, but interesting about the plain paracetamol, will have a chat to gp, thanks!

midas we were using the sugar free one, didn't know there was colour free as well, although I wonder if the sugar free version would be worse than the normal one because they would replace the sugar with sweetners

heather1 Wed 20-Feb-13 18:46:15

My aunt experienced the same thing with her DS. He was fine with Boots own brand Calpol tho.

For anyone finding this thread in future, we used an alternative from chemists (their own brand) which worked great. No hyperactivity, just calmed the pain and he slept well. It still had the same amount of E numbers in it but they were different numbers and it wasn't pink, it was clear so I wonder if the colouring made a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now