Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Bit worried about dds eye, not sure if medical advice was good.

(16 Posts)

Took dd (13) to a walk in centre today as her lower eyelid is swollen, sore and red. She's also come up with a cold sore today. The 'emergency practitioner' said that cold sores couldn't spread to the eye and that it looked inflamed so for her to take an antihistamine and if it starts getting gunky go to the pharmacist for some eye drops. It hasn't helped, it looks just as swollen if, not more. we think we can see maybe the beginning of a blister or it could just be a stye but I'm a bit worried. Should I be? Her eye itself is beginning to go a bit red. We waited 2 hours this morning, so I don't know whether I should phone out of hours, or let it be. Were we given good advice? Am I overreacting?

dikkertjedap Sat 16-Feb-13 17:48:27

I wouldn't take the risk and phone OOH/get her seen again TBH.

cocolepew Sat 16-Feb-13 17:51:32

You can get a secondary infection from coldsores, your DD needs anti virals. Get it checked out that it isn't shingles as well.

MousyMouse Sat 16-Feb-13 17:59:41

of course cold sores can come up at the eye, esp with children who sometimes rub their eyes and are not very good at handwashing.
get a second opinion just to be sure.

babraham Sat 16-Feb-13 18:03:01

You can get cold sores around your eye, they even make aciclovir cream for the eyes because you shouldn't put zovirax in your eye (speaking from experience here, I get cold sores everywhere!)

starfishmummy Sat 16-Feb-13 18:03:05

Does your hospital have an eye casualty dept? If so go there or just to a&e. If it is a herpes (cold sore) infection it needs treating properly and not with antihistamines. She may need zovirax eye drops.

ClaimedByMe Sat 16-Feb-13 18:08:34

I would phone NHS 24/direct, you can't be too sure with eyes, my dd had a stye/infection in her eye a few years ago and she was given oral and drop anti biotics.

Thanks all, we will have some dinner and then evaluate whether it is out of hours or a&e I think. No eye casualty, else I'd have taken her there. The chap this morning was talking bollocks wasn't he sad

Fuckit we are going to go up to a&e. there are now a few blustery looking things along her eye lid and I'm not going to piss about with that.

Good news is that they think it is a stye and dd is really unlucky to get both happening at the same time smile the doctor did go and get a second opinion so I don't feel too silly but I do feel a bit silly we were told to go back if her vision gets affected at all.

cocolepew Sat 16-Feb-13 21:03:38

Oh that is good news smile

MousyMouse Sat 16-Feb-13 21:06:46

oh, thats good.
hope your dd has a speedy recovery.
you were right to go though, bette safe than sorry esp when it comes to the eyes!

Thanks both! The triage nurse did make me feel very silly (should have gone to OOH and normally that would be the choice I would make but after this morning...) but the doctor was lovely and made us feel that we had done the right thing in going there.
What a waste of a Saturday though sad

Oh my poor love! She had her chickenpox jab yesterday and I just asked to see it. she's having a huge local reaction to it - most of her upper arm is red in a big circle around it. sad no wonder she is feeling really sorry for herself!

dikkertjedap Sat 16-Feb-13 23:29:10

I think you were right to go to A&E, no matter what the triage nurse thinks or not. You don't want to mess around with eyes.

I am surprised she has such a reaction to the chickenpox vaccine.

Thanks dikkert, I've been kicking myself this morning for overreacting, but I've never seen a stye affect the whole eyelid and into the cheek before, with turning the eye red. She looked like she had been thumped.

I'm quite startled about her chickenpox jab reaction too, she has an annual flu jab and gets no reaction and had just a little reaction to her hpv jabs. So , unless its because its a live vaccine?.... She did have a few allergies when she was little, so perhaps the tendency is still there.

Anyway she is sleeping in this morning, I'm really hoping that its all looking more obvious and normal when she gets up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now