Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My 13mo barely eats - help!

(7 Posts)

Great links, thank you!

Snusmumriken Sat 16-Feb-13 10:04:26

Hello again,

These links might help ease your fears. By all means book an appointment with your GP if you are still worried. My DS is 16 months and has never been big on solid foods. He is still BF and is clearly healthy so I have not been worried.

Good luck!

my child wont eat

getting enough to eat

Madlizzy Fri 15-Feb-13 21:09:49

He sounds like he's doing fine. smile

He's bright and alert but I'm not sure about the weight, I haven't been able to take him to clinic recently and he won't stay on my scales long enough to measure!

Today he's eaten about a fifth of an apple, some fish and some bread. That's fairly typical and some days he'll eat less.

Madlizzy Fri 15-Feb-13 13:51:43

Once babies hit around 12 months, their growth slows down and they just don't need to eat as much. Rather than look at day to day, look at what he eats over a week. As long as he is bright, alert and gaining weight, he's fine.

Snusmumriken Fri 15-Feb-13 13:49:48

Is your LO gaining weight and healthy? I would try not to worry if he is. Toddlers don't need very much food and are able to self regulate their intake.

DS is 13mo and barely eats anything most days. He'll have the odd day here and there where he'll eat all of a meal but otherwise it's just a couple of bites at each meal.

Up until now I haven't been too worried but he's getting older and this isn't improving. He has a varied diet, seems to enjoy a wide range of tastes - but just doesn't want to eat food. He's dairy and soya intolerant but otherwise we've given him pretty much everything we can think of.

Any suggestions? Do I need to take him to the doctor or is it a bit early for that? We never had this problem with DD, she's always eaten everything in sight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now