Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

son with sore hip

(6 Posts)
Jestrin Fri 15-Feb-13 20:30:34

Kirdy how did your DS get on at the doctors?

elah11 Thu 14-Feb-13 21:38:12

Sounds like Irritable Hip, its a build up of fluid in the hip joint usually as a reaction to a virus or something. My eldest son was prone to it when he was younger, they usually grow out of by age 10 or so, which he did. Its painful but not serious, treatment is usually rest and an anti inflammatory such as Nurofen. It can take a week or two to go apparently, but in my sons case it was only ever a few days. Definitely go to the GP, but hopefully thats all it is. He may be referred for an ultrasound just to double check , ds1 was after his second or third bout smile. It is important he rests though, moving around and putting weight on it not only causes him pain but prolongs the recovery time we were told, so luckily he is only 4 and still able to be carried up stairs etc. Hth x

kirdy Thu 14-Feb-13 21:33:01

Going to take him doctors first thing in the morning been looking on the internet which I should not of done cuz now im more worried :-( just hope its nothing to serious

FoodieToo Thu 14-Feb-13 21:29:16

There is a virus that does this. Very common in small kids.
Not serious but may need checking out in a and e.
I know a number if kids who had it.

dikkertjedap Thu 14-Feb-13 20:21:10

Could be a number of things so best to see GP tomorrow to get it checked out asap.

kirdy Thu 14-Feb-13 20:15:02

My 4 year old son yesterday was complaining sayin his leg was hurting but I didn't really think much off it until today as he has been limping all day and crying saying he can't walk and when he sits down he needs help getting up. He says its his hip and it looks really stiff when he walks. What could it be? He has not hurt it its just come on all of a sudden he has also been feeling a little unwell the last couple days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now