Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cough cough cough that has lasted years in both children

(42 Posts)
VanellopeVonSchweetz Tue 12-Feb-13 07:40:04

Both ds and dd have had a cough that has lasted for years, it seems slightly worse in winter. It's the same cough in both children. It doesn't produce anything and wakes them and the rest of us up every night. Tried all the usual propping up, olbas oil, vicks (and on feet) , chopped onions on radiator, well ventilated room. GP prescribed us Betamethasone nasal drops and after a week that hasn't worked either. Booked in to see a Paediatrician but its a month away and I can't bear another month of no sleep. Any crazy / normal ideas welcome.

VanellopeVonSchweetz Sun 17-Feb-13 22:01:34

Oh and I meant to say how do i get to that link you suggested ?

VanellopeVonSchweetz Sun 17-Feb-13 22:03:44

I didn't know it would only last an hour, though it doesn't relieve the cough within that first hour after taking.

amillionyears Sun 17-Feb-13 22:18:43
amillionyears Sun 17-Feb-13 22:19:31

The thread may not have everything you are looking for, but it does go into quite a lot of aspects of asthma, as it has been running all day!

amillionyears Sun 17-Feb-13 22:21:19

The salbutamol, [from what I can remember, as the children concerned no longer live permanently at home], lasts for up to 4 hours. And starts to work after the first hour.

Are there instructions in a leaflet in the box?

amillionyears Sun 17-Feb-13 22:25:08

You say that they are going to see the nurse in a week.
She should give you more information then.

It sounds like your children may have had untreated asthma for a long time.So it may take a long time to get their asthma under control.
They may need more puffers, or different puffers etc.

Salbutamol, again as far as i can remember is the lightest dose one.
The nurse will presumably ask you if it has made any difference, or how much of a difference.

chocolatespiders Sun 17-Feb-13 22:31:25

If it a blue reliever inhaler the effects are very short term and the brown preventer inhalers are the ones that the effects last 12 hours so you take morning and night. This is all I can remember from the Asthma clinic. Most people would not take the blue one regularly at set times as it is used as a reliever for as and when relief is needed.

Whojamaflip Sun 17-Feb-13 22:38:27

My ds has inhalers for asthma - his is affected by changes in temperature (ie going inside from out) and certain foods - by far the worst is the artificial sugars and the cough can take nearly a week to get back under control using both the brown and the blue inhalers.

It can take some time for the inflammation to be brought under control...

VanellopeVonSchweetz Mon 18-Feb-13 01:39:14

Once again the cough is here again in both children, just a few hours in to the nights sleep. Even after giving the inhaler its cough cough cough, cough cough cough. Ds cough probably worse tonight than before I started this course of medication. Is this really Asthma ?

VanellopeVonSchweetz Mon 18-Feb-13 01:50:19

Thanks for all these bits of input.

Sirzy Mon 18-Feb-13 03:56:22

Are you using a spacer? Have you been shown how to use the inhaler correctly? How many puffs do you give at a time?

chocolatespiders Mon 18-Feb-13 07:45:51

You could see if there is an Asthma nurse based at your GP surgery they are normally very very good and informative. Think I learn something new everytime we go smile

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 18-Feb-13 07:50:23

I really think your children have asthma.

If the blue inhaler isn't helping for more than a few hours, then they probably need a brown steroid inhaler to use all the time which will keep the inflammation under control.

I am pretty horrified actually that you didn't let them have the inhalers when they were first prescribed. Asthma is a serious illness and you have potentially put your children's lives at risk.

Do they struggle at school, always tired, poor concentration, bad behaviour?

VanellopeVonSchweetz Mon 18-Feb-13 08:44:33

I appreciate your concern but they are very healthy children other than this cough. In fact they are top of the class in everything you suggest they might struggle in. Even the GP didn't prescribe an inhaler the second time around, she prescribed Betamethasone to help stop swelling. I'll be seeing the nurse soon and paediatrician next month. I still think there's an allergy here I haven't sussed out yet. DS cough was worse last night than it was when the inhaler started, to me that doesn't make sense.

amillionyears Mon 18-Feb-13 08:46:22

What times of day are you giving the inhalers?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 18-Feb-13 08:49:08

Sometimes the cough will get worse, because the inhaler loosens the chest.

What is it with parents and a refusal to believe their kids have asthma this week!

Sirzy Mon 18-Feb-13 08:49:31

If you have been given that then no wonder it's not working yet, that takes up to 6 weeks be fully effective. Have you not been given ventolin?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now