Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Should I take a wheezy 2 year old to the Dr?

(8 Posts)
DrRanj Fri 08-Feb-13 06:23:22

She has hada nasty cough for a couple of days, and I know it will only be a virus, but her cough gets a lot worse at night and last night I noticed she was wheezing and occasionally coughing til she was nearly sick, and was consequently quite unsettled.

I get mild asthma and if I get a cold it goes straight to my chest and I get really wheezy especially at night, and I know I would find it really difficult to breathe easily without my inhaler.

So should Itake her to the drs? If it was just a cough without this wheeze I wouldn't bother, but I am wondering if it is worth taking her now rather than leave it and end up having to call ooh if her breathing gets worse...

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Fri 08-Feb-13 06:25:03

Yes take her.

Iggly Fri 08-Feb-13 06:55:51

Er yes.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 08-Feb-13 07:05:24

Yes of course you should take her.

My 22 month old has an inhaler.

DrRanj Fri 08-Feb-13 07:24:48

It just thought with it being very short lived and probably viral they might not do much and think me a bit neurotic! But thanks for your input, I'll make her an apt this morning.

Of course she is absolutely fine this morning! But that has what has happened the last couple of days, fine in the day, cough and wheeze at night much worse at night.

Sirzy Fri 08-Feb-13 07:33:12

Night time cough can be an indicator of asthma. Take her to the GP

AntsMarching Fri 08-Feb-13 07:53:40

Take her. I took mine yesterday for the same reason and they gave her an inhaler. She started using it last night and although she still coughed in the night, I really think it was much less (beginning of night anyway, she didn't wake me up with her coughing which had been happening so I'm counting it as progress).

Iggly Fri 08-Feb-13 08:30:47

They gave my ds an inhaler for similar. Lying down makes it harder to breath especially if you have a cough. Plus the dust etc from bedding (hard to avoid unless you vacuum and air daily).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now