Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please talk to me about Hypothyroidism

(9 Posts)
BoffinMum Fri 08-Feb-13 06:58:12

Yes, in pg you have consultant led care. In reality this means extra blood tests from time to time, and attending the hospital for one appointment.

PuzzleRocks Thu 07-Feb-13 19:16:29

I did wonder about pregnancy. DD1 looked at me in horror and said "I'm never doing that!"

Thanks again for the reassurance..

Schulte Thu 07-Feb-13 19:00:54

To be more precise... the thought of having to take a pill every day made me feel like an old woman. But that's nonsense of course and I don't think twice about it nowadays smile

Schulte Thu 07-Feb-13 19:00:12

Of course you were - it's never nice to receive news like that - I felt awful after DD2's blood test came back saying she's probably allergic to peanuts. I also didn't like being diagnosed with hypothyroidism myself, but mainly because it made me feel like an old woman!

PuzzleRocks Thu 07-Feb-13 18:55:06

Thank you both. I was just reeling a bit earlier.

Schulte Thu 07-Feb-13 18:50:02

Ah and I know it's a long way away but when she starts thinking about having children, she needs to up her thyroxine levels before she gets pregnant.

Schulte Thu 07-Feb-13 18:48:55

I don't know about the condition in children but would imagine it's similar to adults - as long as you replace the thyroxine and keep the levels monitored it's fine. I don't know how she's been recently but you may notice an improvement when she starts on the thyroxine? When I was diagnosed my GP said the good news is that you will be exempt from paying for medicines for the rest of your life - that made me feel better grin. I wouldn't worry too much, it's just something you learn to live with.

BoffinMum Thu 07-Feb-13 18:09:43

I think it's nothing to worry about. They've got her on replacement thyroxine now and that will prevent future health problems. The very fact that they checked TSH is more thorough than most.

PuzzleRocks Thu 07-Feb-13 17:50:34

Got a call from DD1's consultant this afternoon. They have been monitoring her T4 and TSH levels and while T4 is normal the TSH has jumped, since August, from 5 to 11. Consequently she is to start on 50mcg Levothyroxine immediately.

I'm not really sure what I am looking for, perhaps some reassurance from others in the same situation. DD1 is 6 in April.

Thanks for listening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now