Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

food phobia/fussy eater - teenage son - anyone elses older child still suffers

(13 Posts)
Lost68 Fri 05-Sep-14 17:37:31

17 years have gone by and we are facing a son who has always been fussy when it comes to food. He works out regularly and we are worried he is not putting the right foods in his body. We have had blood work and all the tests done through the years and everything seems to be fine. He only eats mac and cheese, hot dogs, chicken nuggets and fries(not my homemade fried chicken) pizza, white rice, pasta with butter, apples, bananas, no veggies, lipton soup, and any kind of bread. He says food isn't appetizing and gets upset and all worked up when we try and get him to try something new.He starts gagging and it turns into a fight with my husband. It has been a fight with my husband and I for years because I was always protecting him and giving him what he wanted. My 19 yr old daughter eats everything. Now I'm realizing it has become a problem. He also wants to get over this but we are all finding it very difficult and don't know where to start.

ElaineP123 Sun 23-Mar-14 13:46:59

My son, who is 14, is very fussy too to the point now where I don't know that meals to cook: he basically wont eat any meat apart from duck, doesn't eat potatoes or any vegetables not even a pea. Wont eat shepherds pies or spa bol. Therefore, I concentrated the other foods he liked like toad in the hole and a few others, now he won't eat these as he's fed up with them. I am running out of ideas. He has certain foods that he likes 'Uncle Bens Thai rice', 'poultry pie' ... which is chicken and asparagus pie and I take out the asparagus and call it poultry or he won't eat it!! He wont eat mash potato or jacket or wedges or new potatoes or white rice which makes it all very difficult. He will eat pasta but only with cut up hot pepperami and bacon pieces in it!! He will eat hot dogs and pizza but I can't give him this everyday and to be honest after a while he would probably get fed up with it and not eat that either. I have a daughter who eats anything and I would love to chance to cook one meal for everyone to eat. Help please!!

ElaineP123 Sun 23-Mar-14 13:41:45

My son, who is 14, is very fussy too to the point now where I don't know that meals to cook: he basically wont eat any meat apart from duck, doesn't eat potatoes or any vegetables not even a pea. Wont eat shepherds pies or spa bol. Therefore, I concentrated the other foods he liked like toad in the hole and a few others, now he won't eat these as he's fed up with them. I am running out of ideas. He has certain foods that he likes 'Uncle Bens Thai rice', 'poultry pie' ... which is chicken and asparagus pie and I take out the asparagus and call it poultry or he won't eat it!! He wont eat mash potato or jacket or wedges or new potatoes or white rice which makes it all very difficult. He will eat pasta but only with cut up hot pepperami and bacon pieces in it!! He will eat hot dogs and pizza but I can't give him this everyday and to be honest after a while he would probably get fed up with it and not eat that either. I have a daughter who eats anything and I would love to chance to cook one meal for everyone to eat. Help please!!

debs5709 Sun 29-Sep-13 21:38:41

my daughter is almost 12 and is an extremely fussy eater. She will only eat chips, (preferably chippy chips) pasta, sausages, super noodles, bacon and chicken nuggets. Almost all beige food and not much past toddler food.....
I have tried everything, good and bad alike, but it seems to be getting worse. She is putting on weight and I have resorted to a dietician who to be fair is only telling us what we already know. I need a real solution and the book suggested by Hunnie seems perfect. I would love to buy it when its done.

Hunn1e Sat 27-Apr-13 08:16:44

I had a long chat yesterday with a child psychologist about dealing with picky eating habits and she suggested that rather than dwelling on what they don't like, we should explore what it is about what they do like that makes them like it. From there, you can try to emulate what makes a food on the good list to increase their repertoire. Not tried it yet but will report back!

Hunn1e Thu 25-Apr-13 23:04:45

I am in the middle of writing a cookery book designed specifically for this. You are most definitely not alone.

Does he eat chocolate cake? If so, try putting puréed beet root and blueberries in the mix - he'll never know they're there and it makes for a really moist cake.

If he eats canned spag Bol, put puréed carrot and onion in it or maybe some puréed parsnip or white beans. Don't use too much to start with and gradually add more as he gets used to it.

So many of the books I tried suggested all these mega healthy diets but if you have a kid who just won't eat anything other than a handful of foods, it's really tough.

It depends on the reason for the fussiness as to how best to deal with it. My step son uses food as a weapon against his super healthy mum and yet I seem to have more success because I'm not that bothered what he eats - not really my problem.....so he's generally fine with us. On the few occasions where he did get fussy, I devised a rule that said meal time starts at say 1.30 and PS3 time starts at 2 and lasts for half an hour. If he hasn't finished by 2, that's fine, just cuts in to PS3 time! Clears his plate every time with that one!

DeWe Mon 04-Feb-13 21:28:38

Well I've got a 12yo who won't eat pizza, sausages, burgers (not sure she's ever tried one either!) chicken in any form, fish (except one brand of salmon on croute), bread, potatoes other than new, pasta... and that's just a start off. She used to happily eat raw veg, but has a wobbly tooth (please fall out soon!) which apparently hurts with "hard" food so won't eat that at present. So I sympathise.

She was, however a very good eater as a baby and toddler, in fact ate everything offered until she was 8yo when she had pneumonia and since then she's grown fussier and fussier.

She will try stuff fairly happily, although sometimes I don't think she's tried enough to really make a decision. If we have a food too often she then decides she's bored of it and won't eat it.

I'm going to get her to write a list of what she will eat. She's agreed to do this. I'm hoping she will look and realise how hard it is to get her stuff to eat because of how little stuff she'll eat. Hopefully this will encourage her to try stuff she says she doesn't like but hasn't tried for years.

Ladyemem Mon 04-Feb-13 19:11:59

bump

Ladyemem Wed 30-Jan-13 19:28:56

Thanks Looseleaf for you advice. No he not eaten veg for 11 years. not even 1 pea! I cant think of any bad early experiences he may had.
Surely there must be someone else out there who has this problem or am i alone :-(

looseleaf Tue 29-Jan-13 18:19:22

Ps for what it's worth I think food phobias are quite hard for the child too and with our dd I put them down to bad early experience as she had severe stomach aches from food for literally years before her allergies were found. Could this be a possibility in fact? In her case wheat and dairy cause problems and as is quite common these are also the foods she craved most

looseleaf Tue 29-Jan-13 18:13:51

Bump.
I really feel for you as our 6 year old very fussy but improving a tiny bit
And it's a different challenge with a teenager really. Will he eat any veg at all or really none? we hide veg in dd's diet but a younger child must be much easier and it does seem a harder challenge within the limits of what your DS will eat. He'd more easily notice finely chopped spinach in his Heinz spaghetti Bol for instance!
I would be tempted to see a nutritionist with him but it's great he's doing well. They might raise concerns (like vitamin C or something) that maybe you could supplement.
Sorry not more experienced but hope someone else will be

Ladyemem Tue 29-Jan-13 12:33:13

I forgot to mention i have 3 other children with no food issues at all.

Ladyemem Tue 29-Jan-13 12:31:23

My son and 13 and has been very fussy since he was 2 years old where he began refusing foods.

He now only eats the following foods

white bread, crackers, sausages, cereal, marmite, jam, peanut butter, tinned heinz spag bol, yorkshire pudding, only mac donalds chips and he drinks milk and water only.
He will occassional will eat a banana or an apple.

He must be the only teenager who has never tasted a burger!

So basically he eats no family dinners with us. (never needs knife and fork)
eats no meat, eggs, cheese, rice, potatoes, veg, pasta (onlt the tin as above)

Not sure what to do. He must be lacking in vit/minerals. doesnt seem to have effeted his intelligence or height growth. Should i take him to gp?
or just give him vit/mineral tablets? and hope he will grow out this phobia.

He is very stubborn and refuses to evens taste new foods. so how does he know he doesnt like it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now