Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD UTI question

(8 Posts)
bumhead Thu 31-Jan-13 06:55:35

I wish they had just given me the one bottle and done that Starfish, it would have saved me and DD a lot of hassle!
DD is still off school, she seems fine-ish in herself but when she pees...poor thing. I am cranberry-ing her up to the eyeballs.
When should it start getting better? She has had 2 days of anti-biotics and this will be day 3.
Do you think I'm being overprotective by keeping her off school? I'm rubbish at working out whether to send her in or not with something like this.

starfishmummy Wed 30-Jan-13 23:24:37

What xxxx says. They cant do the dipstick if there is preservative.
At our gps they ask for one sample in a plain bottle, do the dipstick and then pour the rest into a bottle with preservative to send to the lab.

xxxxmrsxxxx Wed 30-Jan-13 23:12:28

The bottles that are used for dipping in the surgery don't have preservative in them, whereas the ones that are used to send off do.

BlipbipBeep Wed 30-Jan-13 11:05:28

poor little thing, I hope she gets better soon.

bumhead Tue 29-Jan-13 20:41:59

Thanks Sarah. It's horrible isn't it? DD loves cranberry juice so that helps.

Blip - I know, I was a bit hmm about the whole bottle thing, seemed a bit ridiculous to me, especially as it involved another drive round to the GPs with DD who had a temp and was peeing acid!
Will phone them tomorrow and see if they have any results.
Luckily even though she is 7 I still have a waterproof under sheet on her bed so when she wet the bed the mattress was ok but keeping fingers crossed for tonight as the under sheet isn't dry yet. It was awful seeing her in pain every time she had a wee

BlipbipBeep Tue 29-Jan-13 20:18:37

It wont make a difference. If there is bacteria there they will show up on the culture in a lab whether it is dilute or not.
As for the sample for the dipstick, I don't really see why it would make a difference which bottle she peed in, also I don't really see why they couldn't tip some into the other bottle and save you all this effort in the first place?
Any way, the dipstick will only show markers for infection it doesn't tell you the type of bacteria causing it.

sarahangel778 Tue 29-Jan-13 20:13:38

Hi

I think if it is something to do with her kidney's that will show anyway, her wee is still 'wee; if you understand what I mean? My DD who is 4 had an infection just before christmas, was horrible. Luckily she seemed to like cranberry juice so that eased it a lot.

Hope she is better soon.

bumhead Tue 29-Jan-13 11:12:59

DD woke me up at 5 am to tell me she had wet the bed. She said she kept needing to go to the toilet and when she did it hurt and not much would come out, she has a temp and doesn't look great.
Managed to get an appointment at 9.30 so took her along, she had been saying of her left side hurting and when she was 2 she'd had HSP which is a condition that can be related to kidneys so needs keeping an eye on.
GP gave me a prescription for anti-biotics and said he needed 2 urine samples, one for the nurses to dip and the other to be sent off.
She managed a small sample at the GPs which was cloudy and frothy and thick but couldn't go enough again for the other bottle.
Practice nurse said I'd filled the wrong bottle and they now couldn't use the sample she'd done and to go home and get another sample to bring back.
We came home and she drank loads of water and finally filled a bottle BUT the urine is clear looking and not really frothy.
I'm worried that if she is having problems with her kidneys and this isn't just a UTI that the problems won't show with the urine being so diluted.
Do you think it will make a difference?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now