Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

7year olds honking BO!

(7 Posts)
Hoofhearted69 Mon 28-Jan-13 23:38:00

My DS has had this ongoing issue with his pits for several weeks, suddenly he has developed a very strong odour of man smell! Why!! He usually showers before bed and has a hot soapy flannel in the morning for face and bits, ph neutral soap that we have always used, no extra activity out of the ordinary, ( ie gym circuits and whatnot ) he is usually a warm bodied sturdy boy who likes to be in shorts and t shirts all year round and doesn't feel the cold so never wears thick wooly jumpers etc even when really cold out...can sometimes wrestle him into a light fleece but always under duress...he now smells like a brickie in the middle of a heat wave, thinks its well manly but it's not attractive. Any ideas?

sausagesandwich34 Mon 28-Jan-13 23:41:01

deoderant

mitchum do a solid one which is effective but least likely to cause irritation

Hoofhearted69 Tue 29-Jan-13 01:24:31

Thanks sausage, We do use an aluminium free roll on but I'm kind of thinking that he is too young to be having man smell and spots? Realise didn't mention the spots actually, but he seems to be hitting puberty before he is even 8, ( I'm not even going to mention the mood swings and sarcasm, it's like he is having a Kevin n perry thing going on) does anyone else's kid have these symptoms of puberty happening so young?

bodiddly Tue 29-Jan-13 07:10:05

My ds is nearly 8 and I am starting to notice that after sports and beavers, when he has been running around like a loon, that he is getting a bit whiffy. I was going to start a thread asking about best deodorants for them at such a young age. It does seem so young doesn't it?

VenusRising Tue 29-Jan-13 20:14:16

Hoof, I don't want to worry you but in cases of a boy developing precociously, I.e. before 8, you must get him checked out for pituitary disorders. 7 is just too young for a boy to have bo and acne.

For girls, it's a lot more common that the adrenal puberty causes bo and hair, before 8, but with boys it's essential to rule out any abnormality, as it's so much more unusual.

Make an appointment with your GP and insist on a MRI scan of his head, and adrenal scan also.

Hope it's all benign, and just the adrenal glands starting up, but acne is something else......

If you do nothing, and this is true puberty, your son's final adult height may be much reduced, as children rarely grow much after puberty.

Hth.

bodiddly Wed 30-Jan-13 14:44:19

Have you seen that they brought out a range of kids deodorants which are aluminium and alcohol free etc. They are designed for age 8+ and are to be sold by 500 Boots stores around the country. I'm going to get some for ds for those days he does sports and see if it helps.

stillfeel18inside Thu 31-Jan-13 08:56:53

My DS2 has had BO since he was about 8-9, and it is very weird because he's very skinny and not anywhere near puberty in any other way (skin etc) - he's now 11. One thing I did notice is that even though he showered every day, he was just flicking the flannel in the direction of his armpits rather than really washing them until I showed him how! Similarly with a spray deodorant, it was being sprayed under his arm rather than where it needed to be so I gave him a (milder smelling) roll on and the BO is much better now. I do think it has something to do with being in an environment with lots of other kids as he gets it badly at school but barely at all in the holidays!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now