Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Podiatrist for DS2 (3). Costs/ London recommendations.

(13 Posts)
Staryeyed Mon 28-Jan-13 16:41:09

Ds is 3 and had very flat feet which roll in when he walks. He has developed a bunion on one foot. We took him to the GP who was very unhelpful and dismissive. We would like to take him to see a podiatrist but I cant find much information about the prices of appointment/ orthotics. We are in London I have searched a few clinics but none have prices listed. I would like to make a comparison to make sure we can commit to private treatment.

Have you had similar treatment? Could you give me a rough idea of costs. Any recommendations would be great.

Staryeyed Mon 28-Jan-13 21:23:12

Bump

focuson Tue 29-Jan-13 15:16:59

Hi we have been to a chain will look it name cost 45. Ds1 is 10 and has type1 diabetes so take him every 6 months have a work healthcare scheme to get his feet a good massage and nails cut. will get back to you with name.

Staryeyed Wed 30-Jan-13 21:48:36

Thanks. Would really appreciate name.

salvadory Wed 30-Jan-13 21:55:25

Why don't you ask for a referral from your GP to a community podiatrist or a paediatric orthopaedic surgeon? My daughter has had inserts in her shoes from the age of 2 (via community NHS podiatrist). I've now asked for a referral to the ortho as they don't appear to be improving (corrected when in shoes but still very noticeable when in bare feet). Her GP is not overly concerned as bones are still very flexible til after 5 (my daughter is just 3).
I'm in the north west but the same services should be available to you also.
Good luck.

cestlavielife Thu 31-Jan-13 15:53:23

where are you in london?

Staryeyed Thu 31-Jan-13 17:13:30

North London but willing to travel (within reason)

cestlavielife Fri 01-Feb-13 16:38:47

the hampstead clinic is good but maybe more for the bunion -he will do home visits within a few miles for £50 (couple years ago) v v good with children . call and ask .
www.hampsteadchiropody.com/about.html

cestlavielife Fri 01-Feb-13 16:39:22

also this one is good www.hampsteadpodiatryclinic.co.uk/

cestlavielife Fri 01-Feb-13 16:39:47

but you should insist gp refers to community podiatry

Bunbaker Fri 01-Feb-13 16:43:24

Your GP sounds dreadful. Can you see another one and get a referral to an NHS one (which is free).

DD has flat feet and I had no problem getting her referred. We see the (excellent) podiatrist every few months and it doesn't cost us a penny.

Staryeyed Sat 02-Feb-13 21:19:22

Thanks for the info will look at those.

What about orthotics. What do we need to know? Are they expensive?

Will return to GP our but our surgery isn't very good- it's difficult to get an appointment at all and then you never see the same doctor twice. Im not sure how long the process would take and I'm concerned his feet will get worse while we wait.

salvadory Sun 03-Feb-13 21:32:26

The NHS is free, orthotics are free, podiatry services are free, please see any GP and ask for the number of the local NHS podiatry clinic. You may even be able to self refer. Don't let a bad GP make you go private when there is no need. Your child's feet won't be harmed by waiting a couple of weeks to see a GP to ask for this referral. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now