Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

hernia in the scrotum of a three year old

(6 Posts)

My 2 have had 3 inguinal hernias between them. Not uncommon especially in boys. All repaired under GA in day surgery. The younger they are the quicker they heal.

Strangulated hernias are a health risk which is why they will be keen to sort it out.

BlipbipBeep Wed 30-Jan-13 11:02:20

Hi Rosy, thanks for that. I don't think DH or anyone in my family has had one so I have no reassurance there. It has been there for quite a while, some days it looks large others not at all.
I'm very concerned about anaesthetics, again I have no experience of it in my family, and can't help but wonder if it is really necessary.
I have read an old thread on here about hernias in babies and toddlers and there seemed to be loads on there saying that their DCs had been operated on and it was all fine... its just that until this week I hadn't really considered what they would do about it. I know that sounds daft but I just hadn't really worried about it.

rosy71 Tue 29-Jan-13 22:37:25

Hi, ds1 had a hernia, like you describe, repaired about 18 months ago. It's not really anything to worry about. He was 6 at the time but it'd been there for quite a while. iI don't think it's particularly unusual. Dp had one repaired at the same age so it's probably hereditary.

He had it repaired under general anaesthetic. It was day surgery but unfortunately he had a reaction to the anaesthetic and couldn't stop being sick so had to stay overnight. He recovered quite quickly from the surgery and is absolutely fine now. Don't worry about it, he'll be fine smile

BlipbipBeep Tue 29-Jan-13 20:20:47

bump anyone?

BlipbipBeep Mon 28-Jan-13 14:40:12

Bump,

Sorry has no one got a toddler with a hernia? is it really rare? I've kind of taken it in my stride up to this point

BlipbipBeep Mon 28-Jan-13 14:04:00

Hi,

We have a hospital consult next Monday to talk to a paediatric surgeon - firstly get a proper diagnosis and also, I presume, discuss treatment (surgery).

Has anyone any experience with this? DS has had a swollen scrotum on the left for well over six months, GPs thought it was aqueous cyst but a paediatrician who we were consulting on a different matter examined him and thought hernia which is why we are now off to see the surgeon. I have been kind of ignoring it up to now but since the appointment has been confirmed I realise that I have no idea about this condition. except that he wont be accepted into the army!

Any advice or experience that you could share I'd be interested, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now