Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

5 weeks old and moderate deafness

(7 Posts)
hatchypom Tue 19-Feb-13 14:37:35

Don't worry, please. I have 2 profoundly deaf children from birth. My oldest child is now in mainstream school is totally oral and doesn't need any special treatment. Call auditory verbal uk and google them, it's not a life changer if you get good help.

narmada Fri 25-Jan-13 21:44:01

Yes, I bet, but you will cope, and so will he. They can do amazing things these days with early intervention. One of the main battles with any developmental/ disability issues is getting recognition and getting into the system in the first place. YOu've already jumped that hurdle, which is great.

He is still your perfect baby at the end of the day.

Lots and lots of children have issues that you can't necessarily see - I have only realised this since my two have grown up a bit and started nursery/ school etc. You can get this feeling that other mums and babies are sailing through infancy and motherhood, but this is not the case at all. Stay strong and here's a big [[[[[hug]]]]

fengirl1 Fri 25-Jan-13 21:43:55

I have no experience of hearing impairment but realised one of my dds had a severe visual impairment at two weeks old (at the time I thought she was totally blind). Google or ask your health visitor for contact details for your local sensory impairment service. I referred myself and hopefully you can do the same. They were and still are brilliant. It's a bumpy ride but you will both get through it. Sending you a hug.

Lostonthemoors Fri 25-Jan-13 21:36:52

Oh Salukigirl, what a shock sad

I have no advice but just wanted to offer a hand to hold and a hug.

There was a deaf child in my school form who did very well at keeping up with all of us and I think we all just forgot he was deaf iyswim and just saw him as who he was.

Salukigirl Fri 25-Jan-13 21:32:55

It was a massive shock. On Tuesday morning I had a healthy perfect baby, by 6pm in the evening I had a baby with a disability who is going to need special support throughout his childhood. We had waited 4 years for him and had gone through 3 lots of IVF so it seems particularly cruel. But nothing we can do can change this and we have to get on with it the best we can.
x

narmada Fri 25-Jan-13 21:22:55

I have no experience but bumping for you. It must have come as a shock but you sound very proactive - hope someone with direct experience comes along soon.

Salukigirl Fri 25-Jan-13 21:13:59

My 5 week old son has been diagnosed as moderately hearing impaired. It has come as a huge shock and i was wondering if anyone else has had any experience of this? He is getting hearing aids next week.
I have just joined the NDCS.
Thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now