Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD2 16 weeks has just been fitted with a Pavlik harness. Any tips? Feeling rather low about this.

(7 Posts)
RunningOutOfIdeas Fri 25-Jan-13 00:54:53

Thank you all for your replies. DD has been very unsettled so far - waking every 20 to 30 minutes. I have just given her a bottle. Fingers crossed that we get a longer stretch of sleep soon.

Chocolateporridge Thu 24-Jan-13 22:53:55

Just want to say that I have no experience of this other than that I had my gall bladder removed when dd was 9 weeks and can remember how hard it was dealing with a healthy baby in the first few weeks post op, so you have much, much sympathy from me! I hope you have a speedy recovery and that your dd isn't in the harness for too long.

Morepeasplease Thu 24-Jan-13 22:47:29

My dd was in a Pavlik harness for 11weeks from the age of five weeks. I dressed her in a vest under the harness and a Babygrow over the top. Had to up a size in Babygrows to stretch across her wide spread knees but it seemed to work ok and keep her warm. Otherwise baby leg warmers are good. As far as nappies we had some terrible explosive messes (breastfed). In addition lost of milky sick on the shoulder straps. I had to take it off from time to time and wash it, I couldn't leave her in it covered in poo! Took ages to dry though. We weren't supposed to take it off at all, but I also took it off when I changed her vest too as this was impossible with the harness still on. And on the occasions when I washed the harness I also gave dd a bath too which she loved. When I did messy nappy changes I took her feet right out and tucked straps out of the way. The first night she was in it she cried non stop until 2 in the morning and feeding became a bit of a nightmare as I'd just got it sorted and I had to change position. She was a very windy baby with colic and seemed to be very frustrated that she couldn't kick her legs which I'm sure would have helped her! But she did seem to get used to it. And it worked - by 7 weeks her scan was normal then we had 4 more weeks to be sure. I never got used to the harness and was thrilled to see the back of it. My eldest daughter also had DDH and she was put into a Von Rosen Splint when she was only 5 days old and that was much worse!

RunningOutOfIdeas Thu 24-Jan-13 17:09:45

We are waiting for a dietician referral because of the dairy intolerance. I think early weaning might help - less formula and things like rice and bananas that can 'solidify' things.

I have found that our bouncer chair is right for DD but the swing is no good now. We also have a bean bag that I will try her on.

Sorry read 16 months blush dietician bit was useless in that sense. But maybe see the gp again see if there's anythin that can be done to help with the poo issue.

Obviously the younger it's done the quicker it will be and she won't Remember it but I can understand the inconvenience from
Your post as it is so cold and the nappies etc. did u ask the dr if it could wait a bit longer ? Til you have had the surgery and are fully recovered?

Have you seen a dietician? Maybe u could seek some help to try and get the nappies to a normal consistency and make that part a bit easier?

brew

RunningOutOfIdeas Thu 24-Jan-13 14:12:01

Had an orthopaedics appointment this morning to have DD2's hips checked. I had expected to be told that she had hypermobile joints, like DD1, but instead was told that her right hip was not ok (hip dysplasia) and the harness was fitted. The possibility of this had not been mentioned before so it came as a complete shock.

I have done a search for other threads on this but most people seem to have had their DCs in the harness over summer. I am worried about keeping DD warm enough. Any tips?

I will raid DD1's clothes for things to fit over her legs. She is 4, so we have plenty of larger clothes.

Also has anyone attempted a flight with DC in a harness? I am taking both DDs to Australia in March, without DH.

DD2 also reflux and dairy intolerance. She has Nutramigen formula which causes spectacular explosive nappies. I am not looking forward to changing them with the harness on. DD often slept better on her side. Obviously this cannot happen now.

Finally, to add to my woes, I had my gall bladder removed last week. I am recovering well, but it does limit how much I can carry DD. I can't use a baby carrier yet. We had kept DD in her Moses basket by my side of the bed to make nights easier for me. She will have to move into her cot tonight, meaning another sudden change for her.

Sorry this is turning into a long whinge from me. It just seems to be one problem after another. I know others have far worse problems to deal with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now