Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

dd looking bit thin

(9 Posts)
familyfun Tue 22-Jan-13 15:09:15

dd1 is 5.6
she is 113cm tall and weighs 38lb, ive checked her bmi on nhs website and she is at the low end of healthy, it said 6%?
she is always tired, but insists on getting up at 5.30-6am and waking the whole house.
she eats tons of fruit and veg but hardly touches meat or fish, she eats small portions,
i can see all her ribs and her pelvic bone shows.
she is active, never still, enjoys pe and sport. after dinner she will spend every second till bedtime doing handstands/forward rolls round house or in summer we go for walks/parks.
is this normal for a 5yr old?

racingheart Tue 22-Jan-13 16:24:57

I know little girls that are similar, so she's not abnormal IYSWIM. But it's a bit odd that she's always tired but also hyperactive.
Can you try to feed her up sneakily? I learned all sorts of tricks for DS2 who was skeletal (and also up at 5am every day but constantly tired!)
Instead of butter, I put philadelphia on his bread and added peanut or almond butter to his jam sandwiches. Always use wholemeal bread (if she'll eat it) as it has some protein in it. Make smoothies of bananas and full fat milk or almond milk, with added cream.
Is there any protein she likes? I think it's less important to have a massively varied diet at that age than it is to eat foods from all the important food groups. It's great that she loves fruit and veg.

Charmingbaker Tue 22-Jan-13 16:29:28

Rather than check her bmi, check which centime she is on for height and weight in her red book. that will let you know if there is a discrepancy between the two.

Charmingbaker Tue 22-Jan-13 16:30:07

Centile - not centime

familyfun Tue 22-Jan-13 20:25:02

height 60-70th centile
weight 15-20th centile
she was always low centile height and weight so in proportion but has shot up very tall but not gained weight.

she loves milk and drinks milk all the time at home and water at school. she is getting a fussy eater, used to eat anything but now says she dislikes everything. she ate mince meat tonight but left the pasta. she eats yoghurts. she eats potato and all fruit and veg.

Charmingbaker Tue 22-Jan-13 20:33:52

How much milk does she drink? With younger children you are told not to give them too much milk as this can fill them up, meaning they dont want to eat so much. Whilst a couple of glasses of full fat milk will be good for her, any more than that might put her off her meals.

familyfun Tue 22-Jan-13 20:42:17

on school days 3 cups of semi skimmed a day. weekends 5 cups.
she seems to try and fill up on liquid

Charmingbaker Tue 22-Jan-13 22:34:15

At your daughters age 450ml of full far milk will give her all the calcium she needs. If she's having yogurt, she won't need as .much milk. It might be worth reducing the amount of milk she has ( but still make sure she gets enough to keep calcium levels up) and seeing if this improves her appetite. You could even try getting her to help plan and prepare some dinners, often a good way to get kids to try foods.
I would also keep an eye on her growth charts, just measure/ weigh her every 2-3 months, if she goes up or down a centile ( or the gap between weight & height widens) go and see your GP, they do see lots of parents worried about what their children eat but if you have the growth charts to show why you are there they tend to pay more attention.

familyfun Wed 23-Jan-13 11:07:10

problem i have is she sips at water and doesnt drink enough but she guzzles milk and always asks for milk so ive always given it her.
she has been on semi skimmed but i might move her back to full fat even thpough she is 5.
half the time its like shes too busy to eat.
she leaves her lunch at school, not all of it but maybe half the sandwiches, to go and play. she says shes finished dinner to go and play, if i say theres nothing till morning if you leave the tabel, she doesnt care. she has no real interest or enjoyment of food.
her sister is 2.2 and eats more already although she also drinks tons of milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now