Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Open heart surgery :(

(4 Posts)
lolalotta Thu 30-Jan-14 19:32:29

Yummum19 how are you and your DD getting along? My DD had open heart surgery last October at 6 weeks old. She had transposition of the great arteries and a VSD and one valve was narrower than the other. She made it through it all and is doing fabulously, please let me know if you have any questions. Good luck and big hugs to you.

DameSaggarmakersbottomknocker Mon 21-Jan-13 13:21:37

Hi yummum. My dd has significant heart problems and has had OHS surgery and several other procedures, the first at 4 months old.

There's no point in saying don't worry because you're obviously going to but the Brompton have a fabulous team and dd will be in safe hands.

I post on the Heartline discussion board, loads of supportive folk and there are lots of Brompton mums over there who'll be able to offer specific information.

Scout19075 United States Sun 20-Jan-13 20:26:12

yummum, I didn't want to read and run. No experience of having a child with this but I myself have had it and am now 38 (nearing 39!). I didn't have my surgery until I was nearly 10, though, so clearly remember life before, the hospital and life after.

<<Offers a virtual hand to hold>>

yummum19 Sun 20-Jan-13 20:23:08

Was told on Thursday my precious DD (4months) has to have open heart surgery within the next month sad She has a VSD and a pulmonary stentosis (narrowing of the pulmonary valve) Obviously I am absolutely terrified and byside myself with worry. The operation will take place at the Royal Brompton in London. Any mums out there that have been through this with their little ones and could offer some much needed advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now