Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Temperature of 39.6 for 12 days in a 5 year old.... any ideas what is wrong?

(29 Posts)
hutchblue Sat 19-Jan-13 09:59:59

DD has had a temperature of 39.6 for 12 days now.

When we give paracetamol or ibuprofen it comes down to 37.6 for a few hours, then shoots straight back up. This is night and day.

When she's had medicine, she's almost like her old self, though tired and still hot and flushed looking. She will eat and drink. But once it wears off, she's very hot, and becomes distressed etc.

In the early part of the illness she fell asleep every day. She is not sleeping anymore now, which we think means maybe she's getting partly better but the temperature has not shifted.

We've been through 2 antibiotics which have made no difference and seen a consultant paedtrician at hospital in the A&E dept, as were getting desperate, as our GP was out of ideas.

Had chest x-ray, run blood tests (we're awaiting results). Initial results show a viral infection of some sort but we don't know what yet.

Has anyone on here ever had this kind of thing happen to their child? Or would anyone have any advice? What should we do next if the temperature stays high? It will be 2 weeks tomorrow.

Glad you have a diagnosis, must be a relief.

I had it at uni, took me years to recover fully as I did too much too soon.

Make sure the school don't pressurise you over absence, she needs to recuperate,.they can send work home once she is feeling better, although at 5 she is not missing too much at least.

Check out Reading Eggs online phonics and reading program, lots of fun (my 3.5 year old loves it). Phonics and reading is one thing she would find it hard to catch up on. It has games and songs too so might cheer her up a bit.

Zoomania Mon 21-Jan-13 19:20:40

Glad you know what it is now. Hope she gets well soon.

hutchblue Mon 21-Jan-13 20:24:39

Thank you very much for your kind wishes everyone and suggestions on keeping up at school. Yes we'll look into that. Be good to get even just a little bit busy again smile

Babymay1 Tue 22-Jan-13 22:45:37

Hey, glad you know what it is now. Hope your little one gets better soon x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now