Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

NHS direct still haven't called me back after 5 hours, is there anyone around who can give me some advice?

(74 Posts)
HeadFairywithacapitalHandF Mon 07-Jan-13 06:52:44

ds started throwing up last night at midnight. Initially I though Norovirus. Not nice, but he'll be over it in a couple of days. But he's had no diahorrea and no temperature. What made me call NHS Direct was that he has tenderness in his lower abdomen, specifically to the right hand side, which gets worse when I gently press it. He's been throwing up every 20 minutes since midnight. I'm relieved he's got no temperature, but the abdominal tenderness worrys me. What are the chances it's appendicitis?

He's 5 btw.

Both me and ds1, who had an appendectomy when he was 4 had high temperatures.

If your mum is still at home with him, she could try let your ds lay on his back, and lift his right leg up so it stands at a 90 degree angle from his body. If this gives your ds a sharp pine in his right abdomen, you might be closer to an answer.

So scary and frustrating for you.

(My bet is on tummy bug)

HeadFairywithacapitalHandF Mon 07-Jan-13 08:40:30

Quint.. I did try raising his knees up to his chest at about 3am this morning and there was no increase in the pain which did reassure me.

I'm hoping it is just a tummy bug... not nice but doesn't need an op to fix it.

HeadFairywithacapitalHandF Mon 07-Jan-13 09:08:22

well just spoken to my mum and she says that she's not convinced it's appendicitis... she thinks it might be a urinary tract infection as she says the pain appears to her to be bladder pain. She's giving him one teaspoon of water at a time, waiting 5 mins and if he's ok, giving him another one. If he keeps it down for a bit then she'll make up some ribena with a tiny pinch of salt (we used to live in the tropics and that's what we used to do when we couldnt' get any drinks of those sports drinks with electrolytes)

Zoomania Mon 07-Jan-13 09:34:16

I would suggest seeing a doctor ASAP. Appendicitis could still be a possibility and even if it is a urine infection he needs a sample sending off and antibiotics.

Why not make an appointment with the GP for today and take in a urine sample to confirm?

They may want to give him antibiotics if it's a UTI.

Apologies for x-post!

werewolvesdidit Mon 07-Jan-13 09:41:10

I think you should take him to A and E. I nearly died from appendicitis when I was 5. It burst inside me and I was in hospital for a month.

PeazlyPops Mon 07-Jan-13 09:49:13

The advice everyone is giving is the same, OP. Why the reluctance to take him to A&E?

HeadFairywithacapitalHandF Mon 07-Jan-13 10:05:09

Ok, just spoken to my mum and ds... he hasn't been sick for nearly 2 hours now. Has drunk some water and some flat coke. He's even nibbled a cracker. He says there's barely any tummy pain left, just a bit now and then. My mum is happy he's definitely improving. He's just tired from being up all night. I'm still going to try and leave as soon as I can to go home and give him a cuddle, but he seems much better. I'm hopeful it was norovirus albeit without the diahorrea.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

boxoftricks Mon 07-Jan-13 10:15:13

<Dons flame proof suit>
WHY has this child not been seen by a health care professional?!
OP- you come on here looking for advice. Lots and lots of people, with experience, TELL YOU TO SEE A DOCTOR. But yet you ignore them. Ok, we can't physically see your son, but surely it's common sense that your YOUNG child cannot keep down fluid, has abdo pain and spasms, for a long time, you'd at least get an ooh appt?
I hope to god your ds gets better soon, but please, better be safe than sorry!

yellowsubmarine53 Mon 07-Jan-13 10:23:06

Hope that you're able to get home soon and good to hear that your ds seems a little less acute.

yellowsubmarine53 Mon 07-Jan-13 10:25:19

Give OP a break, fgs. She's been up all night with an ill child, had to go into work and wanted people to 'talk' to whilst she was assessing situation and making arrangements.

Laying into her for 'ignoring' people isn't helpful.

HeadFairywithacapitalHandF Mon 07-Jan-13 10:27:33

boxoftricks he is keeping fluids down now, and eating. And his pain is subsiding. And NHS Direct have called back (after 8 hours!) and said take him to docs if there's any worsening or if there's a sudden worsening to take him to A&E. There really is no need to take a child who is now taking in fluids and eating and hasn't slept all night to A&E to sit there for God knows how long to be assessed.

DameSaggarmakersbottomknocker Mon 07-Jan-13 10:36:47

Sounds like he's over the worst HeadFairy. Sympathy; it's horrible when they're sick and you have to be elsewhere and relying on other people's judgement.

werewolvesdidit Mon 07-Jan-13 10:46:20

Don't forget that appendix pain can come and go.

HeadFairywithacapitalHandF Mon 07-Jan-13 10:50:35

werewolves we'll keep a close eye on him. My mum reckons she had appendix pain for several months before it suddenly got excruciating. Apprently it's writhing on the floor unable to speak sort of pain.

Welovecouscous Mon 07-Jan-13 11:17:49

Head my mother NEVER had that much pain and her appendix almost burst. Better to have it checked.

If it was appendix pain and the pain has reduced it can mean it has perforated. Mine perforated and it was a very worrying time for my parents - IVABS and treated for peritonitis.

Of course, it may be a bug. But given the fact that you cannot effectively rule it out yourself, I think it is very unwise to leave this unchecked. At least take him to the GP.

It is quite difficult for a GP/Dr examining someone to know if it's an appendix or not, when they have the patient right in front of them. Don't try to guess yourself.

GobblersSparklyExplodingKnob Mon 07-Jan-13 12:32:15

As Santas said, a friends ds had a perforated appendix which was originally ignored as the pain had started to ease, he ended up very poorly, though is fine now.

That said when both of mine had noro in November they were sick every 20 minutes for about 12 hours, and it was every 20 minutes, you could set your watch by them. They both also had very tender tummies, dd has a temperature but ds didn't, neither of them had diarrhea.

Whatever it is hope he gets well soon.

glad he seems to be over the worst and your mum is looking after him.
what a worry.

"Apprently it's writhing on the floor unable to speak sort of pain."

It is the only pain that has actually made me faint....

Marne Tue 08-Jan-13 10:15:03

Glad he's feeling a bit better. My dd has had noro a couple times, 2 years ago she had all the symptoms you describe (no high temp and no D), she was sick for 3 days (not even keeping water down), on day 3 i took her to hospital as she was showing signs of dehydration, luckily she was not dehydrated (but was getting close), we were given dioralite (sp) and told to spoon in into her (little and often), after 12 hours of spooning it in she stoped being sick and was able to keep something down.

Stomach bugs and noro effect people in different ways, one person might just have D and a dull tummy ache whilst another person may be sick for days. Some children tend to be very very sick and others may just be sick once (my dd2 is always sick non-stop for 2+ days when she has a bug, dd1 will be sick a couple times).

I alway phone NHSD or out of hours if dd is sick for more than 24 hours but often theres not much they can do, we often end up stuck in A&E only to be told (give flat coke), but its always worth getting it checked out if you are very worried.

HeadFairywithacapitalHandF Tue 08-Jan-13 10:55:16

Blimey Marne, that's hardcore puking! Ds is much better now. Last night he said his bottom was hurting and was desperate for a poo but said it hurt too much so I gave him a warm bath and it was like magic - he had one episode of diahorrea and he was like a different person. No pain, suddenly happy and relaxed again. He even had a slice of toast and a banana and some more Ribena.

He was too scared to sleep in his own bed last night though, he was convinced he was going to be sick again so he slept with us and is completely back to normal today. He still hasn't eaten anything else and he's so skinny, but he's drinking and full of energy so I'm not worried.

Marne Wed 09-Jan-13 12:36:50

Dd2's puking was scary, she's done this a few times but i try not to panic as much (as i know with her it often lasts 3 days).

So glad your ds is feeling much beter, hopfully by the end of the day he will be eating again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now