Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Slapped cheek?

(4 Posts)
schilke Wed 02-Jan-13 08:54:49

Thanks. We're at my parents and leaving the girls here for a couple of days. My mum was going to take them to soft play, but we've decided against that just to be on the safe side. I think I'll scrap the sleepover too - meant to be having a friend each on friday night.

schilke Wed 02-Jan-13 08:51:03

I've answered my own question! Pretty sure it is slapped cheek, although apparently no longer contagious once rash appears. Now, dd2 been complaining of tummy ache for a few days.....have to decide what to do about sleepover on Friday.

They share a bedroom so surely dd2 would have caught it too. Do I keep her in just in case. Bloody viruses - hate it when you are infectious before rash .....you don't even know if you've got it!!

Arithmeticulous Wed 02-Jan-13 08:47:49

3 of mine have had it. DC1 had classic based round the face cheeks and temp for 24 hours, then slapped cheeks went and were replaced by a lace-like red rash on arms and legs- likes gloves and socks.
DC2 had red cheeks and all over lace rash at the same time. Only one to say it was itchy.
DC3 had no red cheeks (that we saw) but had a bright red lace rash all over - GP diagnosed something else until we said the others had had SC.

Dr Google was v vague about presentation and my 3 had it within a month of each other and different every time.

schilke Wed 02-Jan-13 08:31:10

Ds2 had slapped cheek years ago when he was 3. Bright red cheeks and not much else.

Yesterday we took the girls out for a walk in the sun (wow - sun!). After 20 mins dd1's cheeks went bright red. Not a running around pink cheeked red, but a strange blotchy bright red rash.

When we got home, I googled slapped cheek. Pictures looked right, symptoms pre rash included itchy skin - now since the start of holidays she has complained that she itches everywhere. Also, said rash could be particularly noticeable in sunlight. She has also been tired. We assumed it was sc. However, the rash has gone. Is it possible to have it and the rash not really show?

I know it's not much of a big deal, but don't want to take her out too much - I know of risk to pregnant women.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now