Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

glucose in urine-possible causes?

(158 Posts)
ariane5 Mon 31-Dec-12 13:51:55

Dd (3) has been unwell lately and urine samples have shown glucose over the past week ranging from a trace to +++

What could cause this? She has been poorly a lot recently with ear/throat infections and has been very tired and had an itchy rash.

Only one of the samples showed wbc and she was treated for a suspected uti but this morning her sample was showing trace of glucose again.her diet is not high in sugar.

What could cause this?

ariane5 Fri 04-Jan-13 22:51:37

How many times a day is too much to check blood glucose? I feel like when dd is home that I will worry and do it too much just to check she is ok and I don't want to make her fingers sore.

I want her home but I think iam actually scared of her being at homee now and coping on my own as have the other dcs and I'm terrified.you should leave hosp when you are better but she won't be better and I am nervous.

kpandthesunshineband2 Fri 04-Jan-13 23:30:36

We test anything from 8-15 times a day now which is probably far more than when first diagnosed. This comes from realising how variable the glucose levels can be. In some ways the more you test the more information you have but obviously there has to be a balance. You may have a blood glucose in range say at breakfast & then again before lunch but without ever testing in between you might not realise that levels are maybe spiking in between.

Also DS has poor hypo awareness so can't rely on him to notice.
We always test before meals & bolusing/injecting but test lots in between & also through the night depending on all sorts of factors!
( we also now use a continuous glucose monitor which you may have heard about & this measures glucose levels in the skin all the time via a sensor & transmitter, although we still do plenty of finger prick tests as these are more accurate for bolusing etc)

As you get used to things you will get more of a feel for it. It is daunting going home but you will start to settle into a routine which will be a lot easier at home. She will be happier & probably get better food & start to get back into her own routine.
Make sure you are confident about how to treat hypos and hypers. Make sure you have contact details for someone at the hospital for advice ( including out of hours)
Make sure someone is going to be in touch with you daily at the start to advise on doses as there will probably be lots of gradual changes to make.

ariane5 Fri 04-Jan-13 23:39:48

Thankyou kp.I just suddenly feel like it is all too much to take in. Dd has a nap in aft still but I keep thinking what if she has a hypo when asleep etc or if I'm out I know I will keep having to check.

She gets irritable and angry when starting to have a hypo then very drowsy but how will I know if sometimes she is just grumpy-will I panic everytime thinking glucose levels dropping.

Will we get given hypostop gel for at home? Or glucagon injections?

I have not heard of skin glucose monitor-where do you get them? Are they just sticky or a needle in the skin?
Sorry for so many questions

kpandthesunshineband2 Sat 05-Jan-13 01:55:26

Try not to be too worried - it is a huge learning curve, especially in the early days but sadly with type 1 you do just have to get on with it. Concentrate on the basics - the rest will come.Look at getting the Ragnar Hanas book as you can dip in & out of that but means you always have info at hand.( Would seriously recommend you get onto CWD email list when you are home - there is a specific toddlers list as well & you will find lots of lovely people who have been through all this & will have great advice & experience. You can feel very isolated when you get home & it is great to know there is a place where you can chat with others who 'get' it. Also there will no doubt be others in your area who you might meet up with for a coffee & real chat)

You should be issued with glucagon injection for severe hypos at home( we've not had to use ours yet but always have one & so does school). Think generally hypostop is advised against now as if not able to take things like dextrose or lucozade due to being unable to swallow then hypostop also potentially dangerous.
Some hospitals will fund Continuous Glucose Monitors but many won't. We have bought our own for now but are hoping to get funding for the sensors as they are pretty costly. There are 2 main ones - Dexcom & the Medtronic Enlites which are used alonside the Medtronic pump. They are like a filament in the skin but put in with a needle type inserter.
Has the hospital talked to you about pumps at all?

I carry the gel and the glucagon around in my bag, never used either but they make me feel better! To start with I'd be watching ds2 all the time, wondering and panicking slightly - I'm a lot more relaxed now!

What are you using for hypos? We use apple juice (200ml cartons) because I have the only 5yo on the planet who won't eat sweets. But you can carry lucozade/jelly babies etc.

We test 8 times a day routinely, more for hypos/lots exercise/days out/illness/r in the month. Averaging 12, I think. His fingers are fine.

It is a lot to take in, but you will be an expert in no time at all. You will also make mistakes (completely forgetting the meal injection, overdosing, underdosing ...) and your dd will be ok.

Get yourself on CWD, you can email day and night, someone else will be up too!

ariane5 Sat 05-Jan-13 15:17:18

Dd was allowed home this afternoon.we were shown all medicines and a nurse went through it all with us and we got a glucagon injection pack too she showed us how to make it up if we ever need to.

Dd seems ok, she's watching a film and having a little snack.she's very happy to be home.iam terrified though.

Goldmandra Sat 05-Jan-13 19:51:15

That's good news!

Try not to worry too much. You've already shown that you can cope by intervening when the nurse was doing the wrong thing. You are intelligent and responsible and your DD will be fine in your care. In no time at all you will be taking it all in your stride and it will feel normal.

I'm glad she's happy to be home. Just give yourself some time and space to work through your own emotions about all this too.

ariane5 Sat 05-Jan-13 19:59:33

I feel completely overwhelmed, I can't stop watching dd.she has had a couple of tantrums and I was worried it was a hypo but her levels were ok both times (10.2 and 12.6) I know I am going to turn into a manic finger pricker as I am so worried about her.

I am still a bit nervous about the injections, after her dinner dh was going to do it but dd cried and wanted me to so I had no choice and I really didn't want to (I've always had problems with needles) Its not as bad as I thought but I still don't like it.the finger pricking I'm fine with but not the injections yet.

On the positive side dd had a good dinner (much better than in hosp she hated the food) she ate lots tonight, oven chips,red pepper, cucumber, sausages, pasta, strawberries and soya natural yogurt so I'm pleased she has her appetite back.

I just hate the constant uneasy feeling.I keep wanting to cry I was asking dh earlier if perhaps they got it wrong and she will get better miraculously, I don't even fully understand how this happened all the drs said was a virus probably caused it.they did bloods for antibodies but no results yet.can you ever be misdiagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Or can the pancreas ever repair itself?

jmf294 Sat 05-Jan-13 21:09:43

Hi there,
Glad you are home.
All I can advise is take things one day at a time.
If you need to cry then please cry, scream, shout, whatever.

Don't worry about doing too many tests- we test loads- up to 20 a day but the information is helpful and keeps my son as much in range as we can manage.

I'm relatively local to you- if you would like to meet up for a chat/ coffee/ cry or would like your child to meet someone else with diabetes send me a message. My son is 5.
Please go to the CWD website and join the online children and toddler lists. It took me a year to find them properly and it has been a lifeline.

kpandthesunshineband2 Sat 05-Jan-13 21:42:04

That's great you are home. After our diagnosis it was such a relief to get home & get normal meals as the hospital food was so rubbish!
You will feel worried but just take things slowly & a day at a time. If you are worried about her levels then test.
It is quite normal to feel so upset about it & at times even now I still very sad about it. I went through a lot of those feelings of disbelief too as it was such an unexpected diagnosis & even now it still catches me sometimes. That's why the diabetes on line community is such a great thing as a lot of us really can understand how it feels whereas friends although sympathetic & kind will never quite get it.
Hope you have a good night tonight.

Goldmandra Sat 05-Jan-13 22:01:48

You'll probably go through all sorts of feelings about this including anger, guilt, denial and sadness but they are how you will process this new situation and acceptance will be the end result.

You have to question it. That's your job and seeking answers is really important.

Allow yourself to cry and shout and scream if you need to. When my DD was diagnosed with ASD (a different member of my family has diabetes) I used to cry real tears while cutting up onions or cry in the shower because those were ways I could let it out without anyone else realising.

For me information was the key. It gave me a way to feel more in control. Maybe that will be the same for you too.

kpandthesunshineband2 Sat 05-Jan-13 22:14:13

That's great you are home. After our diagnosis it was such a relief to get home & get normal meals as the hospital food was so rubbish!
You will feel worried but just take things slowly & a day at a time. If you are worried about her levels then test.
It is quite normal to feel so upset about it & at times even now I still very sad about it. I went through a lot of those feelings of disbelief too as it was such an unexpected diagnosis & even now it still catches me sometimes. That's why the diabetes on line community is such a great thing as a lot of us really can understand how it feels whereas friends although sympathetic & kind will never quite get it.
Hope you have a good night tonight.

kpandthesunshineband2 Sat 05-Jan-13 22:16:25

Oops posted twice! Sorry

ariane5 Sun 06-Jan-13 05:21:20

Checked dd at 12 and 3 and she was ok blood glucose not too bad (16.3 and 13.1). I still can barely sleep but ds2 is unwell too with a sore throat+temp so he has been crying and hates his cot tonight.

I am finding it hard with dh-if I get worried and want to test often he gets annoyed with me saying dd is ok/all the test strips will be wasted etc and that she's not hypo just sleeping/tired/having a tantrum etc I know he stayed with her in hosp not me so prob can tell better than I can but I can't help it I NEED to test so much as iam petrified if I don't I will miss something.

If I test and levels ok I feel happy on my own with her if he says not to then I feel like I'm too scared to be with her.I love her so much I want to play with her, sit with her and just be normal but she terrifies me.In hosp when she had a v low hypo I got to the point where it took a while to come up the nurses looked concerned and I suddenly wanted to open curtain and run I didn't want to see if anything worse happened.I feel like a horrible person admitting it but iam scared of being on my own with her. Iam trying to tell myself that at least if I'm worried I can test (but dh makes me feel guilty abt it) so I can immed see if level ok or not.

I don't know how my mum manages, my sister has epilepsy and she must be on constant alert, at least there's something I can test to see how Dd is, my mum can't do that with my sister so I suppose that would be a lot harder.

I thought it was hard enough already with all dcs medical problems, appts, worrying and the big med bag we had to take out everytime we went anywhere now it seems not just difficult and daunting as before but completely too much for me.I don't want dh to return to work I simply can't cope with all 4 dcs and their problems alone now I was pushed to my limit before now I'm way over it sad

Goldmandra Sun 06-Jan-13 10:49:07

It is very early days and you are not a horrible person for being scared. As you get more used to managing this condition you'll feel more confident and need to test less. In the meantime, even if you're testing a bit more than necessary, your DD is still at home with the person who can care for her best.

Try not to think of the future including this massive monster pushing you over your limit all the time. It will get smaller and a lot more manageable and you will cope.

Have you joined the CWD website like jmf suggested? I think it could really help you.

Do you have a sympathetic friend or relative who could come and stay for a while after your DH goes back to work?

kpandthesunshineband2 Sun 06-Jan-13 11:54:20

There is nothing wrong with doing tests & no such thing as wasting strips. I guess because you weren't in hospital all the time it will be much harder for you at the start but as you get used to seeing the results you will become more confident. We still all have moments of feeling out of control with diabetes!
Does your daughter recognise any symptoms when she is hypo?
When is the hospital team going to be in contact with you to discuss any changes to levels? Hopefully they are in contact with you.

kpandthesunshineband2 Sun 06-Jan-13 11:54:28

http://lists.childrenwithdiabetes.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/uk

kpandthesunshineband2 Sun 06-Jan-13 11:54:45
ariane5 Sun 06-Jan-13 11:58:38

Dd is still doing ok, but ds2 has been really ill and will probably need to go to out of hours gp or a+e he can't keep milk or medicine down and has v high temp and sore throat.It is the last thing I need.I want to be at home with dd getting used to things but ds is still bf so I have to b with him.

ariane5 Sun 06-Jan-13 13:51:24

Ds2 a bit better now after having nurofen and keeping it down.

The ward gave us numbers to phone if we needed help as diabetes nurse off but we r hoping she is back and in contact tomorrow.
Nearly ran out of strips (they only sent us home yest with 20 so went and had to buy some till get pres)
We will be going to dr in morn to get a prescription of everything so that we have plenty of spare bits.
Dd blood glucose was 15 before lunch I was worried it was a bit high but she's having a nap now so maybe it'll creep down as she sleeps as she had her injection after lunch she has 1 unit after brek 0.5 lunchtime 1 again at dinner and 2 units of a different inj at bedtime.

ariane5 Mon 07-Jan-13 04:23:00

Iam exhausted.ds2 has not slept as has a really high temp.

I don't want to be this sleep deprived as I worry about making mistakes with injections.I have given in and come downstairs to make tea as ds2 was crying and I didn't want to disturb dd2.
Luckily my mun has dd1 and ds2 at her house, at least they won't be disturbed by either the baby crying or dh alarm going off at 12,3 and 6 to do dd blood sugar.can't wait to actually see the dr or nurse I think we need more diet advice maybe thatll help us prevent hypos as that's why they want us checking dd throughout the night.

I can't believe how tired iam my eyes are stinging and puffy and my bones ache I have not slept.I lost half a stone between mon-fri last week and I feel awful.I really hope things start to get better soon sad

fiverabbits Mon 07-Jan-13 04:46:21

ARIANE5

Hugs to you.

My DS was diagnosed type 1 when he was 8 and my DD had tonsillitis every month from age 4 till 12 years when she had her tonsils out. Trying to cope with everything was really hard. I suffer with insomnia anyway which I still find is the biggest problem. Try to write any new information down just in case it doesn't sink in when tired. Get your husband involved as mine still doesn't really know what to do and my DS is now 32.

Keep talking to other parents it does help.

ariane5 Mon 07-Jan-13 05:00:42

Thankyou, it is so helpful to know that there are people who understand as I felt isolated before due to dcs problems but this last couple of weeks have really upset me and made things so much worse.

I feel bad for complaining.dd2 is being so brave unlike me .

Rosa Mon 07-Jan-13 06:41:32

Oh you poor thing so much to cope with. Hope ds gets better and I am sure that the diabetic nurse is used to people asking for help and advice when needed ....Its new to you. Hoping you manage to get a bit of rest today.

buildingmycorestrength Mon 07-Jan-13 20:45:45

Hi ariane5, thinking of you. Very hard time for you. Try to get some real life support.

My SIL has type 1, came out at about age 8. She now has two beautiful children and manages her condition fine.

It will improve.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now