Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Do ear infections come without a temperature? Docs or not

(14 Posts)
Inmyopinion1 Tue 01-Jan-13 05:51:08

There's pretty good evidence that you are more likely to experience side effects from your antibiotics than see any shortening of the duration of an ear infection. The biggest issue as you've discovered is pain and, for your child's comfort and to prevent your distress, I would suggest treating it proactively rather than re actively - give paracetamol or ibuprofen (the latter tends to be better in earache) as often as you're allowed for at least the next 48 hours. The inflammation won't pass just like that so why wait for the pain to return and then endure an hour waiting for medicine to kick in. This is the most effective way to avoid your doctor.

If you do go to the doctor, consider the following:
- give pain relief prior to going, they do not need to see your child in pain to believe your child is getting pain
- be open to the idea of suppositories if your little one isn't good with their meds. These can be expensive though so a prescription is preferable (ask about diclofenac which is a similar medicine to ibuprofen and comes in suppository)
- ear drops (containing antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory steroid) can be excellent but tend to be infective when there is lots of discharge (drop wont get through to the skin itself)
- they aren't trying to not give oral antibiotics to be difficult/bloody minded/unhelpful. In your case I imagine you'd prefer not to have to force another medicine into your little one three times a day for the next five days.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 30-Dec-12 23:34:13

You'll get used to it ! grin

wonderstuff Sun 30-Dec-12 23:32:31

Thanks all, I'm a real avoid dr unless totally needed type, but will get appt. in the morning. Poor bunny was complaining at bedtime of sore knees and I just brushed it off, not knowing that knees were actually ears. He wouldn't have calpol, had to force it down him.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 30-Dec-12 23:28:38

No not always a temp. The clue with mine was utter, indescribable clinginess and not wanting to be put down, or to let go of me as toddlers.
I'd go with the anti-bs myself - I had a lot of ear infections as a child and they bloody hurt. Can't imagine leaving the surgery without them < hoicks bosoms >

Willmouse Sun 30-Dec-12 23:24:22

My DS3 was screaming in pain with ear on Christmas Eve with no temp. Took to dr who said had ear infection and prescribed anti biotics. Got home, howling continued until ear perforated and leaked liquid for a day and a half. Still no temp but can't imagine the pain he must have been in (aged 3).

Get it checked out.

mrslaughan Sun 30-Dec-12 23:21:55

I should add, depending on your relationship with your Dr, and given the holidays, he may give you a prescription, and give you a timeframe, in which if you don't see improvement, to fill it.

mrslaughan Sun 30-Dec-12 23:19:58

Bollocks anti-biotics don't help with ears - it's just the statistic says most ear infections will clear on there own, in most children, so to prevent anti-biotic resistant bacteria (they are trying to prescribe anti-biotic less and less), they will see if it clears without anti-biotic.
You need to take him to DR - that level of pain, tend to suggest a very inflamed ear drum- it may burst overnight (check his ear in the morning for discharge)....but take him to DR, so even if DR doesn't prescribe anti-biotic, it is logged, so then if it doesn't clear, you can take him back and the Dr should then give him anti-biotic.

mrslaughan Sun 30-Dec-12 23:15:20

Haven't read whole post - but DS had chronic ear infections, and not always with a temperature. he might get a temp a few days before, then be fine - but then behaviour would be haywire, then terrible pain...lived at the dr's

MajesticWhine Sun 30-Dec-12 23:13:09

Yes, probably should do if you can easily get an appointment, because the docs will probably be closed on Tuesday.
I think ear infections usually clear up by themselves within a couple of days though. Give max dose of painkillers allowed.

sipper Sun 30-Dec-12 23:06:40

Also avoid sugar if fighting ear infection. And take a decent probiotic - in powdered form when ear infection and pour directly onto tongue last thing in the evening. Biokult v good one for this purpose.

sweetiepie1979 Sun 30-Dec-12 23:04:07

Ear infections are awful for you. Ith, I hope he sleeps through. Last time I took my little one to doc for dire ears they just said calpol apparently antibiotics don't help with ears. They told me not to wash her hair and keep warm lots of fluids. I hope it dose t get too bad there is screaming in this house when it's ears. Ooh also a pillow under the mattress at the head end rely really helps!!! Fluid draining etc that's why they wake up with it. That's best advice I got x

wonderstuff Sun 30-Dec-12 22:52:41

Will do, not done ear infection before. He was so upset, not like him at all.

BeaWheesht Sun 30-Dec-12 22:02:42

See how he is tomorrow.

Ds always gets very high fevers with ear infections but dd doesn't seem to.

wonderstuff Sun 30-Dec-12 21:50:17

DS is 2, woke up screaming, very upset, not like him, finally got out of him that his ear hurt, he had been complaining of sore knees - seems he got his body parts confused. Have forced some calpol down him and he has settled and gone back to sleep. No temp. Do I take him to the docs tomorrow?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now