Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How Long till I Go Back to the Doctor?

(11 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Sat 29-Dec-12 15:55:56

DS 6yo has had a virus for 6 days now.

GP diagnosed it as an upper respiratory virus (can't remember the exact term) and said it could last for 7 days.

DS's temp is spiking every few hours at 100C and we're treating it with ibuprofen 3 times a day.

I've never seen him like this, so listless and pale. It just doesn't seem to be improving.

I can't help worrying that it might be some thing more serious as he's always managed to shake a virus like this so much quicker in the past.

Themobstersknife Sat 29-Dec-12 16:04:39

Poor you. Its so horrible when your kids are ill isn't it?
On the one hand, I wouldn't be overly worried. The temperature isn't particularly high, and is coming down with ibruprofen. Unless he is dehydrated, has a rash or other suspect symptoms shown on the NHS website, I don't think a doctor would be overly concerned at face value. To give some context to this, when DD2 was about 6 months, she had a much higher temp which did not shift with calpol. The doctor still ummed and aahed as to whether she should go to the hospital. We ended up taking her but she was fine.
However, you know him best. You seem worried and if your instinct is that he is not getting better, then I would take him back.

BeaWheesht Sat 29-Dec-12 21:41:23

Do you mean 100F? If so then that's only about 37.7/8 isn't it? I wouldn't medicate for that at all unless he was in a lot of pain. What's his usual temp?

It sounds like he's just recovering to me tbh and not actively ill but maybe I'm reading it wrong? Always trust your instinct though and get him checked if you think he needs it.

BaconAndAvocado Sat 29-Dec-12 23:00:24

Yes Sorry, I meant 100F, I thought you need to use medication around the 98F mark?

DS went to bed very peaky looking but with NO high temperature! Hurrah!

Thanks all for,advice and support smile

BeaWheesht Sat 29-Dec-12 23:22:15

Gosh no 98 is about 36 C isn't it?? Hang on, off to google.....

BeaWheesht Sat 29-Dec-12 23:25:58

Yes it's 367 which is pretty cool actually.

I have 2 kids and would never medicate unless they're in pain or have a fever of 38.2+ and not always then. Sometimes it's best to leave the fever so it kills the bugs quicker.

I think you should have a quick read up on fevers - 98F is absolutely not in any way a fever of any kind. I think up to 99.8 is about normal and 100F is debatable whether a fever or not. It's a good idea though to know what your sons baseline normal temperature is eg: ds runs at 98ish whereas dd is usually closer to 100.

Startail Sun 30-Dec-12 00:10:36

It took my, never ill for more than a day, DD2 6+ days and a week off school to get rid of the virus she had just before Christmas.

She's just started Y7. She's never had a week off school, ever.

She is a very bouncy, always practicing ballet or trampolining child.
It was horrible seeing her so subdued.

I hope your DS feels better soon there really are some nasty bugs this year.

BaconAndAvocado Sun 30-Dec-12 16:34:16

Thanks all for support.

DS no longer has a high temp, still semi-confined to the sofa/bed and definitely subdued.

As the temp is snow gone, don't think a visit back to the docs is likely, general consensus seems that this virus takes longer than usual to leave the body. Just hope he gets time to play with his new toys before school starts!

Re the question of when to medicate for a high temp, it's been quite an eye opener reading others' views. When I've got more time I'll take a proper look on t'interweb.

DS currently badgering me for the iPad so it's looking more hopeful methinks smile

Themobstersknife Sun 30-Dec-12 21:01:17

So pleased he seems a bit better!

BaconAndAvocado Mon 31-Dec-12 15:06:55

Thanks mobster, don't think we'll be staying late at friends party tonight tho, don't want to wear the poor lad out!

Inmyopinion1 Tue 01-Jan-13 04:47:53

With regards to treating temperature, the World Health organisation advises treating temperatures above 38.5. Ultimately temperatures are a physiological response and must give some benefit for fighting disease. However, you may find that your child is very miserable at only mildly elevated temperatures, it cold be the temperature that's bothering them or it could be pain and therefore they'd likely benefit from paracetamol or ibuprofen.

As a rule, if they are hot and happy you can probably leave it but if they're miserable then treat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now