Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Bad Breath

(4 Posts)
MarmMummy Fri 28-Dec-12 15:36:25

My DD aged 4 has had extremely bad breath for the last 3 weeks. I brush her teeth every morning and night with her, and the smell comes back within seconds. Probably tmi but her breath smells of poo.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Can't bear the idea of her friends and teachers noticing... and it's very strong and hard to miss

Thanks

Looster Fri 28-Dec-12 15:54:22

Get her teeth checked by dentist in the first instance. If no cavities or signs of decay, take her to the GP to see if there is another cause. When my 8 year old had bad breath, she needed a little filling

MarmMummy Fri 28-Dec-12 21:38:14

Thanks. Will get her checked out smile

bonzo77 Fri 28-Dec-12 21:44:36

Common causes of bad breath, adult and children:
Poor oral hygiene (brush the tongue too)
Tooth decay
Gum disease
Respiratory tract infection (includes tonsillitis, sinus problems, chest infection, a cold)
Constipation
Other lung conditions

If the smell really is like poo I would be most suspicious of constipation or gum issues. Though it doesn't rule out the other causes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now