Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can someone tell me what just happened?

(22 Posts)

She's been up a bit coughing past few nights , think it may well be a combination
Of over tiredness due to coughing and the excitement of Xmas and she did feel a bit warm so perhaps it's temp induced too. Obviously just brain overload or something. She calmed down quickly enough I guess and I made sure she was awake and aware of where she was before I tucked her back in.

DollyTwat Thu 27-Dec-12 22:12:05

My ds2 used to do this when he was tiny, I'd forgotten til your thread. He'd wake up screaming, really screaming and it would take ages to get him back to sleep (if he'd ever been awake of course). I don't know what caused it or when it went away, I do remember it used to scare the living daylights out of me

He didn't seem to remember it though

sandycloud Thu 27-Dec-12 22:07:50

My dd used to do this about once a week for about 2 years. Would usually hear running around upstairs. She would point behind us and run off. Would last about 10 mins. Stopped when about 7. Was quite scary but she never remembered the next morning.

Very odd sad happened Again tonightsad

Well she looks tired this morning but don't know if that's down to coughing last night or the night terror. She remembers being freaked out but can't say what happened.

BillyBollyBrandy Thu 27-Dec-12 10:03:42

I only remember that I am frightened then that DH is there. Only like you would a nightmare.

All these people thinking that they r being attacked sad really hope that's not what's happening to dd! She's had a few isolated evenings before where she has woken up crying and can't say why she just seemed a little weirded out but nothing major.

This is the first time it's ever been this freaky where she was almost trying to
Get away from me before realizing it was mummy and daddy.

MrsDeVere Wed 26-Dec-12 21:22:22

Keep an eye on her. She may be coming down with a temperature. My DS1 used to get night terrors when he was ill. He once punched me full in the face shock
It was like a cartoon, I just saw this little fist coming straight at me! I used to get them as a child when I had a fever too.

Might well be the excitement though.
DD had one after I had been in hospital. It was a reaction to the stress I think. She only ever had one.

NcNcNcNc Wed 26-Dec-12 21:21:31

I have them, have done since I was a child.

These day they tend to only come when I'm v stressed.

I usually think I'm being attacked or there is a spider in the bed. If DH tries to comfort me I go mad, trying to attack him (I've caused him harm) because I think hes the attacker/trying to stop me getting away from the spider.

Only thing you can do is try to comfort, or just stay close to make sure they dont hurt themselves.

I can look totally awake and speak etc but I'm not awake at all.

And u remember that after billy ? sad

BillyBollyBrandy Wed 26-Dec-12 21:15:19

Just wanted to add that I have periods when I am "awake" but have an altered perception of reality. So can see DH talking to me, but think it isn't him it is someone else who wants to hurt me. Then I wake up properly.

It is just a variation on a nightmare and happens to me if stressed and has done since a child.

firsttimemama Wed 26-Dec-12 21:08:24

Night terrors are most common in the first 45 mins of sleep. My DD used to get these when she was about 3.

Sounds like she's asleep. Glad I know what I'm dealing with now. Was starting to think she'd been possessed or somethin as that's honestly what it looked like. Thank all of you for the reassurance it's normal
And although frightening its not harmful. smile

BoreOfWhabylon Wed 26-Dec-12 20:42:09

It might be all the excitement. I think it's just a 'wait and see' really.

Main thing is she's ok and it won't be so scary for you if it does happen again. smile

Could it just be triggered by the build up and excitement of Xmas do you reckon? Or could this be start of it all? She's 6 by the way

wonkylegs Wed 26-Dec-12 20:31:16

Sounds like a night terror, DS suffered quite badly with these for a spell and honestly in the long run they didn't bother him although they terrified me. Just make sure she is safe and comfort her if required, unfortunately there isn't much else you can do.

Oh and thank u both smile

Going by that info it's very difficult to decide if it's a nightmare or night terror. She wouldn't have been asleep long. To be honest I don't even know if she had been asleep at all as her sister was still awake.

She did seem awake when we found her just panicked and she did say she had a dream and was able to talk.

Couldn't tell us what it was all about though.

BoreOfWhabylon Wed 26-Dec-12 20:17:53

It does sound like a night terror (depending on her age). if so, nothing to worry about, although it will have been very scary for you

Some information here

What r those and what can I do?

McPheastOfStephen Wed 26-Dec-12 20:11:04

Night terror?

Heard a weird noise almost like growling coming from my dds room. Get up there to find her crying/growling at same time , completely panicked leaping about her bed like flipping out.

Poor girl looked terrified!

What is this??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now