Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wheezing into 2013 - Support thread for parents of asthmatics

(862 Posts)
Sirzy Wed 26-Dec-12 14:19:15

As the old thread is filling up I thought I would get a new one started!

This thread is for anyone with a child with asthma, or asthma type symptoms. Between us we have to much experience of inhalers, nebulisers, steroids, sats and all things asthma!

DizzyHoneyBee Mon 07-Jan-13 13:20:55

Thank Sirzy, yes he has the ventolin beforehand. The asthma nurse wasn't sure but she thinks he should go on the purple inhaler, she's going to talk to the GP and phone me this afternoon to let me know what he says.
How things with you all? sorry I've not been on much, I had a big project to complete for work.

alibobins Mon 07-Jan-13 13:33:35

Sirzy he actually seems well today he is eating well and quite happily playing so think the antibiotics are doing a good job smile he is still on regular paracetamol but really does seem happier.

alibobins Mon 07-Jan-13 13:34:55

Dizzy hope the change in medication works well ds1 has been on the purple inhaler for 4 years now and was a big help.

Sirzy Mon 07-Jan-13 13:42:58

The purple inhaler seems to be working well for DS.

Glad he is on the mend Ali.

All seems ok here, just very tired all the time so grumpier than normal!

lollipoppi Mon 07-Jan-13 13:51:15

Hi all, just catching up on the thread, due dc2 in 2 weeks so have been doing lots of rushing around doing last minute bits and nesting smile
How is everybody? Dizzy DS is on purple inhaler and have seen an improvement.
DS is ok now since his Boxing Day admission, although has been off his food and very clingy the past 2 days so hoping he isn't coming down with something!

Sirzy Tue 08-Jan-13 22:02:26

2 days back and nursery and he is coughing away in bed. Hope he hasn't picked up another bug but i'm not hopeful.

cedmonds Wed 09-Jan-13 15:50:12

How is he Sirzy?

Sirzy Wed 09-Jan-13 16:48:04

Up and down, had a slight temp before but that has gone. Still needed 4 hourly ventolin but hadn't got that back down properly since his chest infection anyway.

Think I am going to try to get his appointment forward as they moved his 3 monthly appointment back by 6 weeks meaning he isn't due til the end of feb now.

alibobins Thu 10-Jan-13 12:38:21

Sirzy hope ds has turned a corner.
Ds2 is so much better not 100% but getting there.
He had bloods took yesterday but the consultant was happy that nothing sinister was going on and just said it's a run of bad luck.

Sirzy Thu 10-Jan-13 13:16:21

Glad he is on the mend.

Ds is ok today. Still not right but getting better

lollipoppi Sat 12-Jan-13 09:56:10

How is everybody doing? X

Sirzy Sat 12-Jan-13 20:31:48

Not too bad here. How about you?

Sirzy Sun 13-Jan-13 11:48:51

Just took DS for a walk in the woods with his cousins. Gave him 3 puffs before we set off, after 10 minutes he was wheezing so much he needed 5 puffs to calm down sad I hate it when this stops him doing things!

lollipoppi Sun 13-Jan-13 13:12:29

Oh no Sirzy sad that's the one thing that upsets me most about DS having asthma, that he won't be able to join in things his friends are doing, it's not affected him yet but I'm sure as he grows older it will.

Sirzy Sun 13-Jan-13 15:34:07

It is starting to show more now he is getting older but hopefully when things are controlled it will stop being an issue.

alibobins Sun 13-Jan-13 17:02:14

We managed about 5 mins in the snow before ds2 coughed himself sick sad
Ds1 prefers to play on the computer so doesn't run around much but he does manage taekwondo twice a week.

cedmonds Tue 15-Jan-13 10:27:29

How is everyone ? Ds is in hospital having an egg challenge done. His lips swelled slightly but they are carrying on hmm

alibobins Tue 15-Jan-13 11:09:27

Ced I read that on another thread shock I would be a nervous wreck! What's the next stage in the challenge? Ds1 is anaphylactic to egg a challenge has never been considered as his skin prick tests only ever showed a mild allergy yet ds suffers with anaphylaxis.
We are off to gosh today with ds1 just hoping the snow stays away we have got a 2.5 hour journey.
Ds2 is nealy fully recovered from the flu just left with a lingering cough and still gets pains in his legs

cedmonds Tue 15-Jan-13 11:56:47

They give him increasing amount of egg and see what happens. Says are hovering around 95 so finesmile Hope it goes ok at GOSH ds is back on Friday.

alibobins Tue 15-Jan-13 16:57:57

How did the rest of the challenge go?
Appointment went okay ds1 had some scans and a few other bizarre tests but he was really brave we gave got a follow up in a few weeks.

cedmonds Tue 15-Jan-13 18:51:47

ok thanks alli . He didnt react but has now got really bad tummy pains sad
Did youget the train there inthe end. Ds is there on Friday again.

alibobins Tue 15-Jan-13 20:32:24

Dh drove its quite a treck from us took just over 2.5 hours.
Hope the tummy pains stop have you got another day tomorrow?

cedmonds Tue 15-Jan-13 21:00:18

Where did you park? Did you have to pay congestion charge etc. Only wondering if we ever have to drive. He now hasnt got to go back tomorrow but his tummy is solid and really windy. So i wonder if it is more a delayed reaction/intolerance now.

alibobins Tue 15-Jan-13 21:55:23

Waitrose Brunswick Square NCP carpark it was a 5 minute walk if that and cost £6.00 for 2 hours. It was in the congestion zone but Dh said next time he might try and find another carpark.
Have you got a number to ring about his tummy sad has he passed the challenge?

cedmonds Wed 16-Jan-13 20:23:56

Hi
Thanks Alli will remember that if we need it. I was never told about whether he passed or not as they wanted to wait and see if he had any delayed reactions. He is going back beginning of Feb, but is tummy was bad last night and he has had an upset tummy today so prob cant have egg but at least its gone from swelling face etc to that so hopefully another couple of years and he will be fine.
He has been chesty today as well but i suppose that was to be expected if he sill cant tolerate egg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now