Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wheezing into 2013 - Support thread for parents of asthmatics

(916 Posts)
Sirzy Wed 26-Dec-12 14:19:15

As the old thread is filling up I thought I would get a new one started!

This thread is for anyone with a child with asthma, or asthma type symptoms. Between us we have to much experience of inhalers, nebulisers, steroids, sats and all things asthma!

Arachnophobe Mon 31-Dec-12 07:31:24

Hi I hope your DCs all had a calm night. I joined toward end of last thead as 8mo DC3 was 'dx' as pre-asthma by a hospital paed at A&E just before xmas.
He has been wheezing for over five weeks, not needed admission thankfully and steroids just once but had 3 courses of antibiotics in that time as deemed chest infection by the same GP at almost weekly visits back due to little improvement hmm.
My beef is lack of consistency in advice - two different GPs have told me to administer ONLY 2 puffs of ventolin x 4 a day whereas a&e Doctor assured me I am fine to give ten each bad episode and repeat as needed gradually decreasing dosage over a couple of days.
I took him to a&e on Saturday daytime as he had a terrible night struggling and I gave him 10 puffs (administered properly six breathes per puff) and he still had tugging in his chest and throat 24 hours later. Nurse at A&e found stats ok reassured me that fine to keep giving 10 puffs sent me to out of hours gp based in same building to have him checked over
and avoid the d&v + 3 hour wait for a doc in a&e... GP said although indentation present his chest was nice and clear but to only give 2 puffs 4 times a day and if that not enough he has to be taken back to gp or a&e.
Luckily despite constant crackle and wheeze and hideous coughing fits he has been coping with 2 puffs but there is no long term strategy if this continues. DS1 had wheezing episodes at each cold and a couple of admissions following bronchiolitis as a baby but he would be clear in between and it thankfully stopped at nearly four.
I am reluctanct to assume same for Baby as he has had break and coughing fits are worse. I hate leaving him, too scared to touch a drink and have a night off bf over xmas in case he rapidly deteriorates again. I am ok leaving him with my Childminder as she has it herself and also very experienced in general and I work locally so can get to him quickly if need be so should be grateful for that.
I am still hoping it just clears up but as no joy so far does anyone have any tips for managing? We have minimal carpet and I bought wellkid baby drops for vit D. Does a humidifier at night help?
Sorry for the essay but it's been another long night.

Arachnophobe Mon 31-Dec-12 07:52:08

Sorry I should have added that a&e first visit said can give ten puffs an Hour! This friday-Sat I only gave 10 every four hours as and in the weke at follow up GP said not to and to only give 2, 4 x a day. I went with the 10 puffs but stretched them over four hours as read that on here and did it for 24 hours before taking him back. Again a&e said its fine to give 10 puffs but straight after GP Said no...aaaagghhh.

Sirzy Mon 31-Dec-12 07:59:38

Does she have any sort of preventative inhaler?

2 puffs of ventolin 4 times a day seems to be the standard GP advice. I have been told by our consultant that I can give up to 5 puffs every 4 hours without seeking help, and when bad he has had 10 puffs an hour (on medical advice, normally in hospital)

I guess what I am saying in a waffley way is there is no thing as too much ventolin (although it can cause headaches and shakes) its more a case of knowing when further help is needed.

Arachnophobe Mon 31-Dec-12 08:24:13

Hi Sirzy Thanks for your reply. No preventative inhaler. He had a follow up appointment in the week as advised by the original a&e Doctor to discuss this. Unfortunately there's only one GP you can ever get short notice appointments with (there is a reason for this...). He said that it is seasonal wheeze give 4x2 ventolin daily but ten puffs too much. I asked about a preventer as the Paed had mentioned it but GP dismissed him as too young.

alibobins Mon 31-Dec-12 09:19:51

Maybe ask the gp to refer him to a hospital consultant or even see if there is an asthma nurse at the surgery. It's so hard when being given conflicting advise have they ever done a chest X-ray when ds1 was younger he had a persistent cough after a chest X-ray he was put on long term antibiotics 3 times a week and that helped.

Sirzy Mon 31-Dec-12 20:14:55

hope everyone has a peaceful night to bring in the new year!

DS is wheezing too much for my liking tonight. Hoping it settles down quickly!

Oh dear sad hope he's ok sirzy

alibobins Mon 31-Dec-12 21:23:55

Wishing everyone a wheeze free new year smile
Sirzy hope ds settles down soon.
Ds2 was coughing all night last night but seems happier in himself today

lollipoppi Mon 31-Dec-12 21:40:30

Happy new year everybody, wishing you all a hospital free 2013 smile
Sirzy hope DS is ok x

Happy new year guys smile

Sirzy Tue 01-Jan-13 18:45:18

How is everyone today?

Arachnophobe Tue 01-Jan-13 19:06:49

Happy 2013 All grin.
Thank you for advice Ali I am going to keep trying for an appointment with a more thorough gp. He had a chest x ray when we went to a&e on 21st. It was clear.
We are ok thank you and took the DCs to a 'do last night they loved it especially baby he loves to dance I am so pleased he was well enough for it.

cedmonds Tue 01-Jan-13 19:24:57

Happy New Yearsmile Ds is back on pred and ventolin every 4 hourssad Weare going to GOSH on friday so will see what they say about getting it back under control again.

Sirzy Tue 01-Jan-13 19:26:37

Hope he is better soon Cedmonds and you get some answers on friday

weblette Tue 01-Jan-13 19:31:27

Hello smile

Was on this thread yonks ago but as ds2's asthma's been worse this Winter than ever before so thought it might be good to come back smile

He's 8, had bronchiolitis at 3 days old, repeated attacks of viral-induced wheeze to the point of hospital admission. Diagnosed with viral-induced asthma at 4. We were told he would probably grow out of it... sad

He's been on Seretide and Montelukast for the last two years but since the Summer he's rebounded from chest infection to chest infection, amoxycillin no longer works and I fear Clarithromycin doesn't now either. Start of each bring on an intense attack, he's nebbed with Ventolin if needed and has a course of Pred until the wheeze eases. We don't monitor sats but use a peak flow meter to gauge how he's doing - plus the tug usually gives it away...

So he finished a course of Clarithro on Saturday and is already back with the deep coughing, sore chest, temp and lack of appetite. Luckily we've an appointment with the most switched on GP on Friday, he's determined to sort this out.

And to add to the joy, looks like ds3 has viral-induced wheeze as well.

Anyway, enough misery grin

Something someone raised earlier about when to give Pred, we used to always give it when he woke up. I guess because he's had so many courses of it the hyper effect doesn't kick in as much now.

We found that for him it's far more effective given in the evening to get his body through its naturally-low steroid levels during the early morning - it takes about six hours to be effective.

While having lots of it as a toddler did affect his growth at the time, he's now up to the 75th centiles for height and weight.

weblette Tue 01-Jan-13 19:32:43

Doh, start of each virus, respiratory or otherwise

alibobins Tue 01-Jan-13 19:42:03

Cedmonds we are at GOSH on the 12th have never been before what is parking like? Hope ds feels better soon
Ds2 seems to be finally eating better he's coughing like mad but has been destroying the house again today smile he has slept for a few hours this morning the went to bed at 7.
Ds1 is on another course of antibiotics but is easily kept still with the computer so easier for him to rest.
Web I an remember you from the old thread it's so frustrating when you feel they are doing well then they get poorly again sad I can't wait for the day either ds's have just a 'normal' cold.

Sirzy Tue 01-Jan-13 19:46:14

I don't think DS has ever had a "normal" cold. Its 3 years next week since he was first ill and its been non stop since!

His antibiotics finish tomorrow and he still isn't right, will see how he is in the morning and might take him back to the GP

alibobins Tue 01-Jan-13 21:04:03

It's 3 years yesterday since ds2 was admitted for 10 days with broncholitis sad he'd only been out of nicu 1 week.
Hopefully you will get him sorted soon Sirzy.

Know what you mean ali

This time two years ago I was in hospital with dd2 with bronchiolitis too.
So far she's ok but I still live in fear that the next cold will be the one that hits her chest. they warned me that she's more likely to developed asthma as a result. She caught it twice.

Dd1 seems to be getting better at fighting it just hope it lasts.

weblette Wed 02-Jan-13 10:10:08

Hello again ali smile

Next door's dd caught bronch at around the same time as ds, her asthma has definitely improved over the years. We just seem to be unlucky!

Today's cough has turned croupy, oh joy and peak flow's down so neb here we come.

Sirzy Wed 02-Jan-13 11:35:39

Bronchi is horrible!

DS still isn't right, plodding on though for now which is good

alibobins Wed 02-Jan-13 15:00:00

Been back to the doctors with ds2 and they are happy with his progress he did have some wheezing so want to give him 3 days pred to keep on top of things.

Sirzy Wed 02-Jan-13 15:06:39

That's good Ali

cedmonds Wed 02-Jan-13 16:59:05

Alli parking is a nightmare plus you have to pay for congestion charge. And the traffic is bad as central London. We get the train up and it's about 5-10 mins walk from russel square underground.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now