Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wheezing into 2013 - Support thread for parents of asthmatics

(933 Posts)
Sirzy Wed 26-Dec-12 14:19:15

As the old thread is filling up I thought I would get a new one started!

This thread is for anyone with a child with asthma, or asthma type symptoms. Between us we have to much experience of inhalers, nebulisers, steroids, sats and all things asthma!

lollipoppi Sun 26-Jan-14 19:45:38

Oh no Sirzy did you have to stay in? Hope he is ok

DS is doing ok at the mo, still needing ventolin now and again but coping well at home

Sirzy Sun 26-Jan-14 20:04:48

No thankfully we were allowed home with an "if he gets worse" warning which is why we ended up back in A and E this morning. He is asleep now and quite noisy so im not sure we are past the worst yet but will have to see how he goes.

Glad your DS is doing ok, hopefully he keeps on coping

Sirzy Wed 29-Jan-14 12:03:19

DS still struggling, finished pred yesterday at consultant tomorrow but can see us ending up in a and e this afternoon yet

lollipoppi Wed 29-Jan-14 13:29:49

Oh no Sirzy, hope he is ok and you don't end up in hospital hmm
Poor chap

Sirzy Wed 29-Jan-14 18:25:19

he seems to be a bit better tonight although still coughing a lot. Fingers crossed for sleep

lollipoppi Thu 30-Jan-14 13:49:51

How's he doing Sirzy, hope the consultant appt went ok

Sirzy Thu 30-Jan-14 14:51:05

He is better today thankfully.

Consultant started him on slophylin (sp) so hopefully that helps

lollipoppi Thu 30-Jan-14 16:10:02

Not heard of that one before is it a preventer or one for his allergies?

Sirzy Thu 30-Jan-14 16:13:06

Its a preventer, waiting for it to be delivered so I can read the leaflet to find out more!

WellThatsLife Fri 07-Feb-14 13:02:41

Bloody flu. dd suffering since monday. Been to drs this morning, nebuliser, pred and amox and 3hourly salbutamol, started coughing again already so watching peak flow and hoping we don't need to goback

Sirzy Fri 07-Feb-14 13:34:23

Hope she is better soon Well.

Touch wood this new medicine seems to be really helping DS its only been a week so too soon to get too excited but fingers crossed. There again 6 medicines a day should help!

Sirzy Fri 07-Feb-14 13:35:00

5 not 6

lollipoppi Fri 07-Feb-14 21:34:48

How's she doing now Wellthats?

Sirzy great news that the new preventer is working!

DS has been a bit tricky this week, docs on Tuesday, 3 day course if pred, which seems to have taken the edge off bit still needing 6-8 puff 4 hourly. Also now had really bad earache hmm

MigGril Fri 07-Feb-14 21:55:39

hi house you don't mind me joining but just spotted thisthread. My DS who's 3 was diagnosed with asthma last September. After many doctors appointments and still lots of coughing I managed to get them to rrefure him to a consultant in November. They where really good, he's now on singularair (I think that's how it's spelt) as well as his preventive brown steriod inhaler. it's worked so well that I'm hoping they will let us try a lower dose of the steriod inhaler.

I think we've been really lucky so far this winter he's not had two many colds and has only needed his blue inhaler, when he's had a cold no steroids.

The consultant did put steroid tablets on his med list but not needed them yet.

Sirzy Fri 07-Feb-14 21:59:27

Hope he is better soon Lolli

Hi Mig, glad you managed to get a diagnosis fingers crossed you manage to lower the doses soon!

MigGril Sat 08-Feb-14 14:14:32

Thanks Sirzy, it felt like a battle to get to the point where he's so stable. Many nights spent listening to him coughing, poor boy.

But it feels good to be at this point.

Sorry to hear some of your children suffering at the moment. it's hard when they are ill.

WellThatsLife Sat 08-Feb-14 23:25:26

We ended up at emergency drs at 10:30pm as she was coughing continuously and looked exhausted, was put on nebs and dr debated admitting her but let her home on 3hourly salbutamol. She seems much better today although still coughing so will just have to see how she goes, unfortunately I now seem to have dose of what she's had although thankfully I'm not asthmatic unlike dh

WellThatsLife Mon 10-Feb-14 14:26:32

Thankfully she's doing ok now, hope everybody elses dc are doing well, it's a nightmare when they're like this. I was hoping to start working more now she was at high school but the way her asthma is now it's not going to happen unless things improve rapidly, as a pharmacist I can't just leave work if she's taken ill, cover has to be organised. She's seeing the consultant in 5 weeks so we're going to have to have a good chat

Sirzy Mon 10-Feb-14 14:55:54

Glad she is on the mend.

DS isn't getting on with his slo-phyllin so waiting for a call from his consultnt about that

WellThatsLife Tue 11-Feb-14 12:46:33

Back to the drs today, saw nurse and another three days of pred because her peak flow is still low and apparently her chest sounds like a steam train! Still on four hourly salbutamol but she's back at school as she can't afford to miss anymore but she's not to do gym /pe. We've got to go back to drs on friday to see how she's going. Hope she's better by monday as we're meant to be going away

Sirzy Fri 14-Feb-14 11:27:14

HOw is everyone doing?

DS wasn't getting on with the slo-phyllin so has been changed onto flixotide instead just picked it up so fingers crossed this one works!

WellThatsLife Sat 15-Feb-14 19:15:15

dd lot better now, preventer's been changed from clenil to seretide so will have to see if this improves things, just want her to be well

lollipoppi Wed 26-Feb-14 08:47:32

How's everyone doing?

We got home last night from hospital with ds1 he had a bad attack and was admitted Monday morning
He is coping well on his inhalers now

isitme1 Wed 26-Feb-14 08:55:38

Can I join please
both of my ds have ashtma.
Eldest who is 3 and half has other health problems. asthma ststays under control most of the timw with blue and brown inhaler.
Youngest is 7months and his asthma is pretty bad but as he's still young still in thw process of things.
He's on the blue Inhaler and uses it a lot. His lips go blue an awful lot and is wheezey and suffers from the horrid cough.

Sirzy Wed 26-Feb-14 09:15:21

Hi all, DS is doing pretty well at the moment fingers crossed we finally have a medication combintion which works. Want to start lowering his ventolin soon but not brave enough to try that.

Hope your DS is better soon lolli

Hi isitme. Can you push for a preventer for your youngest too? Hopefully that will stop the problems a bit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now