Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wheezing into 2013 - Support thread for parents of asthmatics

(855 Posts)
Sirzy Wed 26-Dec-12 14:19:15

As the old thread is filling up I thought I would get a new one started!

This thread is for anyone with a child with asthma, or asthma type symptoms. Between us we have to much experience of inhalers, nebulisers, steroids, sats and all things asthma!

Sirzy Wed 06-Nov-13 17:26:00

Glad he is feeling better.

It must be scary for them when they are having an attack sad

Sirzy Fri 08-Nov-13 17:18:08

well after seeing a doctor we weren't impressed with at clinic last week we have just had a phone call from the GP to say that the notes were reviewed by the consultant and he has been moved onto seretide 125 instead of seretide 50, its also properly on his notes that he has 5 puffs of ventolin twice a day and 5 puffs when needed which should help get repeats!

Still not managed to get hold of his antihistamine but I would hope such an increase in inhaler would help anyway!

lollipoppi Fri 22-Nov-13 10:40:42

Hi all, how's everyone doing?

DS had his consultant appt on Monday, nothing to report, just to carry on with meds he is on ect

Sirzy have you got hold of the antihistimes yet? Hope they're kicking in!

Sirzy Fri 22-Nov-13 11:18:23

Good that they didn't feel the need to change anything, hope that works for him.

yes got the antihistamine, that and the increased inahlers seems to be doing quite a good job (touch wood) he has only had 2 asthma attacks in the last week which is good for him

lollipoppi Fri 22-Nov-13 12:08:10

2 attacks in a week is good!? hmm

Sirzy Fri 22-Nov-13 12:34:58

For him its better than it happening daily!

lollipoppi Fri 22-Nov-13 16:11:41

DS doesn't have many attacks but when he does it ends in a hospital admission, a daily attack must be very worrying for you hmm
Really hope this improvement continues for you both x

WellThatsLife Mon 25-Nov-13 13:54:10

dd had appointment with consultant on wednes, fairly happy with her and has given me 3 courses of steroids to keep in at home in case she starts with a bad bout so that we can try to avoid further hospital viisits. One problem I am having is that she panics when her chest gets tight and starts hyperventilating, when this gets bad I find it difficult to judge how bad the attack is. wondering if anyone else has this problemand how they deal with it

Sirzy Wed 27-Nov-13 07:56:18

Up all night with croup, now asleep and wheezy. Going to up his ventolin and hope we can stay away from A and E

Sirzy Fri 29-Nov-13 18:06:06

Well DS is back on pred and antibiotics sad

lollipoppi Mon 02-Dec-13 10:57:42

How's your DS now Sirzy?

lollipoppi Mon 02-Dec-13 10:59:30

Wellthats DS is 3 and on his last attack he panicked for the first time, it was really upsetting to watch, the only way I could deal with it was to just cuddle and reassure him the the medicine would work soon and he would feel much better very soon

Sirzy Tue 17-Dec-13 12:09:37

Thought I would bump this given there are a lot of asthma related threads at the moment. sad

How is everyone getting on?

lollipoppi Tue 17-Dec-13 15:06:08

Tis the season hmm

DS is not so good, he has had a stinking cold all weekend, I thought we had got away with it and coping well on inhalers but have had to increase them again today, he sounds wheezy and not quite lasting 4 hours between.

How's your DS?

Winterbluessummersoonish Tue 17-Dec-13 15:15:37

I was on the post a while back, have since name changed. But winter has hit here too, my DS is currently on pred after a GP visit this morning - he has been struggling for two weeks but today was really bad - lucky GP happy to see him, now just hoping the pred kicks in and we can avoid hospital.

Sirzy Tue 17-Dec-13 15:17:48

DS isn't too bad, still needing way more ventolin that I would like. Needed 2 courses of pred to clear his last attack so hoping we can avoid having more for a while.

Hope your sons are feeling better soon.

Winterbluessummersoonish Tue 17-Dec-13 15:34:09

Thanks, I find it really hard. Temps I can deal with but wheezing and watching him struggle with breathing it's really hard to stay in control, which I know is vital.

lollipoppi Wed 18-Dec-13 09:47:55

Hi all, DS seems to be coping well in inhalers but need some advise on dd 10mo

She has also had this horrible cold but she has gone very wheezy, she is miserable, I have an appt at the docs for 1.30 but to be honest I'm not sure if I should wait that long? My only other option is a&e but not sure if I'm overreacting based on what I know with DS

funkypigeon Wed 18-Dec-13 16:33:29

Hi all, thought I'd join this thread as I've posted recently about DS and might as well post here since we're all going through the same.

DS been in since Monday night. Now on his second stretch of 4 hourly salbutamol. He was on hourly until yesterday afternoon so he's bounced back quite quickly. Also had pred for 5 days, antibiotic for 3 and oxygen when he's been asleep as sats have dropped to 80s.

Just waiting for doctor to review then hopefully home. Discharge protocol seems to change from hospital to hospital. Some are happy to send home if on 3 hourly salbutamol.

funkypigeon Wed 18-Dec-13 16:35:01

lolli

Is she working hard to breathe? Usually when DS is miserable then I know it's time to go in. How often are you giving her salbutamol?

funkypigeon Wed 18-Dec-13 16:36:07

Sorry, just seen your post was at 10 this morning. Hope she's better soon.

Sirzy Wed 18-Dec-13 16:38:58

Winter - hope your DS is ok today?

Lolli - how did you get on at the drs?

Funky - fingers crossed you manage to get home. Our hospital generally likes them to get to 4 hours but will let DS out on 2 hourly on the provisio we go straight back if he doesn't make 2 hours!

lollipoppi Wed 18-Dec-13 16:46:53

She ha a chest infection hmm she hasn't had any previous problems with her chest, they've prescribed antibiotics.

He had a listen in on DS too his chest is clear but has a terrible cough so prescribed pred as a backup just incase

Sirzy Wed 18-Dec-13 16:48:09

Hope she feels better soon.

Its handy to have the pred as a back up, we have a 3 day course which we were prescribed to have in just in case when we went on holiday last year.

funkypigeon Wed 18-Dec-13 22:19:37

Is anyone around?

Is it normal for sats to drop when asleep but then rise again to about 92 after a big cough?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now