Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wheezing into 2013 - Support thread for parents of asthmatics

(855 Posts)
Sirzy Wed 26-Dec-12 14:19:15

As the old thread is filling up I thought I would get a new one started!

This thread is for anyone with a child with asthma, or asthma type symptoms. Between us we have to much experience of inhalers, nebulisers, steroids, sats and all things asthma!

OHforDUCKScake Sun 15-Sep-13 20:34:36

Thank you.

lollipoppi Sun 15-Sep-13 22:35:39

DS came off montelukast recently for the same reasons!
Seretide is worth a try If the other one doesn't seem to help

WellThatsLife Mon 16-Sep-13 09:52:16

Well looks like it's not going to be today we go home . now started on azithromycin and coamoxiclav. also started her on monteluekast 5mg daily. he thinks her asthma may have been worst than we've realised all along

Sirzy Mon 16-Sep-13 12:53:20

Hopefully that helps stabalising her

Tournesol Mon 16-Sep-13 14:04:10

Bit late, but thanks for all replies, really useful. I shall continue with the preventer and hopefully he just has mild asthma and will grow out of it.

Oh and ducks you didn't sound arsey at all!

WellThatsLife Mon 16-Sep-13 15:34:12

Yep another night in and another on the camp bed for me. Still at least they let parents stay. just hope things improve tomorrow

Sirzy Mon 16-Sep-13 17:06:27

Hope you get home quickly. Those camp beds are horrendous, I often end up sleeping in the chair instead.

DS is struggling with the school runs at the moment, its only half a mile each way but coming home he keeps having trouble by the time we are half way back. Don't really want to resort to using the car though - may give some ventolin before we set off home if it carries on being an issue.

lollipoppi Mon 16-Sep-13 21:08:03

Oh no, hope you get home soon! Fingers crossed for a better night

Sirzy, Maybe the ventolin before you set off will do the trick, seems a shame to use the car
I dont think all this damp weather is helping

lollipoppi Mon 16-Sep-13 21:09:49

Actually Sirzy, maybe a good idea to ask the teacher to give it him half an hour before he is due to come out, that way it's in his system?

Sirzy Mon 16-Sep-13 21:10:24

Thats a good idea Lolli. Will try it that way tomorrow!

Badvoc Mon 16-Sep-13 21:11:49

Hope you get home soon x
Apparently another child in ds2s class had very high temp and sickness at the weekend so maybe the vomiting wasnt anything to do with his asthma?
Sigh.
I don't know.
Anyway, hopefully he will get seen by the paed and he will tell me what he thinks.
His teacher did say he was phlegmy (is that a real word?) today.

BrandybuckCurdlesnoot Tue 17-Sep-13 12:49:23

Hi, hope it's ok to join in and ask for some advice and thoughts.

My 8 yr old son has had a blue inhaler since about 3 or 4 and a brown inhaler for a year. It started with a night time cough when he was little. That was the only time the inhaler was used and it was very rare. As the years have gone on it progressed to him becoming quite poorly whenever he got a virus, with a severe cough and wheeziness. This year he is at the stage where the cough and wheeziness is a lot more common and with no obvious trigger, as well as all the recent triggers in the past years.

He has finally been referred to the asthma clinic at our local GP and we should get a diagnosis of asthma this week if they think it is asthma. (I think it is).

He has been given a peak flow meter and I have been keeping a diary. Our GP told us to stop using the brown inhaler as it would be masking the true symptoms so for a week he has only been taking the blue inhaler when needed, which has been quite frequently the past few days. (The brown inhaler was really helping before, I could see the improvement in his symptoms)

We have been using the peak flow morning and night for a week now. His PF has never gone above 150. Between Saturday morning and this morning it has been between 90 and 110. Is this normal for when the asthma is not being controlled properly?

Does anyone know what will happen if he is diagnosed with asthma this week? It's a pretty miserable time for my son as he cannot even play football in school with his mates and he gets wheezy just walking to school, bless him.

Thanks in advance.

WellThatsLife Tue 17-Sep-13 13:34:19

Finally home with the proviso that we take her back if she gets worse. have an open bed on ward til friday so just have to phone

lollipoppi Tue 17-Sep-13 16:06:25

Hi Brandy, I can't help with the peak flow as DS is too young to use one just yet.
If he does get diagnosed with Asthma, try to look at it as a positive rather than negative, they monitor him more closely and make sure he is on the right medications to control the asthma

Wellthats, glad your home, hope you don't have to go back in! Enjoy a nice bath and comfy bed tonight smile

Sirzy Tue 17-Sep-13 16:31:52

Hi brandy. Stopping the inhaler that is working seems rather counterproductive, you would have thought that it making a difference would be enough for them to make a diagnosis! Getting a diagnosis is a good thing though as it means they can work to get it controlled and when it is controlled then it shouldn't stop him doing normal things.

Well glad your home has she got a follow up appointment?

BrandybuckCurdlesnoot Tue 17-Sep-13 16:54:47

I thought that too Sirzy but it was what the GP advised. Thankfully his appointment is tomorrow so hopefully he can start with the brown inhaler again which will help his symptoms. They weren't happy to make a diagnosis without the peak flow being monitored and us seeing the asthma nurse, even though some of the information I've read online says that the peak flow shouldn't be used to diagnose asthma.

Thank you for the replies. Will see what happens tomorrow now.

Sirzy Tue 17-Sep-13 17:04:46

Good luck tomorrow.

I don't know much about peak flow as DS was diagnosed at 12 months so too young to use a peakflow and is a few years off that still I think.

lollipoppi Tue 17-Sep-13 18:30:45

Good luck for tomorrow let us know how it goes!

Sirzy how was DS on the school run today?

DS is full of a cold, no signs of coughing yet but putting him on inhalers tonight just in case!

WellThatsLife Wed 18-Sep-13 07:53:43

Started coughing and wheezing again last night so ended up back in. are waiting to see dr this morning

Sirzy Wed 18-Sep-13 08:06:31

I ended up talking him in the car because he had had such a bad night the night before. Waiting to see how is cough settles this morning before deciding how to get there today!

Hope your home quickly well.

WellThatsLife Wed 18-Sep-13 12:29:04

Had a xray waiting for physio as dr says lot of mucus on chest. he's not at all happy with her chest so have feeling won't be home today

Sirzy Wed 18-Sep-13 12:39:24

Did the xray show anything? Hope she feels better soon.

DS managed to walk to and from pre-school today but needed inhaler when we got home.

Badvoc Wed 18-Sep-13 12:48:17

Sorry to hear that, life.
Ds2s hospital appt has already come through for end October!

Sirzy Wed 18-Sep-13 13:07:10

thats good bad, at least they aren't keeping you waiting too long.

WellThatsLife Wed 18-Sep-13 16:35:47

Going home again now hopefully for good this time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now