Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wheezing into 2013 - Support thread for parents of asthmatics

(855 Posts)
Sirzy Wed 26-Dec-12 14:19:15

As the old thread is filling up I thought I would get a new one started!

This thread is for anyone with a child with asthma, or asthma type symptoms. Between us we have to much experience of inhalers, nebulisers, steroids, sats and all things asthma!

Sirzy Mon 05-Aug-13 14:54:39

How is everyone doing?

lollipoppi Mon 05-Aug-13 19:03:14

All good here! DS is coming down with a cold but coping well so far. How is your DS now after last week?

Hey. Doing ok here. After my last post DS had a bit of a bad night and we had to use blue inhaler for first time in ages but has since been fine

Consultant appointment went well, they want to review him closer to 2 and possibly test for allergies (though he didn't seem convinced!). Said he still had a bit of crackling in his right lung, possibly had been In touch with a virus recently, but he was fine.
Advised not to use brown inhalers at all, and blue only if needed.

Seems like he had some really nasty viruses (pneumonia was one, and some other one that's apparently viscous) and its just taken a while for his lungs to repair. They want to see how he gets on in the winter (virus season)
Cystic fibrosis test came back clear! Phew.

So really I am not any clearer at all to be honest!!

Sirzy Tue 06-Aug-13 21:52:16

Glad all is ok.

DS has sort of recovered from last week, coped with just increased ventolin which is good.

Thats good Lara, some children grow out of asthma when they are young so hopefully your DS is over the worst of it, or it will just be seasonal with him getting relief over summer. Fingers crossed for a healthy winter.

lollipoppi Tue 20-Aug-13 07:49:25

How's everyone doing?

DS is ok! He has been off the montelukast for a few weeks now and sleeping much better! happy dance

Sirzy Tue 20-Aug-13 07:55:37

thats fantastic Lolli smile

The antihistamine is helping DS sleep although we have had to lower the dose slightly as it was causing him to wet himself over night as he was in such a deep sleep.

He is struggling a bit at the moment again, thought he was going to end up in A and E yesterday but touch wood we avoided that. Means he is going to miss his last 2 days at his nursery (should have been today and tomorrow) before starting pre-school in a few weeks though.

lollipoppi Tue 20-Aug-13 09:13:43

Glad you managed to avoid a&e! Shame he will miss his last few days at nursery hmm

Sirzy Tue 20-Aug-13 09:15:02

He missed his first few days there for the same reason so he has gone full Cycle!

Fingers crossed at pre-school he can avoid too much time off!

Sirzy Thu 22-Aug-13 21:50:20

Well he seems to have bounced back again smile Still needing way to much ventolin but over the worst of it!

lollipoppi Fri 23-Aug-13 07:43:09

Great news!
I don't know about you, but it seems the older they're getting the better they are coping with it!

Sirzy Fri 23-Aug-13 07:55:08

Ye, I don't know if its his age or the medication but somehting is helping hopefully thats a good sign for this winter.

lollipoppi Thu 29-Aug-13 07:37:56

Jinxed it hmm DS got blue lighted in at 3am Tuesday morning, we got discharged last night, he's still not great and the nurse is coming to see him today to check his chest

Hope everyone else is ok

Sirzy Thu 29-Aug-13 07:46:17

Oh no Lolli. Have they put him back on the montelukast then or just seeing how it goes?

lollipoppi Thu 29-Aug-13 08:56:32

The doctor that saw him said he wanted to put him back on the montelukast but I said I'd like to speak to his consultant first, he has brought his appt forward by a few weeks

Sirzy Mon 02-Sep-13 14:32:55

how is he doing Lolli?

DS has just got back from A and E but thankfully they are happy for him to continue with 10 puffs every 4 hours for now and see how it goes.

lollipoppi Tue 10-Sep-13 11:19:23

Sorry Sirzy only just seen your post, he is much better now thank you, had his appt yesterday with the consultant and she is in agreement not to put him back on the montelukast but will see him again in a couple of months

Sorry you've had a trip to a&e how is he doing now?

Sirzy Tue 10-Sep-13 11:24:22

Hopefully he doesn't have any more problems and can stay off it.

DS is ok at the moment. Cut out the dinner time ventolin which is good

Badvoc Tue 10-Sep-13 15:08:08

Hello All
Well, here I am again - like a bad autumn fairy sad
Ds2 (newly dx asthmatic in April) has been at school for a week and has a nasty cough with wheeze.
Got him in at the gp at 4.20pm. He is sat here with me shivering poor lamb.
I don't think I can bear another winter like last year...I really don't sad
I am going to ask for him to be referred to the paed ds1 sees. If he is the same as ds1 he may need profilactic ABs just to get through the winter term at school. Ds1 tried singlair but it didn't help him. He is now on flixotide (sp?) but he is now 10. Ds2 is only 4 sad
Hope you are all ok x

Sirzy Tue 10-Sep-13 15:11:17

What medication is he on at the moment bad? Hope he feels better soon

Badvoc Tue 10-Sep-13 15:16:58

He has only been on clenil 2 puffs twice a day since April sirzy. A gp dx after his whooping cough swab was negative. After 1 day on the clenil the cough he had had since October vanished! angry he was rushed to hospital in July last year with breathing probs and sent him with Abs. I did mention the family history of Asthma but they were pretty dismissive tbh.
Last night we gave him ventolin and again this morning but it doesn't seem to have helped.
He has a chesty cough and when he breathes he sounds crackly and wheezy.
Sadly the gp we are seeing is crap sad I will just get told it's a virus sad

Badvoc Tue 10-Sep-13 17:16:33

Chest infection sad

Sirzy Tue 10-Sep-13 17:19:44

hope he feels better soon

cedmonds Tue 10-Sep-13 17:43:05

Argh ds has been fine all summer and three days back at school and we are in hospital sad

Sirzy Tue 10-Sep-13 17:46:08

oh no hope he is home soon. x

lollipoppi Tue 10-Sep-13 20:30:21

Sadly Sirzy think we will always have problems, well for the foreseeable future anyway! But consultant said we will increase the seritide rather then out him back on the montelukast if he has a bad winter!

Badvoc hope your DS is ok?

Cedmonds sorry your both in hospital hope he is better soon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now