Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please hold my hand. Baby has cancer

(395 Posts)

Thread title says it all.

One week ago I mentioned to dh (a doc) that dd 14 months had a tight tummy. He examined her, felt a lump. We went in to a & e, had a scan, they saw lump 13.5 cm across.

We've been referred to GOSH and they are amazing. Poor baby has had to endure scans, GAs, tests galore.

Latest is that it's either hepatoblastoma or germ cell tumour. CT scan on Monday to see if it's spread to the lungs. She has a central line in now so will start chemo within a week or so.

We have absolutely amazing friends and the support of our faith (we are Catholic) but it's like a completely weird dream. Our world has come crashing down.

We have four older children too (12, 10, 8 and 4).

Btw I'm a long term MNer but have name changed because I've got a one track mind now.

Lovethesea Mon 08-Apr-13 22:00:02

Have just read through, adding my prayers for full health and life for you all together.

minmooch Sat 06-Apr-13 02:59:21

Wow - what fantastic news! I am so thrilled for Beazy and you all. You deserve to rejoice in this moment. Wonderful! Xxxxx

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Fri 05-Apr-13 23:52:50

Congratulations. I saw your thread at the beginning, but lost it. Such a great milestone for all of you. Enjoy being at home all together again. Fingers crossed that your daughter has beaten this awful disease.

funnyperson Fri 05-Apr-13 23:47:02

Wonderful to be on the home stretch!

45 more minutes of post chemo hydration, funny, then we're outta here grin

funnyperson Fri 05-Apr-13 23:30:11

Good luck with the chemo to you and to Beatrice!

pepperrabbit Fri 05-Apr-13 20:05:10

That's fantastic news. grin

TiredFeet Fri 05-Apr-13 20:04:42

what lovely news smile

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 05-Apr-13 20:04:42

What lovely news.

You have all been amazingly brilliant through all of this.

chartreuse Fri 05-Apr-13 20:00:18

Wow, what fantastic news! So happy for you smile

Hawkmoon269 Fri 05-Apr-13 19:55:32

Fantastic news!! You're absolutely right to savour this feeling and be happy and relieved. And to look forward to that lovely deep bath! I'm so pleased for you all xx

Hi, ive been wondering how Beatrice is getting on.............Glad to read some good news! Will continue to remember in my prayers and candle lighting!!

FoodieToo Fri 05-Apr-13 19:36:31

Have been following your journey. What a wonderful day this is.
Enjoy it. Well done to you and your family. And especially your darling daughter.

4 hours more of the IV hydration then that's it!

Also, got the AFP levels -- this is the tumour marker produced by the liver. It was 48000 at diagnosis, now 4. The consultant has just told me that that's NORMAL!!! DH has warned me that it's not a predictor of recurrence but I'm parking that for the moment and relishing the joy and relief.

Thank you to everyone who posted, PMd or prayed. I will be eternally grateful, really.

Beazy will have twice weekly bloods for the next few weeks; ultrasound, kidney function test and chest X-ray in a month; then the central line can come out and she can have the most glorious deep bath ever! Then an MRI. Then monthly blood tests for a while, then 3-monthly... And if we get to this time in 2018 we can more or less stop worrying.

Meanwhile, I'm just rejoicing.

Hawkmoon269 Fri 05-Apr-13 08:12:25

Last leg praying... When will this round of chemo be over? My ds loves satsumas too smile

Here we are again! Last round of chemo just started. They've reduced the dose because she was so poorly last time but now I'm stressed about that too, in case it doesn't fully nuke any lingering rancid cancer.

Meanwhile she's been really cheerful, scoffing a satsuma for the first time and then tucking into a very grown up chicken ciabatta. Then she slept for 2.5 hours on the drip! She'd never do that at home...

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 25-Mar-13 23:28:36

Just caught up - am so pleased your little girl is home tonight. Sweet dreams.

Hawkmoon269 Mon 25-Mar-13 19:50:45

Yippee!!!!

Trazzletoes Mon 25-Mar-13 18:09:47

Woohoo!

wine

ajandjjmum Mon 25-Mar-13 18:05:51

Have a great night at home!

Well after all we're going home. Yippee! Coming back tomorrow for an infusion as an outpatient. Then last round of chemo on Thurs/Fri if bloods ok.

Thanks for every single comment and kind word. Keeps me going.

Trazzletoes Mon 25-Mar-13 12:44:56

Ugh. That sucks. I hope tomorrow brings better news.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 25-Mar-13 10:37:41

((Hug)) here too. Another 80's word I heard recently was 'bogus'. If I want to make DH laugh I'll throw in the occasional 'most excellent' which I hope you can use in the very near future when relating Beazy's health progress.

Hawkmoon269 Mon 25-Mar-13 10:15:58

Naff is an ace word grin

But rubbish that you can't go home today. Will keep praying...

Not home today unfortunately as Beazy's still needing potassium and magnesium infusions -- her levels keep dropping because of diarrhoea sad. Her neutrophils are naff, too. (But writing that 80s word makes me smile.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now