Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please hold my hand. Baby has cancer

(395 Posts)

Thread title says it all.

One week ago I mentioned to dh (a doc) that dd 14 months had a tight tummy. He examined her, felt a lump. We went in to a & e, had a scan, they saw lump 13.5 cm across.

We've been referred to GOSH and they are amazing. Poor baby has had to endure scans, GAs, tests galore.

Latest is that it's either hepatoblastoma or germ cell tumour. CT scan on Monday to see if it's spread to the lungs. She has a central line in now so will start chemo within a week or so.

We have absolutely amazing friends and the support of our faith (we are Catholic) but it's like a completely weird dream. Our world has come crashing down.

We have four older children too (12, 10, 8 and 4).

Btw I'm a long term MNer but have name changed because I've got a one track mind now.

LittleBallOfFur Sun 27-Jan-13 22:12:57

Thinking of you x

Hi have only just seen this thread.
Am thinking of you and your daughter is in my prayers

What an absolute nightmare for you & your family. I hope & pray all will be well for your darling daughter.

ajandjjmum Sun 27-Jan-13 22:27:05

Just seen this thread. Surprising how you can feel so much for someone you've never met. Really hope things continue on a positive track for Beatrice and the whole family.

IceNoSlice Sun 27-Jan-13 22:31:17

Sending you, your beautiful Beatrice and your family my love and prayers.

gwenniebee Sun 27-Jan-13 22:37:10

I have only just seen this thread, too, and am sending up prayers for you all right now. I hope she continues to get better.

Thank you, lovely people. It means so much.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 29-Jan-13 10:23:05

<Waves hello> hope you are having a good week. Best wishes.

Ruprekt Tue 29-Jan-13 10:29:09

Just seen this.

Am so sorry you are going through this.

Best wishes to all of you.

xx

Ineedcaffeine Tue 29-Jan-13 21:01:55

have just found this thread, and couldn't leave without adding my prayers for your daughter and your family.
it's great to read of her discerning palate - that she eats olives is impressive :-D!!
I pray that she continues to enjoy life whilst she (and you) go through treatment - and that the treatment blasts the cancer cells into oblivion.
<><

She is having a great week, thanks! Delightfully naughty! Emptying out kitchen drawers, climbing on tables, trying unsuccessfully to blow raspberries on her brother's tummy... So so cute. Also eating a bit more (any food you like as long as it's salmon!)

Kidney function test on Thursday to see if her kidneys are being affected by the chemo. Rather poignant -- as we were praying about that this evening my eldest prayed that she would be able to have babies. Had forgotten to worry about that.

Still, I'm trying to focus on the here and now. Having her so cheerful has made me realise that she hasn't been like that for months and months when the cancer was lurking undetected...

MakeHayNotStraw Tue 29-Jan-13 23:08:58

Just seen your thread, and wanted to let you know that I'll be praying for you all too. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this, and it sounds like you have one amazing little lady there!

Somersaults Tue 29-Jan-13 23:20:06

I just wanted to say I'm praying for you all and I shall light a candle for Beatrice at church on Sunday.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 29-Jan-13 23:51:51

Little scamp! she sounds like a toddler wiith a sense of fun and sparkle, great company. Does your heart good to see them like that, bet you have quick reflexes wink.

Nordicmom Wed 30-Jan-13 00:19:42

I wish you all the best and it's great to hear that the treatment seems to be working . Sending all our love

Trazzletoes Wed 30-Jan-13 06:02:26

Oh P4B that's wonderful news. And it seems to be a very good sign that she is so full of life.

The Drs will be able to tell you whether or not she is likely to be able to have children in the future. Not all the drugs stop that, though plenty do. J definitely won't ever be a biological Dad which does upset me sometimes, but if he is still alive at 18 it feels like that will be nothing short of a miracle in itself, so I will take that and be grateful. Anyway, you do read of people who had chemo as children being told they definitely won't have babies and then getting pregnant with their partner. It's a long shot but not completely impossible. There was a piece on it in our local cancer charity newsletter recently.

And I think with J we will need to be honest with him from the start so he never has unrealistic expectations of his fertility so at least he will always know the score.

It is just one more of the horrible horrible things that cancer takes away. But it hasn't taken away Beatrice's joy and cheeky toddler spirit! Enjoy every second of that! Good to know it is going so well.

Thanks all. Kidney tests today but we won't get the results for a while.

Meanwhile great excitement here as eldest dd (12) has got a part in the children's chorus singing La Boheme at the ENO! So nice to have some good news!

MildredIsMyAlterEgo Thu 31-Jan-13 21:36:58

Only just seen this thread for the first time, sending you positive thoughts and as many ((hugs)) as you can take.

Little Beatrice is gorgeous, your family sound lovely, and congrats to DD1 smile

Best wishes to you all x

PartyFops Thu 31-Jan-13 22:01:29

Thinking of you xxx

Trazzletoes Thu 31-Jan-13 22:22:38

Well done DD!

Fingers crossed for good kidney results.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 31-Jan-13 22:28:10

Dd1 and all of you must be thrilled at her news, well done her!

Hope Beatrice's kidney test results are as good as can be.

Thank you, kind people.

Having another wibble today. Always happens when we get a discharge letter from the consultant. Today she's said that she's concerned about Beazy's low magnesium levels. That, coupled with some other blood results and B's recent high blood pressure has led DH to suspect that she may have already had some kidney damage... So they might change the chemo to something else with still other side effects.

Also, we had a useless computer generated message about our appointment with the hospital which will be doing the operation to remove the tumour (and half her liver). They suggested a date for an outpatients appointment which we can't do because of chemo, but haven't given us a new date and no phone number to ring to sort it out... Op is pencilled in for 3 weeks' time and it would be good to have more info and a date so we can make arrangements for our big four.

B has been so lovely and cheerful I have been forgetting to worry. Now it all comes flooding back. sad

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 01-Feb-13 21:04:04

I'm not medical so can't advise but am sure they have to be thorough and err on the side of caution sometimes. It must feel like 2 steps forward 1 back at times but you know she is making good progress.

Please hang on, you know that Beatrice has already shown she's a fighter and so many people are wishing her well. When you have been under immense strain it's impossible not to get jittery. Fwiw holding your hand. And admin not perfect but am sure you'll be able to sort out appointments to Beatrice's benefit.

QOD Fri 01-Feb-13 21:35:52

She's a beautiful little pudding isn't she!!

So sorry she's going through this.

Interesting about the smoked salmon, really salty, wonder if her body is making her crave salty stuff?
Olives too actually ... Yum yum

You have to start her on hummous now too though!!

Thanks QOD. The other food she loves is.. Hummus (sp?)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now