Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please hold my hand. Baby has cancer

(395 Posts)

Thread title says it all.

One week ago I mentioned to dh (a doc) that dd 14 months had a tight tummy. He examined her, felt a lump. We went in to a & e, had a scan, they saw lump 13.5 cm across.

We've been referred to GOSH and they are amazing. Poor baby has had to endure scans, GAs, tests galore.

Latest is that it's either hepatoblastoma or germ cell tumour. CT scan on Monday to see if it's spread to the lungs. She has a central line in now so will start chemo within a week or so.

We have absolutely amazing friends and the support of our faith (we are Catholic) but it's like a completely weird dream. Our world has come crashing down.

We have four older children too (12, 10, 8 and 4).

Btw I'm a long term MNer but have name changed because I've got a one track mind now.

MumVsKids Tue 22-Jan-13 23:42:58

Wow, praying just read from start to finish having followed the link from Lou's thread.

I wish you and Beatrice all the love in the world, and I will pray for you both.

You are living every mums worst nightmare, yet you seem to be very strong and together. You're an absolute inspiration, and if I had half your strength and courage I'd be a much better person.

With much love xxxxx

FlyOverTheMistletoe Tue 22-Jan-13 23:46:20

praying - the fly family are all praying for bea, you and all your family x thanks

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 22-Jan-13 23:49:32

Such great news about hearing test, posted on Lou's thread just now sorry to have missed you.
Have a lovely day with DC3's birthday tomorrow.

TheSecondComing Tue 22-Jan-13 23:57:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

minmooch Wed 23-Jan-13 06:50:20

Great news about the hearing test Praying4. It is such an immense relief just to hear those words 'normal'. My DS was very worried about his hearing and we went for extra tests mid cycles as he was complaining of deterioration. Luckily it was related to chemo but only in so much as the chemo slowed down his body's natural way of dealing with ear wax and he had a massive build up. It has got completely better but I understand your worry and relief.

Keep strong. Xxxxxxxx

Thanks all. mumvs, that's really kind of you but honestly, you would be the same. You just have to do what you have to do for your child. I felt the same about a friend whose child had cancer a while back, wondering how on earth she coped. You just do. Mostly...

Today I'm fretting because of a letter from the doc mentioning a 'nodule' in Beatrice's abdomen. I pointed it out at the last visit and she didn't seem to take much notice but now she says she's concerned. Anyway, there's a scan booked for tomorrow so that will tell us more.

Meanwhile it was my middle daughter's 9th birthday today. Despite everything, she said it was 'the best birthday ever'. What a brick.

BrigitBigKnickers Thu 24-Jan-13 00:57:17

X Hope all goes well tomorrow. x

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 24-Jan-13 01:00:21

Glad DD Birthday Girl had a great day.

Shall be thinking of Beatrice tomorrow at her scan. Know you'll draw on your strength to get through the day. Many on here hold you in their thoughts and prayers.

More news but I'll post later. Meanwhile there are now pics on my profile including one with her beautiful MN woolly hug!

So many lovely messages on this thread. The kindness of strangers is quite breathtaking. Thank you all for taking the time to post.

Beatrice had an ultrasound today. The good news: the tumour has shrunk and is now partly necrotic ie dying, yay! The bad news, it has 'seeded' (yuk) along the line of the biopsy ie some of the cancer cells travelled along the biopsy needle and started growing there. Scarily, they only discovered this because I happened to feel a bobble under her skin.

It's not great but I think they'll just chop it out with the rest.

We haven't yet heard from the hospital doing the surgery so they need chasing too.

Meanwhile Beatrice is really cheerful, scoffing smoked salmon and olives (posh baby!) and squealing for joy when we play a ball game.

SpectresandSpooks Thu 24-Jan-13 20:39:47

Oh wow. I am glad she is responding. It's horrid about the cells spreading but hopefully the surgery will nip that in the bud. Your DD sounds like an absolute little star. My thoughts are with her every day xxx

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 24-Jan-13 21:21:18

Smoked salmon and olives, quite right - only the best is good enough. wink

It's a good job you were so vigilant and on the ball, it needs attention but this doesn't take the shine off that major fact that the tumour's shrinking. For which uplifting news, many thanks for taking time to update, and lots of positive thoughts.

fengirl1 Thu 24-Jan-13 21:39:34

Praying - another hand here for you albeit a bit late, and prayers too.

Thanks as always for taking the time to post. It really makes a difference.

I've now made my profile public (doh! It took a while) so you can see who I'm talking about :-)

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 24-Jan-13 22:05:27

Aah, sleeping beauty smile

domesticslattern Thu 24-Jan-13 22:46:51

Olives and smoked salmon- yay!
Thanks for posting such a lovely picture.

Portosantamaria Thu 24-Jan-13 23:22:33

Praying-lovely to see you today and to see Beatrice looking so smiley and perky! Hope you guys manage to have a restful night. x

cmarieb Thu 24-Jan-13 23:31:27

Sending all the best wishes and luck to Beatrice and you all for a speedy complete recovery xxx

toffeelolly Thu 24-Jan-13 23:46:10

thinking of you and your lovely little beatrice.xx

Positive thoughts for your brave wonderful girl.

Praying, just wanted to add my good wishes for your your beautiful Beatrice (lovely name).
Your family sounds lovely. X

Wereonourway Fri 25-Jan-13 23:48:55

Have just found this thread and simply wanted to add my best wishes to Beatrice and all of your family.

Ill be thinking of you op x

Skyebluesapphire Fri 25-Jan-13 23:54:22

Aw, lovely little girl.

Great news that its shrinking.

Thinking of you all x

Been following your thread from the beginning and its so wonderful to read your latest update about Beatrice. I'm thinking of you and wish Beatrice and your family all the love and strength that you need during this time.

Trazzletoes Sun 27-Jan-13 22:09:26

P4B such wonderful news. Glad to hear that it is all going so well.

Hurrah for dying tumours!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now