Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please hold my hand. Baby has cancer

(395 Posts)

Thread title says it all.

One week ago I mentioned to dh (a doc) that dd 14 months had a tight tummy. He examined her, felt a lump. We went in to a & e, had a scan, they saw lump 13.5 cm across.

We've been referred to GOSH and they are amazing. Poor baby has had to endure scans, GAs, tests galore.

Latest is that it's either hepatoblastoma or germ cell tumour. CT scan on Monday to see if it's spread to the lungs. She has a central line in now so will start chemo within a week or so.

We have absolutely amazing friends and the support of our faith (we are Catholic) but it's like a completely weird dream. Our world has come crashing down.

We have four older children too (12, 10, 8 and 4).

Btw I'm a long term MNer but have name changed because I've got a one track mind now.

CheerfulYank Sat 22-Dec-12 21:39:04

Oh, how awful and scary! Sending lots of prayers and hugs.

marthamydear Sat 22-Dec-12 23:49:07

Thinking of you and your daughter. Wishing and praying for a speedy recovery. xx

A hand to hold here, and prayers for your baby and family xx

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 22-Dec-12 23:55:39

Thoughts and prayers.

GaryBuseysTeeth Sat 22-Dec-12 23:57:48

Keeping you & your family in my prayers & offering another hand to hold. x

SkaffenAmtiskaw Sat 22-Dec-12 23:57:52

So awful and scary, sending you and your baby some positive thoughts and vibes

MonthlyWishesDoComeTrue Sat 22-Dec-12 23:59:35

No experience or wisdom to add, just wanted to add more thoughts sent your way.

giraffesCantFlyLikeReindeer Sun 23-Dec-12 00:05:37

sending much love x

Huge thanks to all for taking the time. Much appreciated.

Chipping the bizarre thing is that she's apparently completely healthy. She's a bit wan today after two GAs in a row, including a central line insertion and biopsy, but otherwise she is bright as a button, has just started walking, points to things, asks for kisses, is deliciously chubby...

The only thing which in retrospect was a clue (apart from the 13 cm mass in her tummy sad) was her very poor appetite. (she's still bf thank goodness). I used to get annoyed with her for not eating (and therefore still waking for feeds in the night) but the reason is that her stomach is squeezed by the tumour sad. She was also doing awful eggy burps but I put that down to after effects of norovirus. I also thought her tummy was quite fat but strangely unflabby. Now when I look at the tumour bulging out I can't believe I didn't notice before sad

giraffesCantFlyLikeReindeer Sun 23-Dec-12 00:22:38

She sounds wonderful smile

Sounds like bf is a good comfort to her as well so thast is great. Don't beat yourself up for not noticing - it will have been gradual and it is harder to notice changes when you see someone every day.

Thanks giraffes. Yes, she is wonderful. I'm so so glad to be still bf as its practically the only nutrition she gets sometimes and is such a comfort to her as you say.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Sun 23-Dec-12 06:19:46

<holds hand from Germany>

My dd has investigations and nothing as serious as yours but it is frighteningly stressful.

Don't be afraid to ask for help from all and sundry.

I second the diary idea. I do that for my dd. It always helps new doctors too (IMHE)

Hospitals are by nature a bit grim. Make someone do a shop for you. Orange juice, tea bags, biscuits, instant noodles - for all those times you realize you have forgotten to eat, it's 3am and you're starving hungry.

I have been living in the same 'outfit' for weeks. Bought 3 tunic tops all same, 3 leggings all same, 3 cardigans all the same. Stupid but it means I don't have to give getting dressed in the morning a moments thought.

All trivial things really.

Thanks Ophelias. Will def think about the outfits. (though when to get to shops at this time of year?!)

Got a book to write in and darling Beatrice has been scribbling in it as well.

Have food coming out of our ears, everyone has been enormously kind.

SledsImOn Sun 23-Dec-12 06:30:43

Tumours can grow very, very quickly. It's quite possible that you wouldn't have noticed it until now. Please don't feel it was in any way your fault for missing it. It's not like you could have known anything was there.

Sending love to you all x

Thanks sleds, I needn't have been inappropriate on the other thread then... It just felt very odd to be chatting about her name without saying anything.

Rosa Sun 23-Dec-12 07:11:23

You por thing what a nightmare dor you all. Positive thought and wishes to you your dd and your family.

RooneyMara Sun 23-Dec-12 07:17:07

No worries dear x

reindeercanteatsweets Sun 23-Dec-12 07:17:17

Hello sweetie. Have my hamd to hold. Do they now what type of cancer it is so treatmrnt an start?
What an awful thing.to find out before christmas.

RooneyMara Sun 23-Dec-12 07:19:15

Sorry name change! it's still me x

reindeercanteatsweets Sun 23-Dec-12 07:20:36

Just reread op. You know what type it is and at least treatmeamt can start. GOSH is a great hospital, my friends ds was treated there and he is now better but the aftercare is amazing.

Thanks all. reindeer we don't yet know what it is -/ one of two things. Different chemo drugs, different risks.

reindeercanteatsweets Sun 23-Dec-12 09:24:16

I hope that it is the type which has the drug with fewer risks.
Be kind to yourself

5madthings Sun 23-Dec-12 09:28:44

Still thinking of you and please dont yhink you should have noticed before. If she is anything like mine as toddlers they all have that cute little pot belly thing going on and i cam totally understand why you wouldnt realise.

Can i say yay for the bfeeding, that is perfect for her and will give her the best nutrition and comfort. do look.after yourself and i hope everything goes smoothly.

You said you are at gosh? Does that mean yoi are far away from.home?

TrazzleMISTLEtoes Sun 23-Dec-12 09:30:26

Hi, my DS has cancer too so I can understand a little.

Please do pop over to the Children with Cancer thread. Everyone is so supportive.

I'm crossing my fingers and praying that you get the best outcome from all the tests. I'm holding your hand and giving you a massively enormous hug.

wonderstuff Sun 23-Dec-12 09:40:39

Thinking of you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now