Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please hold my hand. Baby has cancer

(395 Posts)

Thread title says it all.

One week ago I mentioned to dh (a doc) that dd 14 months had a tight tummy. He examined her, felt a lump. We went in to a & e, had a scan, they saw lump 13.5 cm across.

We've been referred to GOSH and they are amazing. Poor baby has had to endure scans, GAs, tests galore.

Latest is that it's either hepatoblastoma or germ cell tumour. CT scan on Monday to see if it's spread to the lungs. She has a central line in now so will start chemo within a week or so.

We have absolutely amazing friends and the support of our faith (we are Catholic) but it's like a completely weird dream. Our world has come crashing down.

We have four older children too (12, 10, 8 and 4).

Btw I'm a long term MNer but have name changed because I've got a one track mind now.

Hulababy Sat 22-Dec-12 10:14:37

Good luck for you, your little one and all of your family. I hope you all get the very best outcome for her.

HoHoHokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sat 22-Dec-12 10:14:44

I am so sorry to hear that, i am sure some wise MN'ers who have been through similar situations will along soon to help.

Sending much love to you, your dd and your family.

Sparklingbrook Sat 22-Dec-12 10:15:36

Hello praying. Have my hand to hold. I am so sorry to hear about your baby. xx

QODRestYeMerryGentlemen Sat 22-Dec-12 10:16:28

Hi praying, how awful

We're all here xx

steben Sat 22-Dec-12 10:19:02

Praying for you all x

Hermionewastherealhero Sat 22-Dec-12 10:20:03

So sorry, good vibes and love your way

Pochemuchka Sat 22-Dec-12 10:20:19

So sorry to hear about your DD but glad you have some RL support.

You're right about GOSH - DS had treatment there when he was about 2 months old onwards until we were able to go locally.

Sending love to your DD, you and your family and hope she makes a full recovery x

Izzyschangelingisarriving Sat 22-Dec-12 10:20:57

I'm so very sorry to read this.

I hope your Beautiful Beartrice responds well to her treatment.

Sending you and your family all the virtual love in the world.

Sirzy Sat 22-Dec-12 10:23:49

Will keep you all in my prayers, hope all goes well for you x

Bearandcub Sat 22-Dec-12 10:29:39

Thinking of you all and wishing Beatrice all the best.

minmooch Sat 22-Dec-12 10:31:28

Oh sweetie what a horrible time for you all. My son was diagnosed with a brain tumour Nov 2011 so we have been on the cancer treadmill for just over a year.

You will all be in shock ( I think I still am a year later). Try and take each day as you can. Try not to plan too far ahead as it is too tiring belt friends and family support you and your other children as much as you can.

My top tip would be to write a diary. Make a note of everything that is done for your DD, what Drs say, what food she has, how many wees etc. get everyone to write in this diary - it allows you to not have to remember everything and you have a complete record of what she has had/done/eaten/pooed etc. write Dow any thoughts questions you have - these normally come to you in the middle of the night when no one is around.

But a mattress topper - if you will be spending nights in hospital the mattress topper will make the hospital pull down bed much more comfortable. Take in a portable DVD player to watch endless crap during the nights you can't sleep.

We set up a telephone rota as I was too tired to talk each night to everyone. I would speak to one person and then they would relate news to the next etc. it kept everyone informed without having to talk to everybody.

Get friends and family to cook lots of meals that can just be banged in the oven/microwave. And some single portions to take into hospital with you.

Be very kind and gentle on yourself. There is no right or wrong way to cope when your child is diagnosed with cancer. It is just shit.

There is a thread called Children with Cancer where there are a few if us going through similar - all at different stages. Join us there when you are ready.

So sorry that you are going through this.

minmooch Sat 22-Dec-12 10:32:06

Belt family? Let family!

trace2 Sat 22-Dec-12 11:05:27

so sorry i hope and pray the very best for your family ! xx

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Sat 22-Dec-12 11:08:25

So sorry. Sending my love. x

MoomieAndFreddie Sat 22-Dec-12 11:10:21

<holds hand>

praying for the best outcome for you X

Squiglettsmummy2bx Sat 22-Dec-12 11:12:30

Holding your hand & sending love & hugs x

IwishyouaMerryChristmas Sat 22-Dec-12 11:13:10

Gosh what a shock.

Lots of love to you all.

Xx

Thank you all for the lovely messages. I'm a bit tearful now. Thx minmooch for great practical advice.

Anifrangapani Sat 22-Dec-12 11:45:13

I can't imagine what you are going through. You have my heartfelt sympathy.

My nephew was in GOSH for a bit and they were wonderful according to his parents.

EcoLady Sat 22-Dec-12 11:57:36

I couldn't read and run. Am thinking of you and your family and wishing Beatrice a speedy and full recovery.

BeaWheesht Sat 22-Dec-12 12:11:54

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Best wishes

HorraceTheChristmasOtter Sat 22-Dec-12 12:16:52

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

5madthings Sat 22-Dec-12 12:20:02

Thinking of you all and sending love and strength xx

VenetiaLanyon Sat 22-Dec-12 12:20:37

Sending best wishes to you and your family at such a difficult time. In GOSH you are certainly in the best place possible to deal with it. Take care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now