Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Severe Vitamin D deficiency - any experiences?

(10 Posts)
Happy247 Tue 23-Apr-13 18:49:26

My LO (SN) is on daily meds for vitamin D, she has bloods taken every 6 weeks due to chronic disesae and last June the results showed that she was very low and had rickets. Her diet is much better now and eating 2 boiled eggs every morning which I am sure has helped her a lot, we also try to take her abroad twice a year to give her a boost.

professorpimms Mon 22-Apr-13 20:15:08

did you find out any more about this lougle?

My ds has been prescribed tablets by the paediatrician as he is very deficient, but on mentioning this to dh's mum she has told us that both her own mum and her uncle had rickets. DH'S mum herself has a problem with one of her limbs, which I think may have been present since birth.

Do you know if there could be a genetic cause?

Xmaspuddingsaga Wed 02-Jan-13 10:36:05

Yes check once but weekly seems unnecessary to me.

VestaCurry Wed 02-Jan-13 10:30:07

If vit D levels are extremely low, it's possible there may be issues with calcium levels too. That's why the calcium levels are being checked, to ensure there's nothing untoward going on with them.

Xmaspuddingsaga Wed 02-Jan-13 10:27:03

Vitamin D deficiency is very common. I cannot see why your dd needs weekly blood tests for calcium levels. After you have been deficient it takes a while for stores to build up. It is also possible to have 3 monthly injections rather than taking it orally.

lougle Wed 02-Jan-13 10:22:14

We're seeing a Paed today about something else, so I'm sure he'll check her over, too.

lougle Wed 02-Jan-13 10:21:11

I didn't see replies!

lljkk, I don't know why. DD1 is mildly insufficient, but her diet is poor (SN), so it's odd that DD2 is severely deficient.

challeycreaks, DD2 is being treated via the GP who got advice from the hospital. DD2 has to have dalavit daily, then weekly blood tests for at least 3 weeks, to make sure her calcium levels don't rise too far. she hates the taste, but after 4 days is taking it with good grace.

ChallyCreaks Wed 02-Jan-13 10:15:18

Hi lougle. How is your DD you getting on?

My DS has just had blood test results back saying the same thing. He is being referred to the hospital for treatment but the GP didn't elaborate.

My DS is out for an hour at least every day and we have started poisioning his porridge with multivitamins wink to try and raise the levels.

lljkk Thu 20-Dec-12 10:39:36

(Nosy not helpful, sorry, ignore if I'm annoying):
Is there a metabolic reason, do they think? Does she get outside very little?

lougle Wed 19-Dec-12 14:11:19

I had a brief phonecall from DD2's GP today, to say that she has a severe Vit. D deficiency. She will need a course of Dalavit and weekly blood tests to check calcium levels.

Has anyone had this in their child?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now