Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

6 week old DS with Bronchiolitus on oxygen - I'm struggling today

(17 Posts)
DizzyHoneyBee Fri 28-Dec-12 11:09:18

My DS had it when he was tiny, and like somebody else said, it can mean they end up asthmatic. My DS did and has all sorts of the medicine for asthma but he's a healthy soul (avoided norovirus and chickenpox that are doing the rounds here at the moment) and does lots of sports outside of school so it's not always the disaster that you might think.
I hope that all of your DCs and DP are much better now.
Well done for breast feeding him with all that going on as well.

BabysPointlessPocket Tue 18-Dec-12 19:54:12

grin great news, so pleased for you. Merry Christmas. Hope ds now gets to enjoy his first.

MammyKaz Tue 18-Dec-12 13:51:18

Just read this, great news that ds is home must be a massive relief. They're worrying little sausages at times. Enjoy a healthy Christmas smile

carocaro Tue 18-Dec-12 11:23:38

Brilliant, wishing you all well x

Welovecouscous Tue 18-Dec-12 00:15:40

Wow grin so pleased for you. All that bm will be doing wonders.

He's done some magical 100% turn around! They put him in air at 10am and now he's home feeding right now as perfect as ever. smile

BabysPointlessPocket Mon 17-Dec-12 12:28:54

Aww bless him.
Don't know if you'd be allowed to do it in hospital but could you rub some snuffle baby into his feet (like vicks but milder) I read it in top tips on here the other day and its done wonders for ds2 and his bad chest & cough. I don't know why but bizarrely it works!

He's about the same, oxygen still going up and down, they've been sucking all the gunk out his nose/throat all night. He seems a bit happier in himself though. smile

Sirzy Mon 17-Dec-12 10:48:56

How is he today?

Sirzy Sun 16-Dec-12 18:42:47

Hope he feels better soon. Its horrible DS had it when he was 8 weeks old and ended up in HDU. Getting him off the oxygen was a nightmare I think it was day 9 before that could happen for him, he would manage to days but then need it back on at night which was so frustrating.

try to get as much rest as you can, do you have any extended family who could sit with him while you get a few hours sleep/shower/eating time?

Hassled Sun 16-Dec-12 17:54:42

Blimey - you poor thing. You must feel completely frazzled - but he's in the right place, he's being well looked after, and it will all be fine.

IfItDontFeelGoodWhatUDoingIt4 Sun 16-Dec-12 17:52:07

Hi,
DD had this terribly when she was about 5 months old, and there were two babies the same age as your DS whilst we were there. DD was then in and out of hospital for two years before finally being diagnosed asthmatic and being prescribed the correct drugs in order to keep her out of hospital.

Coming off O2 whilst sleeping is always the very last thing to happen. The amount of times I have been kept in for an extra 3/4 days with a seemingly total recovered lively toddler bouncing off the walls because her SATS were still dipping whilst she was asleep!

Hope you are feeling better, now, I honestly know how shit it is, and how depressing the cabin fever is.

I'm sure you may be aware of this, and I really hate to be the bearer of bad stuff, but often after a young child has had a serious bout of RSV there is evidence to say they become much more susceptible to wheezing episodes/asthma. If they have a cold it is more possible for the cold to end in a wheezing episode or them requiring O2. Like I said, I really don't want you to think I'm kicking you while your down, but it is a good thing to be aware of, so if he does get a little cold you are ready for action if you hear a wheeze!

I know your DH can't come up, but I used to trade respite with other parents! Obviously only when the kids were sleeping, but we would just trade numbers and buzz each other if they stirred. Even just 15 mins MNing outside rather than is a hot stuffy ward made me feel much better.

I really really hope all your family is improving, and like some one said up thread, hopefully you will all be back to normal by Christmas.

Take care

BabysPointlessPocket Sun 16-Dec-12 15:39:54

Well at least he's progressing in terms of feeding.
my ds had such problems with regaining bf that my supply started to go down, expressing was fruitless and so we ended up ff.

Before you know it you will be back home in your own bed and this will all be a distant memory.

And at least it's happening now and hopefully he'll be very much on the mend by christmas. smile

Welovecouscous Sun 16-Dec-12 15:37:06

Huge hugs to you - so awful to see him ill like this sad

My friend's DS was in this time last year as a 4 week old and he is now racing around happily without a trace of wheeziness.

xx

We're day 7 now and he's feeding tube is out so he can bf again. The oxygen just seems to be one step forward and several back, he's fine until he goes to sleep.
I'll be fine I think it's cabin fever/ homesickness and worry that's doing me in today.
Thanks for the hugs smile

BabysPointlessPocket Sun 16-Dec-12 15:22:41

<<unmumsnetty hug>>
Ds2 was around the same age in Feb with exactly the same thing and on oxygen, tube fed etc.
If they haven't already said, it get's worse before it gets better and usually peaks around day 4.

It's horrible to stand and watch so helpless. must be harder for you with everything else going on with the rest of your family too.
You need to get some rest and keep your strength up.
Have plenty to eat and drink and try and relax and maybe have a nap.

DS3 is in hospital on constant oxygen support, he can't maintain his blood oxygen level at all without at least 0.08 oxygen flow.

I've been ok until now but I have DP and and DS2 with the bug at home so he can't come up for respite, DS1 is a cystic fibrosis patient and he has it so I'm terrified he'll be up here soon.
Little one doesn't seem to be improving much here at all. I'm having a real weepy day. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now