Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Joe vs. The Cancer

(1000 Posts)
TrazzleMISTLEtoes Sat 08-Dec-12 23:26:34

My 3 year old DS, Joseph was diagnosed with the cancer Neuroblastoma in October.

Survival rates are approximately 1 in 3.

He's coming to the end of chemo and so far, chemo is kicking cancer's butt. 3 cheers.

dikkertjedap Thu 14-Feb-13 23:20:17

Oh, poor you, hope she calms down soon and you get some time for yourself.

Would a warm drink and a story she already knows very well (hopefully she will find it boring and may resort to sleep) do the trick or does that not work with her?

Hope you get some sleep.

barefootcook Fri 15-Feb-13 02:17:10

Hi Trazzle

I justed wanted to say that I am thinking of you all and hope you get through this patch ( an understatement, I know!) as smoothly as possible. This morning in chapel 500 boys prayed for him. I hope it helps.

Trazzletoes Fri 15-Feb-13 04:40:47

Thanks all. And thanks barefoot. She went off in the end, it's just the end of this cold (still!) as everytime she coughs it makes her cry. We muddled through in the end and it meant I got some cheeky night time snuggles with her. It's nights like this, though, that I wish we had co-slept grin.

DH is on duty at the hospital until Saturday morning now <bliss> though DM is now properly sick. Just really hoping none of us catch anything from her.

Anyway... Back to sleep.

BarmeeMarmee Fri 15-Feb-13 08:29:41

Another ginger with her gingers still firmly crossed. Thinking of you all often. Hope DD and DM are both better soon and Joe carries on kicking ass-he sounds like such an amazing little boy!

ajandjjmum Fri 15-Feb-13 08:39:21

Cheering you on Joe - thinking of you all Trazzletoes.

fraktion Fri 15-Feb-13 09:01:33

Crossed gingers here for you.

Joe sounds like he's being so brave, you all do. I'm sure DD senses there's something up and it's just her way of trying to tell you. The poor little poppet must be so confused.

tangledupinpoo Fri 15-Feb-13 23:58:09

Trazzle, have been following you for a while but never know what to say. Everyone else says things so well. But I am thinking of you all so much and urging Joe on with all my heart. Go on, little boy, you can do this! A splodge of light halfway up a hill in Scotland, for you all xx

dikkertjedap Sat 16-Feb-13 11:57:23

Gingers crossed that Joe is doing well and not in too much discomfort.

Thinking of you,

x

thinking of you allbrew thanks

Cookingupastorm Sat 16-Feb-13 16:57:09

Looking in and thinking of you every time I pop onto Mumsnet. Love and positive vibes heading your way. xx

Trazzletoes Sat 16-Feb-13 23:01:16

As predicted, Joseph has taken a turn for the worse today, but still has a lot worse to get, IYSWIM. Eg he feels very nauseous but isn't actually being sick much yet and he's in pain but only in certain places.

I don't envy DH for being on night duty tonight and, tbh, I'm dreading tomorrow night. I do not deal well with D&V.

J announced today "I am very poorly and I don't like it!" And also at one point "I'm crying because I can't sort myself out" bless his cottons - I was laughing and crying at him at the same time.

Hugs to you all Trazzles, I haven't posted for a while but am thinking of you every day. Sending you positive vibes for the coming days. xx

Trazzle - praying for Joe. What a little sweetheart he is. Praying this 'ill' phase is as brief as can reasonably be expected.
Also praying for you. In the dark night hours, remember you are NOT alone.

dikkertjedap Sat 16-Feb-13 23:21:16

Oh poor brave boy. So horrible that he feels so nauseous, sometimes can actually give some relief to then be sick (as long it is not frequently). Is he able to eat at all or feels just too poorly?

Does he get pain relief or does that not work for the pain he has?

Poor thing, he is so brave, I hope he understands he is doing nothing nothing wrong and that it is all part of getting rid of this awful disease.

Hope you have a large stash of pyjamas at hand, just in case, unless he wears something else which is easier when suffering D&V (not sure what it may be but hospital may have gowns which are easy and quick to change?).

Lots of hugs to Joe, he CAN and WILL do it! Very much hope he gets some sleep.

Lots of hugs to you, so hard to see your LO so poorly and even harder when you know that worse is to come before it is going to get better.

Thinking of you,

x

ToffeeWhirl Sun 17-Feb-13 01:02:29

Poor boy. And poor you. I hope this horrible period passes quickly and Joe is soon feeling better.

Poor Joe sad poor little boy..
Gingers crossed it's making the cancer cells feel very very ill indeed.
Sory if I'm being stupid.but do they have any idea how long it's likely to last?

the D&V I mean, not the treatment

Trazzletoes Sun 17-Feb-13 07:22:36

He is just in a pyjama top and nappy at the moment but when it starts in earnest, we'll just keep the nappy on!!

He is on pain relief - I think dihydrocodeine at the moment but quite a low dose. He can't eat or drink anything as it just makes him vomit but he is on iv fluids and is almost constantly on a feed through his NG tube.

Trazzletoes Sun 17-Feb-13 07:23:24

SPB it's that old chestnut - it depends. Could be around 5 days, could be a few weeks.

sad even 5 days is a long time, hope that is it.

SarahJinx Sun 17-Feb-13 07:43:37

Hi Trazzle, another lurker here. Am checking daily at the moment for Joes progress. Hoping against all hope for you and your families that wishes count. Splodges and hugs from Norfolk.

Oh Trazzle it's the unpredictability that makes it additionally hard.

He sounds so very brave and good at articulating what it's like for him. Wonderful boy.

And I know exactly what you mean about not being very good at D&V - it's not my forte either. I'm always surprised at my DH who rolls up his sleeves and always makes it ok.

Oh, I really wish for 5 days - though as SPB says it's still a long time.

toffeelolly Sun 17-Feb-13 12:20:57

Trazzle just been reading this, what a brave little man you have, thinking and praying for your little joe . Lots of hug's. praying also thinking of your brave little beatrice, xx

TheDisorganiser Sun 17-Feb-13 13:16:20

Just found you again, Trazzle - poor little Joe, what a journey he's having. I hope things start to look up again for him soon (Tis Thumbwitch, I'm having a Discworld namechange for a bit)

Ginger gingers crossed from down under for him as well. xx

Thinking of you all Trazzle xx

This thread is not accepting new messages.