Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any ideas? Thought it was an insect bite - but now spot getting bigger, hard white centre, painful, red immediately around it and pink patch spreading out...

(6 Posts)
ripsishere Wed 05-Dec-12 04:07:18

Do you have bed bugs? or could he have been bitten by a tick? DD has had both (lucky duck). I imagine if it was bed bugs there would be more not just one isolated bite.
Good luck.

zipzap Tue 04-Dec-12 23:23:28

Thank you!

Wasn't sure if I was just being a worry wort but will go and see if I can draw around it now without waking him up and then will try to take him to the doctor if it's getting any bigger by the morning.

yellowsubmarine53 Tue 04-Dec-12 22:53:37

The red/pink area around the spot and heat make me wonder if it has become infected.

Both of my children have needed antibiotics for infected insect bites - untreated infections can be very nasty. I'd get him to the doctors first thing unless it reduces overnight.

Carry on with the TCP/pain relief in the meantime.

BeaWheesht Tue 04-Dec-12 22:53:03

Much not bloody NYC smile

BeaWheesht Tue 04-Dec-12 22:52:28

Does he have a fever or seem ill ? If so I'd call nhs. Otherwise I'd take him to pharmacy or GP tomorrow - it sounds like its infected. Draw a line round the sore area to see how NYC its spreading - if he has any tracking lines coming out of it then he needs seen immediately.

zipzap Tue 04-Dec-12 22:50:08

DS2 (4) has what I thought was a bite - seemed ordinary - last night. Popped on a bit of tcp and didn't think much of it.

This morning, it was like a tiny pimple - had a white centre but hard and didn't pop so put on more tcp.

This evening the white head part had got quite a bit bigger and was sore to touch when I put on the tcp. It's also more raised and there's a much bigger area of bright inflamed red around it. Then there's now a pink area spreading a fair bit beyond the original spot, also tender and warm.

Do insect bites usually carry on getting worse for such a long time? Or are there any other things that can give a spot that keeps getting bigger?

And any other ideas on what I could do to help ease the pain and make sure it doesn't continue to grow? Or if there is a point that I ought to make a doctor's appointment if it continues to grow?

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now