Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Someone tell me what drugs their asthmatic 2 yo is on please?

(5 Posts)
TheSecondComing Mon 03-Dec-12 15:21:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

butterfingerz Mon 03-Dec-12 17:24:26

My DS is 18 months, he's on 50 mg clenil 2 x 2 puffs daily and ventolin as and when. The suggestion of montelukast was batted around but it was decided he was responding well to the clenil alone. We have been to A+E many times since he was born with 2 overnight stays. I think with the regular steroid inhaler maybe with maturation, it's slowly getting more under control, less coughing and wheezing episodes - I've heard it can take a few months of regular steroid use for it to really take effect.

We also have omitted dairy from his diet, though he has goats milk, as cows milk was a definite trigger for him.

Are you using the clenil religiously? I find giving the ventolin early - before the wheezing/coughing gets too bad works better than leaving it too late. If you don't feel his asthma is under control, head back to your GP/paed for a review.

Sirzy Mon 03-Dec-12 17:39:20

Ds has just turned 3 (but was 2 when his current medicine regime started.

In the past 3 years he has been in hospital about 20 times, it really is hard I know. He was on 400mg of clenil daily and montelukast which wasnt working so serevent was added. This helped reduce the number of admissions but not the day to day problems he was having. (he was about 2.5 when started on serevent)

About 6 weeks back he was changed to seritide so currently takes - seritide 50 twice daily, montelukast and also twice daily anitihistamine.

This (touch wood) seems to be helping, he is needing ventolin a couple of nights a week and only every few days during the day which is a big improvement on the daily ventolin he was needing before.

They were dubious to start seritide as its generally only for over 4s

TheSecondComing Mon 03-Dec-12 17:53:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sirzy Mon 03-Dec-12 17:57:16

We aren't sure what he is allergic too yet (just waiting for test results) although dust, pets and eggs are the most likely ones at the moment.

I would start be insisting on a refferal to a peads respiritory consultant. Out GP is useful at treating young children with asthma but the consultant is fantastic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now