Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

anyone else concerned about danger of WIFI in schools?

(61 Posts)
kalo12 Sun 02-Dec-12 21:38:49

My child's school has just announced that they have installed WIFi extensively throughout the school. I am horrified. I have done a bit of research on the internet and found a very good website www.wiredchild.org
which explains the dangers, especially to children, of having multiple wifi devices altogether.

There is a wealth of new research coming to light of the dangers of WIFi and many countries are making proposals to ban it in schools entirely (and in some countries, public places in general).

Britain has the second highest levels of radiation from wireless devices in the world - hundred times higher than some countries.

Can't schools just use wired connections?

Anyone else concerend about this? Is this something to worry about?

tilder Sun 02-Dec-12 21:45:23

No.

Mendeleyev Sun 02-Dec-12 21:46:12

No

Mendeleyev Sun 02-Dec-12 21:46:42

grin

Hulababy Sun 02-Dec-12 21:46:45

We have wifi at the school I am at, as does DD's school. I have wifi at home too. It isn't something I worry about tbh.

forevergreek Sun 02-Dec-12 21:47:01

everywhere you go now has it. its unavoidable. go for a coffee at starbucks they have it, get you hair done they have it, shopping centre have etc etc

TessabelleDaydreamer Sun 02-Dec-12 21:47:51

Not really, there are bigger things to be concerned IMHO

ISeeSmallPeople Sun 02-Dec-12 21:47:55

No. I have it at home. As do most sane people.

I feel no need for a tin foil hat. smile

baublesandbaileys Sun 02-Dec-12 21:48:21

nope

TessabelleDaydreamer Sun 02-Dec-12 21:48:52

*concerned about!

Yes. My toddler glitches and malfunctions near WiFi so nursery will be difficult

RedZombie Sun 02-Dec-12 21:49:44

No

LynetteScavo Sun 02-Dec-12 21:53:45

I'm not concerned. Should I be? We have Wiff at home and in all my DC's schools, and I have it at work...and I think DH must too.

We have big telephone mast near schools too.

Should I freak out?

nightcat Mon 03-Dec-12 09:39:12

kalo, I am with you on this one, no one seems to be concerned about any longer term problems vs short term benefit. I also hate the idea of the "smart" electric/gas meters that are forthcoming apparently.
Cant see how it can be avoided though, short of removing one-self from it to a remote faraway country sad

Went to ENT dr a few years ago with ear problem and even before examining me, he asked if I use mobile phone much as he sees lots of people with brain tumours located nr the ear they use the phone. In the end, no help from ENT, but my ear was fixed thanks to osteopath. I still only use the phone when I really have to.

No. Do you not have any wifi in your neighbourhood? I can see multiple wifi networks in my house. Same as my work, my smart phone is connected to the wifi.

Themumsnot Mon 03-Dec-12 09:42:41

No.

MrsGeologist Mon 03-Dec-12 09:43:48

Yes! <dons tinfoil hat>

Handily, these also block out the mind reading rays.

Seriously though, WIFI is everywhere. If there are long term health problems that we cannot yet forsee, we're ALL fucked, so why worry?

CinnabarRed Mon 03-Dec-12 09:49:29

You might just as well worry about radio waves, which are all pervasive and have been around for a hundred years.....

BahSaidPaschaHumbug Mon 03-Dec-12 09:56:02

Unless you're intending to home educate and never let your child set foot in someone's home, a shopping centre, airport, hotel, train, library, anywhere in a town centre, any school or university, coffee shop, restaurant or choose to live in timbuktoo I think you may not be onto a winner with that one.

Meanwhile, here is a useful site for you I think.

HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Mon 03-Dec-12 09:58:02

No.

I have wifi at home.

Looking at the connection thingie, so do all my neighbours.

And lots of local businesses.

I think there's wifi bouncing around all over the place.

Even if the school got rid of it - it's everywhere. What difference would it make?

never let your child set foot in someone's home

That doesn't even work unless you live in the middle of nowhere. Most people can see their neighbours wifi. Just look into your phone or computer's wireless network connection thingie. But then I guess the OP doesn't have a mobile or TV. They all work on this invisible radio wave isn't it shock.

Unfortunately any negative health effects from WiFi will not be stopped by avoiding it in schools. WiFi is everywhere. I don't have it in my home but can pick up signals from 3 different WiFi networks from my neighbours - when I have tech savvy guests staying they love it because they can piggy-back on to these.

DDs school does not have WiFi, but she is exposed to it everywhere else we go.

WiFi may be harmful to a small extent, in that some people may get diseases triggered by it. But that can be said about anything we have in modern living - the chemicals in the environment and in our food, the general stresses of everyday living, pollution, etc. and a whole host of other modern factors.

Oh FFS. Something else to freak out about at 3am sad

OpheliasWeepingWillow Mon 03-Dec-12 10:44:36

Bad drivers
Choking
Kidnappers

Yes

Wifi - no. Really, no

ByTheWay1 Mon 03-Dec-12 10:48:10

The problem with wifi in schools is that the central hub usually has to be much more powerful than a home wifi - once our head teacher realised this - and the fact that said central hub was just outside his office - he had wired networking to each corridor put in place and then smaller, lower powered wifi hubs there.

I am a bit concerned - I don't have a mobile or cordless phone in the bedroom, and our wifi is off when not in use.... but then my dad (and my gran - his mum) died from a brain tumour - both were strong users of the early analogue mobile phones.... which of course couldn't do any harm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now